Notices

The BB, relativity and big green fluffy balls

Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The BB, relativity and big green fluffy balls

I've read the BB and found it to be a bit wordy, although I love the bit about the Jay Walker - talk about carnage on the streets! Try Jay walking in Hong Kong dude, that will be the first and last time!

Anyhow I analysed word usage in the BB and discovered that over 90% of it was chaff. And knowing that 96% of ppl are naturally lazy (and 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot), I thought to myself - how could I improve the BB, and make it more accessible to your average couch dwelling hominoid? Then it struck me. I mean the bloody BB struck me on the head when I was leaning down to get a different book off the lower shelf (retaliation perhaps for throwing it violently out of the room a few days before).

Everyone knows that Force equals Mass times Acceleration (or should know - where did you go to school?). Now if the Force had been much less, I wouldn't of hurt my head so much. Knowing the acceleration to be 9.81 metres per second per second - an immutable number I would find great difficulty in altering; that left mass - *this* was something I could change.

So in engineering terms, I had my design spec.: to design a much lighter BB that was much more accessible to your man off the street. So off to the drawing board I went. In editorial terms, I made the decision that could prove controversial - to cull major parts of the text while keeping the subject matter light and not losing the message. This is where the big green fluffy balls came into play - I nearly broke my neck tripping over them on a dash down the stairs to get my bowdlerising diary. I also looked at printing onto lighter materials, but could not make it much lighter, without making it much less accessible (the price point would be about five thousand dollars per book to make a 5g BB). Also there was the problem that the book would be so light, it could literally take off on a gust of breeze - clearly some sort of anchor was desirable.

Then it struck me, again damnit that book is going onto the floor. But I also had this idea. I loved reading that Jay Walking story. Perhaps, by culling larger parts of the text and replacing them with shorter versions with equally laughable characters the BB could be a joy to read, while still containing the same message. What about the reckless speeder, the happy go luck sun burn victim, the guy who just ain't gonna stop running with scissors, etc. All of these can provide just as much humour as the Jay walker, and will make the BB much more accessible - I dare you to challenge the humour in someone jogging along and suddenly disappearing into a hole. Classic.

Ok yes maybe then it shouldn't be called a 'big' book, but I like the charm of the name and it could be like nicknaming your huge mate 'tiny'.

All in favour say aye?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

all opossed say nay

good luck with your new book pan,

as you can probably tell, the jay walker story is one of my favorites too, Thats exactly how this alcoholic drank over the years.

I think there have been times when a lot of us wished we could change a few things in the Big Book.

Jay
Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have always analyzed everything to death, convinced that my conclusions held more merit whether it be a diagnosis of some sort or just a simple understanding of how something worked. I have done my fair share of school, perpetual student, so I read the Big Book from cover to cover in rehab. I did the steps by myself the first week out of rehab by studying them, figuring them out and trying to come up with a reason why this is going to make it possible for me to not drink again.

Over the years what I learned is that recovery is not a learned thing. It is in the process of learning to live in recovery that the message becomes clear.

I also learned that when I was busy in my head challenging what I was hearing and analyzing its meaning, I was missing the living part which was going on around me. It's in the journey not the destination.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey guys lighten up a little. Recovery is serious, but laughter makes it bearable. Where I live there is a special charity where ppl dress up as clowns and entertain the sick children in hospital and give them gifts. The kids have the time of their life and forget for the moment that they are feeling terrible.

You may wonder what the point of the thread is. Well the message is manifold. Yes I'll dip a toe into the muddy waters, test the temperature, but also with a prehensile sense, measure the alkalinity, the *sliminess* of the water, before I jump in. Like a smart swimmer I can recognise the tow of the undercurrent in the surf, and get out before being swept off to sea. Ok enough of that metaphor.

Anyhow point is let your hair down, post all your funny stories here. Life's to short to all sit around moping with moosey faces. Pull up a chair, grab an iced tea, or your favourite drink and I'll supply the samosas and pappadums. Let's Party!!!

ps.

