Notices

Self will????

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Self will????

It obviously screwed up my life and I dont really understand it or how to let go of it and give it to God...Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Luke 12:24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!

Ponder it. Your still here your still alive and well. Theres a reason and a season for everything. You have to let it go sometimes.

I find myself in impossible situations. There isnt anything i can do but let go. Living by faith. Regardless of who your higher power is its a pretty awesome thing to know that your not alone He's looken out for you he's got your back he's got you coverd your life has value and is always going to be very important to at least Him.

pretty friggen cool if you ask me.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If your willing, maybe hit a few AA meetings & listen. If it makes sense...keep going...read also....24 hours a day, the big book, letting God....etc....good luck
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I would just like to talk to an alcoholic without the mention of God. Nothing against Him but thats all I hear.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I go to AA every day thats why I am annoyed with it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Great questions!

We can't give what we don't have, and so being responsible for 'owning' our self-will is paramount and essential to honestly living with the realities and rewards offered with practising the change over from self-will to free-will.

My self-will runs riot when I live as a drinking alcoholic. No matter my game-plan, my self-will always ruined my life, driven by the destructiveness of my alcoholism. This short description of my alcoholic self-will is what was handed over to my HP. In exchange, I received a sober free-will, and with this new responsibility, and new psyche, and new practices, I achieved sober living.

To some of course, self-will, and free-will, are one and the same, To me, the differences are as obvious as the qualities between abstinence and sobriety.

So my suggestion is to differentiate your problems with self-will and drinking, and your solutions with not-drinking and free-will. Discriminating between the two opposites opened my mind to a different world of understanding, and with such a new understanding, the ways forward became crystal clear.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
I would just like to talk to an alcoholic without the mention of God. Nothing against Him but thats all I hear.
I can talk without mentioning any supernatural God. However, I can't honestly do AA without talking about my spiritual understanding of my own HP.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I am not drinking, but I am still accused of not giving my will to God. Dodnt God give us free will?????????????
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Don't sweat accusations. Opinions are everywhere, and so it is rare to discover an opinion that is a deal-breaker, you know?

If you're not drinking, that is awesome. If you're having trouble letting go, that is honestly a normal condition, don't sweat the experience. Go with it, and follow your heart, your intuition, do the program, let go of your alcoholic mind, and grasp dearly onto your changing psyche, and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

God gave us free will but our corruptable flesh is what drives us to do some of the nonsense we do.

The solutions are simple to many issues in life but we as humans have such a hard time getting it sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by not giving your will to God. I might say hope I'm doing Gods will. And or doing the right things.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I posted more in the New o Recovery section. I would like to talk to someone in early sobriety about how it sucks without the mention of God bc right now I dont get it. I just want a friend to talk to not just someone who is rehashing the BB. Thats what you get when you talk to people in AA, just rehashing the BB they dont care about how u truely feel. They ask you to talk then tell you pour pour me another drink and read the BB.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to listen more to yourself and find a better method? It sounds like you are frstrated andoverloaded enough to be angry?
cut yourself a break from this routine and see how you feel.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a hard time with the "God thing" too - the closest I can come to conceptualizing a "higher power" or "life force" or whatever you want to call it, is when I think of a seed. I can hold a seed all day and it will never grow. I can plant it, and water it, but I can't make it grow. I don't know what does, I just have to trust it has something to do with something I don't understand. Maybe I won't ever understand, but I don't need to understand it to trust that the seed will, somehow, grow.

It's a free-will thing: choosing to trust.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I pray and meditate I understand why but why cant I find someone just to talk to or vent to without speaking to "BB"?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

"I posted more in the New o Recovery section. I would like to talk to someone in early sobriety about how it sucks without the mention of God bc right now I dont get it. I just want a friend to talk to not just someone who is rehashing the BB. Thats what you get when you talk to people in AA, just rehashing the BB they dont care about how u truely feel. They ask you to talk then tell you pour pour me another drink and read the BB."

Thats exactly my problem with AA. I dont exactly want to talk about drinking or the big book my problem is the issues that got me there those are the issues i'd like to just talk to someone about and work through. those are the issues i went to AA for thinking i'd get help with. But the focus of AA is all about staying sober it seems. This is why I havent picked a sponsor that and I dont know anyone all that well.

Maybe i should just pay a therapist. I've talked my friends ears off rehashing the same problems and getting no answers.

I think I see what your saying.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I get you ZJW, I understand that members in AA are going to be honest tell you how it is but I dont always want to talk about alcoholism. YOu do this or that bc you are an alcoholic. I am human too with emotions!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

All I can tell you is how I think about this. IMO we were all given a “will”, that is, the power of choice, for a reason. We cannot give it away, or give it back. However, exactly because of this, we are free to ALIGN our will with that of a higher power. In other words, to do what we think is the right, ethical, and/or moral thing to do. This is often in conflict with what seems to be the thing that will make us “feel good”. Doing this right/moral/ethical thing is not giving up self-will, but rather the choice to live an existence on a deeper and more meaningful level. It’s a level more free from the boundaries of self . The experience of this can only be obtained when those right/moral/ethical decisions are made, and experienced most fully when those right/moral/ethical decisions are made when they seem to be at the expense of ourselves.
I'm not sure if this addresses any of your concerns but it's where I go when I hear something like what you have posted.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
I would like to talk to someone in early sobriety about how it sucks without the mention of God bc right now I dont get it. I just want a friend to talk to not just someone who is rehashing the BB. Thats what you get when you talk to people in AA, just rehashing the BB they dont care about how u truely feel. They ask you to talk then tell you pour pour me another drink and read the BB.
I understand how you feel Innerchild. I don't have a vast amount of experience with AA, but the sometimes the repetition of slogans and readings from the BB can seem a bit abstract and the very basic matters of how not to pick up a drink can be a bit buried! But then I think that structure can be very good for some people at the start. Or it can be a bit stifling. Why don't you mix it up a bit. Find a SMART meeting, or just any non 12 step support group. Or get a person centred therapist. You probably need to vent a bit x More than anything you sound like you could do with a hug! :ghug3
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks I am having a really hard time letting goand frustrated that I cant talk to anyone who is not a therapist or someone in AA who tells me I am a baby and pour me another drink.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Innerchild,

I understand the struggle you're having; I had it, too, and spent a lot of years tying myself up into knots trying to figure this stuff out. I never did. I felt much better when I stopped trying. I've now been sober for almost 14 years without turning my will over to God.

There's nothing wrong with AA if it works for you, but if you aren't comfortable there it's okay! You can give another recovery approach a try, or join the large number of people who just use SR support.