Notices

Here we go!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go!

Hello everyone, my name is John and I'm finally confronting my drinking problem. I've read a lot of posts on this site and decided it would be worthwhile to contribute and talk about my issue.

Today I finally poured out all the liquor I had at home, put away all my cocktail glasses and decanters, flasks etc. I’d like to think I’m different, but I’m sure many of you have been here before. This isn’t a new revelation from being hungover, I’ve known for years that my pattern of drinking is a problem and wanted to do something about it. I tried cutting back, it just didn’t work. It’s been about 4 years since I graduated from a few beers after work with friends to drinking a handle every 4 days. I drank every day, mostly at night and on weekends. It never caused me any problems with my family, work or the law. But I know it would only be a matter of time.

So I’m taking the opportunity to make a change for the better. Back away from the ledge that would lead to more problems than anyone would want. While I still have the job, loving wife and family.

A few things that tipped me off to my problematic drinking. First was obviously how often I had to pick up more booze, and that I was drinking every day. Being embarrassed that the checker knew who I was. Knowing bartenders on a first name basis. Being irritable on vacations when my schedule was disrupted. Being deceptive about refilling flasks and decanters. Having drinks before going somewhere that I knew I wouldn’t get enough to get a buzz. And finally, I knew it was a problem and I kept doing it anyways.

I think this is going to be harder than quitting cigarettes was. Cigs don’t give you a buzz after about the first month of smoking. I have a lot of friends who drink and booze-centered activities like watching football and going to the beach. My dad even brews a good beer. I’m upset with myself for ruining the possibility of being a casual drinker. My friends are going to have to respect this change. The days of doing things centered around drinking are over. I’m not going to do house parties where that’s the main event. I’m not doing football games where I miss the game.

Fortunately, my wife doesn’t drink. She never had a problem with my drinking, mostly because she said she could never tell I was drunk. I guess being able to “hold your liquor” was a warning flag. I’m looking forward to all the benefits of not drinking. Such as better sleep, not being dehydrated, being able to go out and do things instead of not being able to drive. Saving $500 a month. Not feeling hung over.

Today is day one. It’s not going to be easy, but I'm finally committed and ready. I believe in myself that I can quit because I want to. I will seek and use the support I have available.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR! I can relate to lots of what you said.

It may not be easy but it's totally worth it.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community john...

Blessings to you and your family as you move into a sober future
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Your story sounds so much like mine. I couldn't point to the one catastrophe that proved beyond a shadow of doubt that I was an alcoholic. I just knew something wasn't right about my drinking and in a moment of clarity realized if I didn't do something about it RIGHT THEN, if was bound to get worse...sliding down that slippery slope they talk about.

Originally Posted by Vlst View Post
I’m upset with myself for ruining the possibility of being a casual drinker.
Our casual drinker card was punched a long time ago...don't mourn for what could have been.

As I said at the top, there wasn't that one big thing I could point to that screamed, "you are an alcoholic." However, once I did quit and was sober about two months and had done a lot of reflecting about my drinking I realized I hadn't been a normal drinker for years. I suspect you've picked a good time to quit, and if your recovery is successful you'll ask yourself why you didn't come to that conclusion earlier. I know I did.

Again, welcome and good luck.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Vlst:

I think you'll fit in here.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...than never

I’m not doing football games where I miss the game.

You said it. I suspect I had a lot of fun during my drinking years. If only I could remember it.

Nowadays I remember all the fun I have.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for making me feel welcome here. I'm a little nervous but I guess that's common.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome...Nobody bites here!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi John,
Welcome.
Any other heavy drinkers in the family?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The only other heavy drinker in the family is my Mom's brother, who's been an alcoholic for his entire life. He finally quit last fall when the Dr. told him he was about to die. My dad didn't drink at all when I was growing up but recently started drinking beer occasionally when he retired. My mom might have one beer a week.

I'd say my problem was kicked off early in high school. Like many people my group of friends did a lot of drinking in house parties, desert parties and elsewhere. So right off the bat I was drinking to get drunk because I thought it was fun. Oddly enough I almost never drank between the ages of 18-25, but certainly still had other ways to get a buzz. Around 26 years old I had a new group of friends and a new roommate who were all drinkers. It didn't take long for that to progress to where I am now, 5 years later. The roommate is gone, replaced with my wife, but the legacy remains. I'm not blaming him, it was my decision, but that's my drinking history. I leaned on alcohol to quit smoking when I met my wife, which was a terrible decision.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be prepared for a bit of a roller-coaster for the first few months.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR John - good to have you here

D
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I can put you in touch with a recovered alcoholic in your
area if you are interested. I can ask him to PM you here.

Please let me know..k?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I appreciate that Carol. I already have a friend in mind who I'm going to talk to, she's been sober for almost 10 years now.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey John...How did your Mom's brother quit last fall?....Was the doctors news enough for him to just quit on his own?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh, John - how I wish I'd had that attitude many years ago. My entire life would have been different. I'd never have suffered all the loss, humiliation, pain, and grief that I suffered because I didn't want to miss out on the 'fun' of drinking. I spent so many years trying to be a social drinker, and it was never possible from day one.

I hope it all goes well for you, and we are certainly behind you all the way. I think joining here was a great idea - especially for when you're feeling triggered. Way to go, John - proud of you.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Hey John...How did your Mom's brother quit last fall?....Was the doctors news enough for him to just quit on his own?
No, I don't know the details but it was an inpatient recovery I believe. I'll have to talk with him about it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Maybe he has some pointers for you...I kind of got the same news....It does tend to amp up the willingness.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, lots of good people who want sobriety!