Notices

Bill Collectors Threatened Me!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Bill Collectors Threatened Me!

I am ashamed to admit but I am scared of a bill collector who is relentless about the collection. I owe close to an estimated $80,000 in medical bills due to alcohol/drugs. Lots of these hospital admissions were when I was homeless. I have no intention of ever paying it because I'm broke & I plan on filing bankruptcy. Lately, the calls have been taking an ominous tone like they will hurt me if I don't pay up. I don't have it. My usual criminal attorney is on vacation so I don't know what to do. My only asset I have is a 12yr old auto that is worth about 3,000. They are threatening to re-possess it but I own it? They call daily & I am getting sick with anxiety.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry but hearing you don't intend on paying your bills is a shame.I guess my blue cross will go up again. Thanks,maybe I should not pay what I owe either.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thats harassment and not tolerated by law. nothing can be repossessed for unpaid medical bills.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

This might help. Make sure you read through the entire thing. At the end they talk about how to turn them in for any violations.

Debt Collection FAQs: A Guide for Consumers

And there's this:

How can I stop a debt collector from contacting me?

If a collector contacts you about a debt, you may want to talk to them at least once to see if you can resolve the matter – even if you don’t think you owe the debt, can’t repay it immediately, or think that the collector is contacting you by mistake. If you decide after contacting the debt collector that you don’t want the collector to contact you again, tell the collector – in writing – to stop contacting you. Here’s how to do that:

Make a copy of your letter. Send the original by certified mail, and pay for a “return receipt” so you’ll be able to document what the collector received. Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again, with two exceptions: a collector can contact you to tell you there will be no further contact or to let you know that they or the creditor intend to take a specific action, like filing a lawsuit. Sending such a letter to a debt collector you owe money to does not get rid of the debt, but it should stop the contact. The creditor or the debt collector still can sue you to collect the debt.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not just file and put it behind you? They will stop bothering you after that.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have some bills from when I went to the hospital and got locked in psych for treatment I DID NOT WANT behind a LOCKED door.

I know what kidnapping and extortion is and the above comes real close. I know I played a part drinking myself into panic attacks and health problems BUT I did not want to stay for $1,200+ dollars a day. I could have got a private doctor and 3 private nurses for that price per day at home !!

I will never pay it.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I don't know how to PM so thank you tom steve for that link. I do owe a few credit cards as well but they are under 1,000. It is simply overwhelming & some people don't realize that I cannot do a payment plan.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Read what paperdolls posted. They are harassing you and there are laws on how they can attempt to collect debt. I am sorry, but bill collectors can be total assholes. My credit is good now thank God, but when I was in college I owed credit card bills I couldn't pay. They told me notbto buy new tires so I could go to my Grandmother's funeral.

Send them letters telling them not to contact you.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The minute you file BK, the calls stop. Not saying that you're going to do that, but I'm just letting you know that once you file, they are legally done.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I am ashamed to admit but I am scared of a bill collector who is relentless about the collection. I owe close to an estimated $80,000 in medical bills due to alcohol/drugs. Lots of these hospital admissions were when I was homeless. I have no intention of ever paying it because I'm broke & I plan on filing bankruptcy. Lately, the calls have been taking an ominous tone like they will hurt me if I don't pay up. I don't have it. My usual criminal attorney is on vacation so I don't know what to do. My only asset I have is a 12yr old auto that is worth about 3,000. They are threatening to re-possess it but I own it? They call daily & I am getting sick with anxiety.

JUSTFOR1,

Contact a bankruptcy attorney and get the ball Rolling. Once you start your filing, your attorney will contact all your creditors and inform them that you are being represented by the of office of _______,Attorney at law for bankruptcy. Once he/she notifies them, it is illegal for the creditors to contact you in anyway. Make sure you include all your creditors in your bankrucpty. You do not have to wait for court to get them off your back. Your attorney will take care of the harrassment for you.

IF they do call you before your attorny contacts them, tell them you have/are filing bankruptcy and then hang up.

Good Look,
T.I.A.B
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try having student loans you can never default on. Oh, they say you can default on them but your debt will remain and they'll garnish your wages until it's paid off or until you die.

Lovely system. , indeed.

Default and get it over with.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

One of my hopes in recovery is that I can heal relationships and build healthy ones from here on out.

Relationships with everyone and everything.

In active addiction I did a lot of fighting, arguing, blaming, ignoring, resenting, and justifying. The fruits of that were bitter.

I don't want to get sober and cultivate more of that in my life.

A year ago this past May someone called 911 because I overdosed. The ambulance ride alone cost 1,900 dollars.

Then there was the hospital stay and the follow up dr's visits, and ongoing psychiatric care and meds.

I earn 15 cents over minimum wage.

I set up payment plans. I worked with the people. Scary stuff. My account was mishandled, and the money not credited and I had to spend many hours on the phone trying to get it sorted out.

I decided that no matter what I was going to be pleasant and respectful to the people I spoke with. In the end part of my bill was forgiven by a manager there because of all the issues that had arisen and my willingness to work with them.

My car is the only thing of value I have and I was terrified I'd lose it. I wanted to scream "can't", and "wont" and tell them I shouldn't have to pay because it wasn't me who called 911. It was really tempting to do that, but I'd made a promise to myself that I wasn't going to do relationships like that anymore.

People get into situations they can't afford, can't understand, and don't have control over. Still and all, I have found that being honest, respectful and working with other people has worked out best for me.

