Notices

My first real test

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first real test

So I'm finally here on our 2 week long vacation to visit my ILs. We stayed at his aunt's house overnight and then drove the rest of the way here.

I was able to turn drinks away fairly easily last night and today. Verbally, it's very easy to just say "No thanks" but this being the first time I'm really around it and others drinking, it gets to me. I understand now what people say when they talk about it being something they know makes them feel like **** but still have that desire to drink it. I still have that desire Seeing the cold beer in his aunt's fridge, the small glass of wine my MIL is able to drink, the vacationing SIL who's able to drink her drink without downing it and going for another. It's really the first time in the 3.5 weeks I've stopped that I'm bitter despite everything I know and understand about what I've done to my body and what it will do if I slip up.

I was able to talk to MIL and she wasn't as pushy as I thought she'd be but she did say maybe I could have a glass of wine on Sunday for our family picnic. Thank goodness dh stepped in and said, "No that's not a good idea." Realizing she wasn't getting it, He said I was drinking half a bottle of vodka in a night. Then she said, "That's why I don't drink the hard stuff...I just drink wine...you should just drink wine." I informed her that um yeah, that won't work because where she could have a glass or two, I will want to drink the whole bottle simply because it's there. Her response was "Oh" and I think that was the first time she really kind of got it. So even though it sounds pretty awkward, it was better to just get it out there instead of making up stories or being vague. With this woman, vague apparently isn't an option LOL.

It's going to be tough but in a different way than I thought.