Notices

The Voice - What's That All About Then?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Voice - What's That All About Then?

Hi all. I'll start the post by saying that I am sober - and I feel good about it, this isn't a post about me feeling on edge or anything like that.

The voice that says "just one drink" for example. What is that? I know that people have different names for it - the alcoholic voice etc. I don't know if there is an actual answer to this question, and I suppose it doesn't matter really, but it does make me curious about it. Is it the a withdrawal symptom inside the brain, is it a memory of a good time when you had the drink?

I only ask because I know people here will have more of an idea than me.

It just astonishes me that no matter what hell this drug, disease - whatever - puts us through, that voice is still there at times. Like I say, I suppose it doesn't matter really as long as you can cope with it - it does interest me though.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Most of my life I've dealt with three;
nagging antagonist, a congratulatory, and an opportunistic sneaky voice.
(Not like schizophrenic voices... )
To me, the voice = compulsions pushed into our conscious\thinking brain by those deep down 'old' involuntary parts, like the urges people get telling them to eat heavily when food is plentiful.

With over nine months of solid sobriety, rejecting 'them' quickly and moving on with something else, they rarely get to me anymore. I can go through those nagging voice days knowing that will pass if I remain sober, if I feed it it becomes strong again. I don't need a drink to congratulate myself for a job well done and I really am enjoying that.
Only leaves the most dangerous one to me, the quick opportunistic voice\urge which is waiting for the absolute perfect combination of events; when the drink is right there, my emotions are too high (or low) and my conscious brain goes on autopilot. All it would take is a split second at that point, I have to keep control of my mood and those compulsions.

I'm certain all of our voices are different in some way, we all are, someone with PTSD as opposed to Bipolar will expierence different voice\triggers etc...
Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AVRT defines the addictive voice as any thought, feeling, or image that supports future drinking/use. Sometimes it's expressed as conscious thought, like, "Hey, maybe this time it would be different." Other times I experience it as a mental picture, like the image of a cold beer sitting in sunlight. Even self doubt—"I'm not sure I can handle being sober at my friend's party"—is considered AV. After all, fear and insecurity are addiction's allies.

The key is to do just what you're doing—recognize it for what it is, and remember it has no power to make you drink. All it can is to trick you into believing you want or need a drink. But you don't want that at all. Your addiction—AVRT calls it "The Beast" to reinforce its otherness—wants to drink. You don't. Luckily, you get to call the shots.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me, that voice that said,"just one" was the disease of alcoholism. its a disease that tells me i dont have a disease, everythings all good, keep on drinking. its a liar.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bored3, you got this idea about a voice that tells you to drink. Believe it or not, this can mean that you are so close to being sober forever.

ReadyandAble gave this voice a name that is often used, the Addictive Voice. The fact that you recognize this as not being you, or at least, as part of you that should be ignored, is another great sign.

If you want to know more about this, then take a look in another SR forum called Secular Connections, and look for threads with 'AVRT' or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique in the title. This can be a very powerful way to look at your drinking with a view of becoming securely and permanently abstinent. It did the trick for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
abc

I love torturing my AV. I love how mad he gets when I strip him of his privileges. You have to get into the sadistic pleasure of it all. It's me against him. And guess who is gonna win? ME!

I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN AND I WILL NEVER CHANGE MY MIND !
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You never have to drink again....regardless of voices...cravings or urges.
That is the key to lasting joyous recovery for many of us..

My drinking obcession/compulsion has been lifted for decades.
I battle no more...it's not about fighting for sobreity...
it's about learning how to find your way without alcohol.

Please go back and read your early post ..they may give you
a better feel for what you need to do to continue your sobreity.

Welcome back...