There are means in place to address these situations. Hospitals themselves have account counselors. There are consumer credit counselors. There is bankruptcy. It's scary stuff, frustrating, and tedious but it can be done.

I really hope you can get this worked out soon, without it getting uglier or more frustrating for you.

I had to make mental appointments with myself, and take deep breaths before I made those phone calls. Fight panic when I wrote my payment checks. Kiss the envelope with gratitude that I was addressing the issue when I dropped it in the mailbox. (I am not kidding) but I did it and I feel 1000x better than I did when I lived in denial, resentment and avoidance.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I filed bankruptcy back in 2004 (due to excessive gambling debts) so I think I would have to wait until 2014 to file again. They won't accept $50 a month on a $9,000 bill from when I overdosed. I have trouble with accepting consequences of my addiction because they are so severe & seem to never end!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

there are 2 things that stop the consequences:
1) clearing away the wreckage
2) changing ourselves so the consequences of our actions are positive.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

shakes head

Originally Posted by jumper506 View Post
Sorry but hearing you don't intend on paying your bills is a shame.I guess my blue cross will go up again. Thanks,maybe I should not pay what I owe either.
Could you be any less sympathetic?

The problem are not people--with jobs!--who cannot afford their medical bills.

The problem is the fact that the USA is the only industrialized country without some form of universal health care coverage (and pays more per person than any other).

It is disgraceful that people go bankrupt b/c of medical bills. Access to medical care should be a right and shouldn't put people in the poor house. The number one reason for bankruptcy in the USA is due to medical cost. WTF.

I am so grateful to live in Canada when I read posters whose lives have suffered due to the USA's flawed system where lives are ruined due to no comprehensive/universal coverage for all its citizens.

Justfor1, good luck. I'd file bankruptcy and try to move on.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm sorry just, dealing with the wreckage, personal, financial, legal etc is exhausting and often discouraging...but if we push through it is usually rewarding and healing.

I truly would try setting up an appt with the billing or accounts dept of the hospital. In person if you can, and just be as straight as possible with them, bring a pay stub. Tell them you want to pay it, but that even 50 isn't feasible right now, set up a plan of some type, and be on
time every time with your payment.

I learned, in recovery, that I had the pattern of avoiding ALL confrontation. No matter what. Even if it was not neccessarily going to be conflict! I was terrified to ask a simple question, arrange appointments or plans, anything. I was afraid it might erupt, so I just went to extreme measures to avoid it.

Most people out there are human, and respond to honesty, respect and our own humanity. If we truly sit down and have a heart to heart, show honesty and good will we can often come to an agreement that would not be possible if we ran away, got angry, or even got overly apologetic or confrontational about.

Sitting down and saying "these are the facts, how can we work this out." and staying creative and open minded can bring surprising and satisfying results a great deal of the time.

I work in customer service, and I find myself willing to go the extra mile for someone who is pleasant and respectful.

attitudes are catchy, both positive and negative ones!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In jumper's defense, I don't think he/she said that the system works well. I think instead that it was the op's cavalier attitude towards paying what they owe that was the issue. I can be empathetic without being sympathetic. Unfortunately, until our system is fixed (and I haven't heard great things about other countries...i.e. long waits and poor health care), we have to somewhat play by the rules. And, as you can see from the above post, this seems to be a pattern. I, in no way, want to start a debate about health care systems-we could go on forever.
If what you can afford is $50 a month, that is what I would pay. It may seem like a drop in the bucket but I will give you a sense of accomplishment. Also have you contacted the facility for free bed funds? In my case, a family of 4 could get assistance if they made under $115,000 a yr. That's a pretty high threshold. Again, it's not that I don't feel for you and hope you spoke out of frustration, but I hope you can see how your lack of personal responsibilty towards your bills can keep perpetuating your situation.
Not trying to flame anyone and if you took it that way, I apologize in advance.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the defense Jennikate but I am a republican so I'm used to it. It seems if you are not a liberal nowadays you are awful. Since this is my last post here I'll tell you what I think. It sounds like a few of the people here are whiners and would rather live off someone else rather than to show some responsibility. As far as the obvious left wing attitude, I could never understand how libs say republicans are so mean when all I did was mention the fact that someone should pay what they owe and I am vilified.Kinda reversed I think. It seems to me personal responsibility is what we were taught as children,at least I was.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Bye, jumper!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Come now Jumper, tell us how you really feel.

Justfor1, I will first say that I don't know much about financial matters, bankruptcy or the law, but if you're interested in reading it this is what the Big Book says in step 9 (assuming one has taken steps 1-8 first):

"Most alcoholics owe money. We do not dodge our creditors. Telling them what we are trying to do, we make no bones about our drinking; they usually know it anyway, whether we think so or not. Nor are we afraid of disclosing our alcoholism on the theory it may cause financial harm. Approached in this way, the most ruthless creditor will sometimes surprise us. Arranging the best deal we can we let these people know we are sorry. Our drinking has made us slow to pay. We must lose our fear of creditors no matter how far we have to go, for we are liable to drink if we are afraid to face them."

Through experience, I have truly come to trust that the suggestions in this book always lead me to the best option for my sobriety. I wish you all the freedom and wellness in the world and hope you will do what it takes for your spiritual condition today to get there. I understand you're going through a lot, and it sounds like a quality sponsor would really be to your benefit in every way.

Big Book quotes from the first edition