Notices

Peer reviewed literature

Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Interesting study in many ways. I like the part where participants had to be off the booze for three days before they got the drugs. The "high risk" alcoholics would have been in serious trouble by then.

And fer da luv uh god, if you're giving a way free drugs it should be easy to find a larger sample size.

// No reflection on you, OP. //
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts under rule 4...I removed other posts under rule 2 as they had nothing to do with the initial topic...

anyone who wishes to repost their posts - as they pertain to the OP and topic - may of course do so

any more programme bashing will see this thread closed permanently.

and ...go..
D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-09-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you do choose to reply to any SR threads...please remember
our mandatory Posting Rule 4.....
4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

It is also our policy not to allow threads that are purely to announce that you are unhappy here and "leaving the site'" or to post threads discussing why someone left or was banned. Such posts often detract from our purpose of providing support in recovery. Posts of this nature may be removed and continued posting of this nature could jeopardize your membership. If you wish to “leave” SR or just take a break from the site you are welcome to notify your friends via the Private Message feature.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Here is the link that all of us agreed to when we joined...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Please do respect our site and if you now find SR too
restrictive for your POV....there are many other places to go.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tyl3r, I can't tell you how much I relate to your post and how glad I am you posted it. I'm a newbie struggling with AA (which I shall bore everybody about in another thread) in part because I like a bit of medical rigour with my diagnoses too. It's not that I don't accept I'm an alcoholic – I totally am – but when people in meetings start sharing about their "allergy to alcohol", I have to struggle not to ask them to define their terms.

(Having said that, I do think the disease model is a useful way to talk about addiction.)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

At the risk of oversimplifying, it looked like type A as defined were roughly equivalent to "problem/hard drinkers" and the treatment was effective with them. Type B's semmed to be more like "the real alcoholic" and the treatment did not work with them. In fact, over the 6 months period, they got worse. If they were like my kind of alcoholic, they would have got worse regardless of the treatment.

The outcome seems familiar, a bit like the scenario in "There is a Solution". Many can be helped through treatment and medication.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Here's a fascinating (very long!) report that was recently released, from the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University. It's called: “Addiction Medicine: Closing the Gap Between Science and Practice.” It's kind of a depressing report, because it concludes that the addiction treatment system is basically broken:

http://www.casacolumbia.org/upload/2...dictionmed.pdf
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well it's pretty busted here. Our largest treatment centre boasts, a success rate of 2%, that's what it tells its patients anyway. Maybe it's trying to scare them sober, but it doesn't seem to work. Politics has quite a bit to do with how treatment is offered these days, it all has to be politically correct and fit in with our "harm minimisation" dogma.

Go back 10 years and we had a govenrment run national treatment centre, Queen Mary Hospital which had a 50% succes rate. That is 50% were still sober after two years. It had two aspects which distinguish it from the modern equivalent.

Firstly, no medication of any kind was permitted except for serious mental illness like manic depression. All patients were searched on arrival and meds confiscated. Secondly and typically, most patients had about 14 weeks sober when discharged after the eight week program. By this stage they had completed the first 5 steps of the AA program.