Notices

Brain Vs Mind The Big difference

Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain Vs Mind The Big difference

The basic problem with the medical model is that people take it literally rather than understanding it as the metaphor it is. The medical model portrays the mind as an object. It equates mind with brain and uses this assumption to justify defining certain thoughts, feelings, and behavior as medical diseases...

I see it like this:

Brain-Noun

Mind-verb

I am a spirtitual being having a human expierience... get it ?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

James007, you raise an ages old question. Just where is pure consciousness, awareness, thought? What happens to it after we die? Are the alcohol cravings some feel just part of the mental chatter (the brain talking to itself, doing what minds do). Can pure awareness, deep knowing rise above the mental chatter? If we can understand that the mental chatter is normal "mind talk" and awareness is above that then why can't everyone just quit drinking by ignoring the mental chatter or at least understanding what it is? I say they can. Just some food for thought...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Are the alcohol cravings some feel just part of the mental chatter (the brain talking to itself, doing what minds do)? If we can understand that the mental chatter is normal "mind talk" and awareness is above that then why can't everyone just quit drinking by ignoring the mental chatter or at least understanding what it is? I say they can. Just some food for thought...
Seeking pleasure is normal mind talk, a sign of a healthy brain. The pleasure seeking can get out of hand when we seek mind altering substances, and the mental chatter can get deafening when the supply of those substances are threatened.

I believe that we can rise above our feelings, and that we are more than our feelings. Understanding the chatter and rising above it is how many folks just decide to quit drinking. Then they do it.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=freshstart57;3491178] AVRT has shown me how to never drink again and to never change my mind. [QUOTE]

AVRT interesting, I like the real A.A and Idea of a spirtitual disease...Higher power ect... But all that psychiatric brain disease stuff gets a little nuts, there is nothing wrong with my brain ! Its not even A.A that sais that there is. but I hear that at meetings anyway "My brain..." Does this AVRT have a fellowship ?

Stinkin thinkin is not a brain disease !! Its just thinkin of drinking !
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There aren't any face to face meetings for AVRT now, but you can participate in message boards to discuss and learn about it. The best one of course for this is right here at Sober Recovery. There is a very active discussion of AVRT and other alternatives to 12 Step Recovery plans at our Secular Connections forum.

SMART Recovery has meetings, both online and in person, and you will likely find some AVRT discussion included with discussion of other evidence based recovery strategies.

I agree that we are not powerless, and our brains work just fine, thank you very much. We make the wrong choices sometimes, but that can be fixed. For fellowship, I like this place, it does the trick for me. Best to you.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"
...Higher power ect... But all that psychiatric brain disease stuff gets a little nuts, there is nothing wrong with my brain ! Its not even A.A that sais that there is"

i have to disagree with AA not saying there is something wrong with our brain. these are quotes from the BB:

On the other hand-and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand-once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol

Of necessity there will have to be discussion of matters medical, psychiatric, social, and religious

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or go permanently insane.

The doctor said: "You have the mind of a chronic alcoholic. I have never seen one single case recover, where that state of mind existed to the extent that it does in you." Our friend felt as though the gates of hell had closed on him with a clang.

Of necessity there will have to be discussion of matters medical, psychiatric, social, and religious.

These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion. Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body.

The doctor said: "You have the mind of a chronic alcoholic. I have never seen one single case recover, where that state of mind existed to the extent that it does in you." Our friend felt as though the gates of hell had closed on him with a clang.