Notices

weight loss/new member

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weight loss/new member

Hello,

Today I am one week sober. I am 26 years old and have drank every day since I was 21. This is the longest I have gone without drinking since I started drinking.

Since I quit, I have also gone completely vegetarian and have not had any coffee, although I will begin drinking coffee again in a few days. I just wanted to give my liver a break. I also started running.

I am hoping to also lose some weight from this, so far I can't tell a difference. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and congratulations!

The best weight loss diet I've ever been on was the "only raw fruits and veggies" diet. I'd only do it for two weeks at a time. Made me physically weak and of course I needed those essential amino acids eventually. Coffee is a different story. I consider coffee one of the three major food groups along with doughnuts and cigarettes and, as we all learned in grade school, the pyramid will fall if you remove any one side. Don't be messin' with my pyramid!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought coffee had some antioxidents?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yea, it does. i love coffee...

again, giving my liver a break. I drink a lot of coffee.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm currently in my 4th month of sobriety. I started running again almost straight away and clock about 40 miles a week on average. I have gone through stages of quitting sugar (for 10 weeks), cutting all processed carbs (still going), and upping my protein and eating regularity (12 weeks and will start again next week) - at the moment I'm on my 10th day in a liquid cleanse, and will finish over the next week and then back to regular vegetarian, clean eating. Since I have become sober I've gone from 171cm and 68.5kg (my heaviest ever) to 56kg (I'm hoping to maintain around 54kg) and have gained considerable muscle.

It's best to see a nutritionist and work out the best plan for your body - but overall - alcohol makes you lazy and gross - so quitting that is step one (well done) - now just maintain a healthy lifestyle and you'll see results - perseverance and patience is the key - like all great achievements!

Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello newmember. Congrats on giving it a rest for awhile. Hopefully soon you may decide to give it up for good. I wanted to give you my 2 cents on this subject.

I don't mean any disrespect to any vegetarians out there, but I personally wouldn't want to go that route for any length of time. I have been following a low-carb lifestyle for a little over a year now, and I'm slowly switching over to a Paleo / Primal way of eating. Obviously this lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I am an active member of a popular low-carb forum that has a lot of ex-vegetarians on the boards. The ones that post say they feel 1000 times better following lower carb / Paleo ways of eating.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but being quite active, and involved in weight training, I certainly wouldn't want to go total vegan for many reasons. My biggest problem with it would be trying to get adequate protein to retain skeletal muscle. I know hardcore vegans say you can get complete proteins from beans, and other combos of food within the scope of the diet, but most of them don't ever look quite right to me...like something is missing...like animal fats and proteins.

If you plan on just trying it for a couple / few weeks, that should be no problem, but I wouldn't reccomend it long term. I guess it depends on your goals, and what your reasons are for doing it. A lot of fruits and veges would definitely be benneficial in getting your levels of vitamins and minerals back up where they should be. Chronic, steady power-drinking robs us of many vital nutrients we need to be at our best for sure.

I'll cut this rant short, but feel free to PM me, or ask in the thread so others can discuss too. I am a certified personal trainer, and I am fairly knowlegeable on supplementation and nutritional matters. I'm sure you'll get conflicting ideas on both sides of the topic. I was always in conflict with myself for decades, and my friends were always baffled how I could take such good care of myself with diet and exercise, and pound booze around the clock at the same time. I told them it wasn't easy An alcoholic does what he or she has to do until we decide to change things. Good luck on your venture.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome newmember
congratulations on your week

D
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, newmember. I say, if "lose weight"/get healthy motivates you to stop drinking, give 'er! Congrats on your week!

For reference: I'm 28, drinking problem for the last 4 years, and yeah, I want to lose weight too - all those booze calories (plus the greasy-hangover-food) had to go somewhere...and I think I know where. I think my pants do, too.

It's helpful, too, when people ask why I'm not drinking: I say I'm trying to lose weight and, hence, eliminating liquid calories.

I realize this may not be a long-term solution but, if it's working for now/helping/making it easier - what's the harm? I guess if - no, scratch that - WHEN the weight comes off, "fitness" can be the long-term solution. (I don't know about you, but I sure wasn't going for a run drunk or hung-over!)

My only caution would be about attemping to change too many things at once....If it's "all-or-nothing," it usually implodes into "nothing." Then again, maybe a huge effort IS required?

Anyone have an opinion on this? I am clearly conflicted...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and congratulations on being sober for a week. That's wonderful news, I'm pleased for you

Since I've been sober I have lost about 20lbs. I've still got another 10ish to go. I've been sober 3 and a half months. I've also cut out all processed carbs and sugar, eating mainly salads and protein. I don't know how much of those 20lbs came from giving up alcohol... but I think it has definitely made a difference. Not only the calories from the alcohol but the calories from the poor food choices I would make whilst inebriated and whilst hungover.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

I cant recall my exact math But I think my additional beer consumption had me in the 12-15,000 extra calories a week just for that. When i quit I lost only 17 lbs (mind you i was well over 100lbs overweight) so it made very little sense to me that i could eliminate that much from my diet eat basicly the same as always and not loose more.

Fast forward I'm over a year sober now and not drinking or smokeing has for wtvr reason allowed me to muster up courage to try and really loose weight. as a result I've lost an additional 76lbs so far.

That being said quiting along probably wont allow you to loose a ton. But quiting along with proper diet and exercise will have an incredible effect assuming your consistant and stick with it etc..

Its not entirely about weight loss tho or how i look for me. Its maily about how i felt. I felt lowsy. I finally feel like i'm getting somewhere and maybe i wont keel over from a heart attack.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job newmember! However, I'd have to say you have it backwards on the coffee. Four cups of coffee per day actually appears to reduce risk of liver damage:

archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=410422

Conclusion These data support the hypothesis that there is an ingredient in coffee that protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks everyone!

i'm not quitting JUST for weight loss. far from it.

i have been to a few AA meetings so far and those have been extremely helpful. I am still working on finding a few that are for younger people.

any other tips that were helpful to you guys as far as diet goes would be greatly appreciated. not for weight loss, in general.

thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

I've managed to overcomplicate dieting. and by that i've read into it way more then is really required.

One incredibly easy way to feel good and get fit etc.. is avoid all white sugar or refined flower IE (white flower). eat only whole real ingrediants (read the label you dunno what it is? dont eat it). No corn syrup no nitrates no processed foods.

For sugar eat fruit toss some honey in your coffee heck eat it alone its great for you.
Gobble down all the veggies you can (organic if possible)
Be sure to eat your fish etc..

Dont be fryen stuff give coconut oil a try.

Basicly shop around the perimiter of the store. Hit the produce pick up a pack of meat dozen eggs gallon of milk and be on your way. If your going to get bread get some whole grain something or other make sure theres no corn syrup and thatyou know what most of them ingrediants are!.

go for a walk 30 min a day. Not satisfied? stuff your face with more veggies there awesome for you.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always a good idea to check with a Dr, or at least a nutritionist, before starting any diet - especially a rather severe one.

We can be all or nothing creatures...I actually made myself sick by going from extreme to extreme.

D