Notices

Self will????

Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

how to let go of it and give it to God...Anyone have any ideas?
The 12 steps
Old 07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I go to AA. I share what worked for me. I am not sure what you mean by you don't want to always talk about alcoholism. Can you please explain that?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

My life revolved around drinking now it revolves around alcoholism. I want to be a normal person with a life without drinking
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
My life revolved around drinking now it revolves around alcoholism. I want to be a normal person with a life without drinking
The only way I could get a life without drinking was working the 12 steps. I can only share what worked for me. I so bad wanted to be normal. I am not normal and I am okay with that. It took me a while to get there.

Do I talk a lot about recovery? You bet I do. I have a lot to be grateful for. There is also a time that it isn't possible.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

It obviously screwed up my life and I dont really understand it or how to let go of it and give it to God...Anyone have any ideas?
"Practice these principles" sums up the process of just about every type of recovery program I have run across. When it comes to principles the one that seems to works best to liberate the most people is Humility.

Not the kind of humility that makes us feel humiliated. I am talking about the kind of humility that gives us an open mind to the truth. The truth about our selves, the truth about our weaknesses and the truth about our potential to change.

If you really want to change your life as well as your obsessive compulsions, try following this simple formula;

1. Learn as much about humility as you possibly can.
2. Practice humility as you possibly can.
3. Learn as much about benevolence as you possibly can.
4. Practice benevolence as you possibly can.
5. Learn as much about spiritual detachment as you possibly can.
6. Practice detachment as much as you possibly can.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It obviously screwed up my life and I dont really understand it or how to let go of it and give it to God...Anyone have any ideas?
I grow and give more each day. Some days I take back, some I give back. I aim to give more than take. It's a growth process.

Now that being said I think the whole inner child stuff is pure BS and lets the person assume the role or label of Victim. But hey,, JMO..

Prayer and prayer. Are you on your knees when you pray? Be humble. That is giving it to God IMO.

AG
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
zjw

"My life revolved around drinking now it revolves around alcoholism. I want to be a normal person with a life without drinking"

Yeah I cant agree with you more on that one. It was fading for me having never gone to AA etc.. and got a year of sobriety under my belt. Then i signed up here now i'm going to meetings and I'm annoyed the one thing I didnt want to happen has. It seems it all relvolves around it now again and I was moving forward. Not that this little detour hasnt been beneficial. Its been great But i'd kinda like to move on from this as well. I've pondered not logging in here any longer and blowing off the AA meetings all together. Ya know why I havent? I feel guilty I feel this inner obligation to help others. I have too much compasion etc.. I think otherwise i could walk from it pretty easily but i see people who are having problems working through stuff I already have etc.. and i eagerly hope i can help.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

AA doesn't really have a lot to offer you but the BB, the steps, and God (higher power). That is just what AA is. You can get fellowship in the meetings, but most people there will want to talk about the BB, the steps and God. If you don't want that then then try SMART or AVRT. Whatever you do, don't drink. There isn't a problem out there that pouring alcohol on can't make worse.