All that is required to join this thread is a desire to stop drinking ethyl-alcohol in it's varied shape and forms; and a sense of humour.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps you missed the point of my post or I missed the humor in yours. It's actually kind of funny because I took your post to mean that you were analyzing the contents of the Big Book and, while I respect the BB and it's contents, I was trying to tell you to lighten up and not take it so seriously in my post, without quoting the cliche "keep it simple"
Old 01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Stephanie,

Got your message the first time. It isn't over-analysis in my thread, rather it's the *satire* of over-analysis. Sorry if there's any misunderstanding. One benefit of recovery is my mood has improved immensely.

I chat with checkout chicks now. Ppl smile at *me*, because I smiled first. Ppl look forward to seeing me. I make friends instantly simply because I'm happy. This is a sweet spot I'm in at the moment. And it will keep going, because to me it's not about simply one day at a time; that thought to me is laughable in my own case. It's about changing my lifestyle. And if that means I push the button at the lights and wait for the little green man - then so be it. In fact since I've stopped Jay Walking I haven't looked back!

Anyone care for a pappadum?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Wow, I never tried Pappadum and I went out with a guy who was Punjabi

Sobriety is definitely agreeing with you and that is all you could really hope for. You're enjoying life and that's all anyone wants.

For me, it wasn't so simple. I am a very stubborn individual. In the beginning I may have stopped Jay Walking but I'll be damned if I was going to press the button for that little green man.Ha

Enjoy, it's great to hear what taking the drink out of the equation has done for you. It helps me to hear it.

I'll just slip in this one last anecdote that may lean toward the serious side of things but you're right about the term one day at a time not applying to you. One day at a time is used as a tool to help the person who is struggling with wanting to take a drink. It can be overwhelming for some alcoholics to think of never being able to drink again so thinking about it from the perspective of just not drinking today as all that they'll do, helps. I used to say that I just won't drink today but tomorrow I will take a drink. I got by a couple of months with that.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really no pappadums! If you have a microwave they are literally nature's snackfood. Next time you're at the supermarket get a pack of them. They take about a minute or so to cook, flipping over half way to ensure the bits at the center of microwave get cooked. Serve with a pickle or chutney and if you're anything like me - a freshly brewed Earl Grey tea. Absolute heaven.

For now here's a virtual pappadum, mango chutney, and cup of tea - careful you might spill it! Now we're all settled, tell me more.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alright now we're getting somewhere....big Earl Grey fan!!!! I am practically ostracized for not liking coffee around these parts. I've been drinking Earl Grey since forever.

Now that we're in kibitzing mode, tell me....what is a Panadolsandwich anyway?? I am sure there's a good story here.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lol, panadolsandwich comes from the bad old days where upon waking up with a head throbbing and hungover, I'd take three panadols, placed between forefinger and thumb made a cute little sandwich, lovingly named as panadolsandwich, lol.

Of course I'd hand out the medication to whatever mates had crashed at my house, and fry up whatever was in the fridge - you probably don't want to know about that - nah it wasn't that bad. But my mates loved the term, I thought wow - I'd coined a new word. And the rest is legendary - well maybe not, but least I'm original, and ppl still go wow!, I love your nickname. So I've kept it. I'm currently working on coining a term for watching pre-recorded commercials, you know when you realise you could of just fast forwarded through them? Alas no success so far.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Force=Mass times Acceleration! That explains it! I knew if I stuck around long enough I'd have the answer.
See, I have this scar on my head and couldn't remember for the life of me how it got there. As I was reading Pandy's post and laughing my a$$ off, it came to me that about 30 years ago in Japan, I fell down a flight of stairs in a Japanese hotel when I attempted to take the first step down and succeeded in covering about 12 feet with that one step. I can't help but laugh about it now but I remember thinking to myself, "Geez, all I wanted to do was pee!" Damn near killed me!

Pandy, I have this picture of you in my mind testing the waters and this long tail protruding from behind, wrapped around a branch or tree trunk so tight the blood has rushed out of your face.:p Quite a sight!!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Music *LOL*... the visual of that!

Pan I love pomppadams with curry. Can't find them in these parts but never heard of nuking them! Mom alway's fried them briefly so they puffed up... brings back a lot of memories that did!