Notices

Alcoholism is a responsibility

Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a responsibility

Hey everyone,

I have not been on here for a while, but I felt compelled to share this as this story took place just a few miles from where I grew up.

Man Charged in Drunk Driving Crash that Killed Nurse | NBC Chicago

I just wanted to share this story as I grew up with the individual that was driving drunk at 6:00 am this past Sunday, we played soccer together, baseball and rode bikes together all around the neighborhood. I have known for a long time that he has issues with his alcohol and drug intake, but he never wanted to confront it as it was "his life". Today a woman, mother of three, is no longer with us. This woman was a RN for 37 years, and then was pronounced dead at the hospital she devoted her life to, due to a drunk driver. I wanted to share this, as alcoholism doesn't just affect the alcoholic, but all of those around them whether they are family, friends, co-workers or perfect strangers and I feel that we are responsible to due what we can to put alcoholism into remission. I hope that all of you have an amazing day, and that if you have a moment and can pray for this family, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Also, for any of you struggling out there, please utilize this as a reminder that this CAN and DOES happen if you drive drunk. Stay sober my friends!

-Kyle
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...

Thanks for shareing this tragedy with us....it's message may touch
someone who is still drinking and driving.

Prayers going out to all who love those involved
to you VolcomStone51
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The last time I drank I also drove. This was something I SWORE I would never do, yet it happened again. It became necessary for me to begin to think differently about myself and others. I had to realize how important it is that I place the welfare of other people ahead of my own. This seemed impossible , yet this idea is, at its core, the essence of living a spiritual existence. There is nothing inherently religious in this notion. Its practice remains essential to my sobriety. We are not islands.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

A sad reminder. Alcohol can kill. And not just us.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

It could have been me.............
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the main reasons I am sober today is that I can't keep me from driving drunk. It doesn't matter how many times I repeated to myself that I wouldn't drive after I started drinking it just never worked.

I know how lucky I've been. So sorry about the incident you describe. My heart aches for those 3 children and the perpetrator's family.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for you, and everyone concerned - as well as all who know and love them.
thanks Kyle.

D
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gone In

Could easily have been me. I drove drunk regularly, never thought much of it at the time. Never had any incidents. Drove with my wife in the car, drove near schools. What a fool I was, and what a menace to my community. I'm so grateful I never hurt anyone.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Update - They ran the blood tests and found Opiates, Cocaine, THC and he was above a 0.08%. Bond was set at $100,000 which his family does not have so he will have to sit in jail. He went from partying in Chicago to sitting behind bars for a very long time.....Pretty much his life is over as fast as the woman he fatally injured.

Please use this as a tool for your sobriety (or at least to not drive drunk until you make a commitment) as I know I will always remember this as it is so close to me, but also because this IS reality.

Have a great Wednesday everyone, and if it is the only thing you do today, make someone smile today .....or you can go for bonus points and make multiple people smile, there is no limit!

-Kyle
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drunk driving is my worst nightmare. I can't live with myself now, I don't know how I could face it if my conduct killed or injured someone else.

And if that's not enough, consider this: driving drunk is a breach of your insurance. Your insurer will pay out and then subrogate against you for the money they paid to your victim(s). You could lose every dime you have.

So we have guilt, our own injury and death, prison, and financial ruin to deter us from drinking and driving.

Even with full knowledge of the consequences, however, I can't guarantee that I won't drive drunk if I take that first drink.