Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Update: It’s a longie but a goodie- plus rambling

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Hi, it’s been around 5 weeks since I drank. I did have the stupidity to do another drug and had a terrible experience. I realize what happened was that I allowed myself to entertain the idea of doing other drugs that I have done in the past in place of alcohol. I was saying to myself “It’s not a good idea to do other drugs, keep a clear head, but I wasn’t giving myself an absolute no!” Plus I chose to be around people doing drugs, and had some in the house. Anyhow, the great thing about the whole experience with having a really bad trip, and even some residual paranoia is that I have lost my desire to replace beer with drugs. I had fun in the past, but because I know the reality of what I am doing to myself so it isn’t fun anymore. I guess the truth really can set you free. I have to say, I am honestly enjoying being sober. I never thought I would say that, but I really am. I am looking forward to going to a metal show next week, sober. I don’t think I have ever gone to a show sober, and I am excited about it. I plan to have some crazy head banging fun without the booze. On a side note, it sure is nice going to the grocery store with my BF and not having an argument about the amount of beer I am buying. I am not saying I have arrived; hell no, but I am off to a good start, and every time I think of drugs and drinking these days I get this sick, yucky, bogus feeling all over. I was so scared of change, but why the hell not fully welcome changes in myself that are for the better! I am stubborn I guess, and tend to hold tight to my misery.

Oh, one more thing. My friend came over super drunk last night banging on my door. I witnessed some angry at the world, **** drunk, and close to psychotic behavior. There was no talking him down from the fence. The cops came, bad sh*t happened, and all I could think about was how that could have been me. I saw my own craziness in the past, and how I was so glad it wasn’t me. I felt badly for him though. It did suck going through that, but it just reinforced my desire to be sober. I loathe that crazy drunken drama.

Still going one day at a time. Thanks again guys for all your support, advice and for reading my posts an giving a hoot
Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I am looking forward to going to a metal show next week, sober.
Just be careful. I had to quit going to shows. I was too worried about drinking, since I always associated seeing a metal band (or any band for that matter) with getting hammered.

Three weeks after I first quit, Whitechapel came to town and I was ready to give up my vow to quit. I just couldn't imagine going and not drinking. Well, I skipped the show and haven't been a concert in almost two years.

I used to think I loved the music and the show. I do, but I just loved the getting drunk more.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you, but music is my life and a big part of our livelihood. I couldn't stop going to shows even if I wanted to stop, which I do not. Hell, I would rather give up my right arm. But, I am really sick of getting drunk or buzzed at shows, so it shouldn't be a problem plus my BF doesn't drink and he will be there. I am honestly really looking forward to having a good time sober. I can be a lot of fun when I am not worrying about how much I am drinking.Thanks though for the concern Man, I couldn't imagine no shows for 2+ years, but I guess you have to do what you have to do. Good for you.

Take care
Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

excellent news Metal Chick!!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice to see you getting right back on track.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

i know what you mean about sober fun.
It sure beats being a drunken mess...
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this can be your turning point MC

D
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee,
Me too. after that last stunt, I was sick to my stomach for like 4 days, and couldn't keep anything down, not even water, for 2 days. I just never want to go back to what I was doing. I know in my heart if continued down that path of progression, I would have destroyed my career, health, relationships, and my sanity. That was where I was headed fast. I was so afraid to admit that drinking was the culprit of the majority of my problems, because then i would have to stop.

Carol,
so right. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to have fun without drinking, or be fun. I am learning that it is not true. I am building new good times sober, and I remember when i used to have fun without drinking. Drinking and sometimes drugs became my main almost only source of entertainment. But it isn't much fun when you wake up in a panic not remembering the night before.

Sudz, and Live2run,

Thanks for your support
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I am looking forward to going to a metal show next week, sober. I don’t think I have ever gone to a show sober, and I am excited about it. I plan to have some crazy head banging fun without the booze.
Like you, I don't think... actually, now I think about it, I'd never been to a show sober until I went to the Download festival this year. I might have missed the first day because I was hiding in my tent from the cravings - it seemed as if everybody else was drinking - and after slogging through the mud, struggling to put my tent up, and slogging through the mud again to get to the toilet, I really wanted to as well.
But in the next two days I saw more bands sober than I had in the rest of my life. And it was pretty ****ing good.
As you say, you'll have your BF with you, and that's great. My fiance doesn't really share my taste in music, which is a pity.
But yes, you don't have to drink to have a good time at shows. Brilliant, isn't it?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MalkavianEmily,

That's cool I like a lot of those bands. Even though you missed the 1st day it looks like the last 2 days had the best bands. Ha, I can picture myself hiding in the tent for a bit too. But that's awesome that we know we can have a good time sober, we are brilliant! \m/

LOL, I bet you remember the show this time