Notices

Neurofeedback - Just thought I'd share my story.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neurofeedback - Just thought I'd share my story.

I dont know if this will help anyone here, but I just thought for anyone out there who is thinking of options to help them stay sober or whatever their intentions are, that they may want to look into neurofeedback.
I have written on here a few times, way back when I was going through a tough time myself. I saw a doctor and two psychologists.
I am currently receiving CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) and neurofeedback to deal with my anxiety with insomnia symptoms which resulted in me having a huge dependence on alcohol.
Neurofeedback sounds kinda strange, and I have to admit I was nervous about trying it. I honestly thought I was just going to have to blab on about myself to the psych and he would give me advice on how to cope, but no he sat me in a comfortable arm chair, I got to pick a movie of my choice out of about 50 movies, and he stuck little stickers to my head which I couldnt feel doing anything, and I basically sat there for 30 mins watching the movie. I was nervous the whole time but I didnt feel a thing.
Anyways the point of me coming here and telling everyone this is because its just another option for people to try if its available in their area. I am a psychology student so I have access to journals online and I have searched and searched and it seems to be getting really good results. I was skeptical cause I havent heard about this through my studies as of yet. But in combination with CBT (talking to a psychologist) it can help a range of mental illnesses including alcoholism and achieves good results.
I have had about 10 sessions and I am not perfect as of yet, but it recommends about 20-24 sessions to have the full effects. My anxiety has reduced, after 2 months sober I now dont drink every day as I used to, and I restrict to having some drinks to the weekends. But thats just my personal goals. Coping with my anxiety was my goal to overcome and not rely on alcohol.
Obviously any choice to overcome alcohol dependency and addiction is a good choice so whether that be AA, CBT, neuro, whatever, as long as everyone makes a choice to get actually do some thing about it is the most important thing.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe stop the alcohol completely as it's a depressant and can create anxiety insomnia. The CBT may even work better!

Sounds interesting, keep us posted on your results!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Vicious cycle: I am anxious so I drink; drinking is causing more anxiety, so I drink to stop the anxiety from drinking....

Alcohol was contributing greatly to my anxiety and depression, even when I cut back. Psychologist do NOT recommended drinking for people with anxiety and/or depression. They are highly cautioned not to drink.

Nerofeedback sounds like another potentially good add-on tool for treating certain mental disorders and substance abuse issues, but why not take it a step further, and continue cognitive therapy, utilize nerofeedback sessions, and cut of the depressant: alcohol ?

LOL, I am so bad that I was reading your post thinking maybe I could do this nerofeedback and be able to one day drink normally

Thanks for the post
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While I am glad research into mental illnessess and alcoholism
is on going.....I know for me...quitting drinking has been the
best decision I ever made....

Hope you will soon stop drinking ..Welcome back..
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally agree cutting out the alcohol completely is definitely beneficial! However without treating the reason why you resorted to drinking in the first place, for me was pointless. Yes the alcohol increased my anxiety and insomnia, but even without the alcohol I had anxiety about having insomnia which just caused more insomnia.
Please dont think that by doing neuro that its a fix and you can go back to drinking lol. no. Like I said, it depends on the reason you were drinking. Most people will think that when you take out the alcohol your problems go away but for some that is not necessarily the case. I think that kind of separates the alcoholics from the alcohol dependents.
I think applying a uniform solution to everyone is the problem, and I have noticed its quite a frequent solution that many post on here for those who are seeking help. I obviously agree with stop drinking alcohol, its a chemical and only causes the body harm with no beneficial value. However, I think purely seeking out AA for example may be beneficial for those who are alcoholics, but for those who are alcohol dependents and only use alcohol to mask the mental illness that caused them to drink in the first place need to seek the advice of a psychologist. Neuro allows your brain to function in a healthier way by training it to respond to stress, anxiety, depression etc appropriately.
I hope anyone who reads this and is trying to stop drinking alcohol has a good think of whats causing them to drink in the first place. I find this topic very interesting and love hearing others opinions on different strategies to overcome alcoholism.