Notices

Need help now

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help now

I had my last drink Sunday night. I'm new here (SR) but not totally new to recovery. I didnt want to post this on the Newcomers Forum because I read there are strict rules about debating recovery methods in there. ..and as I mentioned I’m not totally new to recovery, as I was clean and sober for 15 months once (years ago) through AA.
I’m looking for a non-step program, something other than AA. Affordability is a factor, and it seems like a lot of the places I’m finding on the internet are very expensive.
Do any of you know of other support groups that aren’t 12-step based? Not just support groups, but anywhere I can go for help?
Thanks in advance for suggestions and opinions.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can really speak to is AA. There is SMART - AVRT.

I have to ask though - What's your aversion to a 12 step program?

In Alberta, we have treatment centers that you can go to, but they also generally recommend 12 step programs. The reason is that 12 step programs work.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont really want to argue it - but I will respectfully say - it's not for me. I really wanted to like and I feel like I gave it a real shot but there was just too many things and practices that I couldnt fully get on board with.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have any program ideas but if you did it before you can do it again. I'm 10 months and never used a program. Just think about doing what is best for you.No matter how you think you are worth it. Forget pleasing everyone else do it for yourself.You are here so the only thing stopping you now is you.Hang in there and do something to make yourself happy.You deserve it.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wasn't looking to argue it - just wondering.

That being said, whatever you chose to do to get clean and sober, isn't going to be easy. Every method out there has good points and bad. The point being that you're going to have to be willing to do whatever is necessary, good and bad, to achieve your goal. Changing a bad habit takes real commitment.

I'm not trying to be preachy or anything. I just personally know that when I first went to AA, there was lots about it that I didn't like, but there was even more about my inebriated self that I hated. So it ended up being a trade off.

Whatever you chose - commit. I know that I for one will be here to support whatever that choice is, if it works for you.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Snapper , I would have probably never made it without AA and SR, but I know one man with 30 years of sobriety and another with 10 years and neither have ever been to an AA meeting, or anything wlse for that matter. You'll quit if you want to. Lots off help here.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Many States have addiction treatment programs funded through their Health Department. That may be an option if you are able to get to them.

I believe there is a SMART meeting in the downtown Chicago area. The following secular recovery resources; Women for Sobriety, SOS, LifeRing, SMART, CBT, Urge Surfing, DBT and AVRT can help as an addiction treatment program, some have meetings some don't.

You can use SR for support and accountability and then use recovery tools (links above) as a addiction treatment program. I believe with the proper determination a person can make use of whats available for recovery tools and make a solid recovery program. That's what I do and I have the extra challenge as a mental case.

Oh yea, why not join if you haven't already the daily check-in July Class here at SR. There is more accountability if feel in a daily Class.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Snapper and welcome

Have a look here Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery® and also the secular connections forum on here - lots of non AA based information. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Wasn't looking to argue it - just wondering.

That being said, whatever you chose to do to get clean and sober, isn't going to be easy. Every method out there has good points and bad. The point being that you're going to have to be willing to do whatever is necessary, good and bad, to achieve your goal. Changing a bad habit takes real commitment.

I'm not trying to be preachy or anything. I just personally know that when I first went to AA, there was lots about it that I didn't like, but there was even more about my inebriated self that I hated. So it ended up being a trade off.

Whatever you chose - commit. I know that I for one will be here to support whatever that choice is, if it works for you.
sorry if i sounded defensive, I just feel like a lot of AA people try to get me back and I'm really not interested in that.
:-)
thanks for your other suggestions though - i'm reading all about AVRT - it's really interesting stuff, kind of flips everything I thought about addiction on it's head.
peace <3