Notices

Coming Home -advice

Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming Home -advice

Hello Everyone:

My RAH entered in patient therapy last Friday for a 30 day stone.he hit his rock bottom after many years of drinking including attending outpatient counseling and going to AA while still actively drinking although seemingly less since entering the IOP. He was laid off and last week, his last week, he stayed home and drank vodka vodka for eight straight days. He had his holy **** moments when he woke up on the kitchen floor, he was shaking, dry heaving, committing - scared the **** out if him like I've never seen.

So he's in rehab. Hes been calling me every day since Friday, he's in the adult psych ward cuz that the only place with a bed. He said today when they move him to the rehab part he probably won't be able to call as often, I'm totally fine with that, I'm loving this time to rest nd work my program. I stopped going to Al Anon a couple of months ago after three years. I feel I've learned what I can out of it and I'm just tired of talking about this subject, it's a way to take care of myself, is to be with myself aline without unfluencez.

He says he is loving it there, is learning a lot, getting a lot out of everything and feels strongly he did the right thing. He's already losing weight, his diabetes is leveling out, and likes the AA meetings, groups and such. Today, he said when he gets out of there, he'll be a totally new man and he hopes I'll still like him. I've heard and read in these forums that the RAH will be a different person after rehab.

So my question is that I'd like to read about others experiences of "coming home", good and bad, if anyone is inclined. I'd like to have some knowledge on the subject from the sources. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just found a great thread here, quitting what to expect and it is very helpful.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No advice or expereinces to share but sending prayers
for a return to harmony for both of you
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly, I was terrified to come home. The hospital was a safe place where I didn't have to deal with life. Meals were provided, meds came at certain times. No kids, bills, work, etc. I was very anxious about coming home because everyone in my town knew about my "problem". I was scared to go back to work. I felt like everyone was looking at me. I know this sounds pathetic and perhaps paranoid but....it's my experience.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jenni, what you describe sounds logical to me. I was in a hospital for 30 days for an injury about 10 years ago and I know what you mean about feeling anxious being out in the world. In our case, my RAH is a home drinker, and I know some of his friends know he drinks alot, and only a few know the real story. He was laid off work after 8 years with the same company, which is one reason I believe he hit the bottle hard to hit rock bottom. At least when he comes home and finds a new job, it'll be a new beginning in a lot of ways for him. Luckily, he gets a severance package that'll keep us somewhat secure for a few months while he works at rehab, then job hunts. I can only believe that his sober self will find work quickly and as I said, new beginnings in all areas.

I'm guarded but optimistic right now. I really appreciate your post, continued good fortune to you!