Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I have never drank so much soda or ate so many sweets in my life...

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been keeping sober since the day after the fourth of july, but I've definitely replaced one addiction for another. I've upped my coffee/soda/sweets intake considerably. I don't want to live a completely ascetic life however High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame have bad health consequences. Can't help myself though. It seems to be, in the meantime, either that unhealthy **** or booze.

Severe depression and anxiety are still crippling at times, however that's an entirely different issue altogether.

Best wishes,

Gourd.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us develop a sweet tooth Gourd...,try and consider some healthier alternatives - fruit instead of candy - and maybe some nice teas or sparkling water in place of the soda

I hope your depression/anxiety will lift too - if not I hope you'll consider seeing a Dr

D
Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's still early for you and it took me about 2 months before
I was back in balance mentally and physically.

Good to know you are continueing your sobriety...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been reading that AA approved book Living Sober. It in fact recommends people in early sobriety to go for sweet foods and drinks as a possible replacement for alcohol. Obviously it's going to be a good idea to choose the juices and the healthy sweet things as opposed to lots of artificial sugar. But either way, if it keeps your craving under control may be it's not worth worrying about too much just yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I second reading Living Sober. That's a fantastic little book.

I absolutely refuse to give up my sugar! Not yet anyway...Don't worry about it Gourd. Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it so it's a bit of a shock to the system to take it all away. I justify it now by eating really healthy food and then follow it with lots of chocolate!

Nice Beethoven btw x
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hia

I think most of us go through the sugar phase - Hypo's right about the sudden lack of it in your diet sending you a bit haywire.

I've managed to mostly replace the chocolate with fruit now - chopped fruit in soy yoghurt is AMAZING and tastes like pudding. Also, no booze makes it much easier to work out, so try taking up some exercise and burning off the sugar.

Good luck

xx
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

milk, lots of water, fruit juice, eating fruits & veggies. gotta balance things when ya can
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took me a while to get over all those sugar cravings! I have since giving up all sugar and processed food, but I think at the beginning it's best to just focus on being sober - you can worry about all that later. Congrats on your sober time so far
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I wouldn't call that replacing one addiction for another. You are only newly sober, and it's not like you are out there smoking crack, and popping Xanies. I seriously wouldn't worry about the sugar at all. I mean are you eating a 3 lb box of chocolate a day and downing a few 2 liters of pop, followed by a pot of coffee and gained 100 lbs. What is it with us people with drinking problems; so worried and hard on ourselves!

I would be more concerned about the anxiety and depression, are you going to a doctor? What's up with that? Keep us posted, OK?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't worry about eating a lot of sweets during the first stages. Go easy on yourself and just remember that candy never threatened to ruin your life. I found that the cravings for sugar abated after a few months.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I would be more concerned about the anxiety and depression, are you going to a doctor? What's up with that? Keep us posted, OK?
To a doctor? I don't have a job (and the only jobs available are ones with crappy pay and no benefits) and I'm not paying 75 dollars so the arrogant jerk can prod around and recommend medication with horrible side effects I can't afford. Nearly all doctors I have met in my life think themselves infallible and all-knowing when they misdiagnose, over-diagnose all of the time. I don't trust them at all.

If I could afford it I'd go to a therapist instead. No anti-depressants; no pharmaceuticals; no drug pushing. Find a person who has a modicum of understanding, compassion and intelligence and proceed.

So right now I'm **** out of luck. The only person who can get me out of this life rut is myself.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In Beyond the Influence, they cover diet and the depression/anxiety connection. Like others have said it's tough to take ALL of the sugar away so make small changes. I drink Chocolate Protein Shakes with some extra Cocoa at night (which is a sweet trigger for me.)

Anyway, in the book, after the guy was sober for a few months, his anxiety/depression was still a bother until he changed his diet one that increased his protein, included lots of fruits and veggies, limited grains, and little if any refined sugar.

It's early in the process and it's going to take time for your body to adjust Hang in there!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I stayed away from sweets for years when I was drinking. Now, I indulge my sweet tooth, but try to put a limit on it, which I could never do with alcohol.