Notices

Follow-Up to drunk tank post

Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Follow-Up to drunk tank post

Good morning everyone!!!

Well I have decided I am going to go away with my friend and not see the guy I am dating for my birthday. I have given this a lot of thought and I think that since it is early in the relationship and it is already very rocky that this is something that I shouldn't get involved in. I am a very sensitive person and I think that continuing this relationship would just bring me down. If he can't get his drinking under control and he's 28, drinking since grade 6, and if he gets so drunk he ends up in the drunk tank because I want to spend my birthday with a friend then this is just not a good sign. I care for him a lot but he has lied in the past about a daughter, times in rehab, etc. and god knows what else. I think it's time I walk away before I end up getting more hurt.

Thoughts????

Sandy
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You sound like a smart gal. It wonderful that you care about this person, but affection alone isn't a reason to stay. He's dragging you down.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I totally agree ...
Enjoy your new positive direction.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Good move!! He needs to sort him self out before he can even think about being there for anyone else.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You sound like a smart gal. It wonderful that you care about this person, but affection alone isn't a reason to stay. He's dragging you down.
+1

You need take care of yourself and your own peace of mind before you're of much use to anyone else.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good move! Enjoy your time with your friend
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Good for you-- I remember the mornings waking up in the drunk tank --- horrid stuff not to mention humiliating.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do what YOU want. I am an alcoholic and I am currently dating a girl who doesn't drink at all. Well she has the very and I mean VERY occasional drink and when she does she'll have one. Anyways my point being... I really had to focus on myself for the first few months of recovery. I didn't consider dating till I felt comfortable within my own skin. I am 27 myself and I knew I had to quit drinking. But once I felt fine that I could go out and be okay I started dating her. We've been happy these past 7 months of dating and me being almost 11 months sober now. Life's been great,,,

I'm sorry to hear about your alcoholic boyfriend. He clearly isn't ready to admit defeat to alcohol and I know as a fact if he were me last year... and my girlfriend knew me then... she'd dump me right away. I was a mean drunk and not myself when I drank meaning... I was unpredictable with my moods. If he has drank because you wouldn't be around to celebrate your own birthday with him but with a friend.... makes it an excuse to drink and means he's not ready to sober up yet. Maybe one day he'll discover it. And maybe one day he'll smarten up and find someone he'll truly treat right....

but it's your call. But I say that you may need to leave, you don't deserve that kind of pain to see your boyfriend go down the dark path. It may lead him back to drinking but thats his problem not yours. Good luck and I wish things will be better for you soon.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes. Walking away is a very smart thing.

Do what's best for YOU !!

All the best !