Notices

Antabuse

Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hi.

I use 200mg antabuse once a week, I know this dosage is really low, so I guess those recommended 14 days does not apply?

How long do I have to wait before its risk-free (in the sense that antabuse does not make me sick) for me to consume alcohol?

I want to take a break from being sober, gonna test some things out, then go back to antabuse again after a few days of drinking.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
has left the building :)

Originally Posted by Skandi View Post

How long do I have to wait before its risk-free (in the sense that antabuse does not make me sick) for me to consume alcohol?
It will NEVER be risk-free for you to consume alcohol. Period.

If you want to take a break from being sober, this is probably not a good place for you to seek advice, imo.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

That would be giving medical advice.

If you are hell bent on drinking again, then please ask your doctor.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Why do you want to drink?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your drinking was serious enough to go on antabuse, why would you think you could control it now?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My experience was drinking on Antabuse led to the Emergency Room where I had extremely high blood pressure. My face felt like it was on fire as well. Don't drink on it. It is rarely prescribed anymore because it is dangerous when alcoholics drink on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Dude, that is so lame. I am not judging you, but you are in a room full of recovering alcoholics and asking about how to start a binge. Maybe in some weird way you are reaching out because you know this is bad bad bad.

Listen to these people, look at what Justfor1 said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it
Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I agree don't drink at all. If you choose to do so consult with the Dr. who prescribed the Antabuse because it is a serious situation when you combine the two.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am alcoholic and no amount will be safe. No matter what Dont take the first one and you wont even have to pay for it. alcohol equals to me blackouts, uncontrollable icomprehensible if u please hospitals institutions and oh yea prison terms I only got 2 numbers here in CA one for throwing a beer at someone oops 21 years old and another for trying to walk out of store with Mr. Goodbar drunk at noon from good old King Cobra 120 oz"s did the trick for this old drunk back in july of 2004. When is it safe to drink again Not ever in Recovery, as It goes one day today again another court date 7-16-2012 for battery and drunk in public ouch time to take life more seriously heavy on the not drinking. spiritual principles in all my affairs god willing thats all thnx
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink because I want to go back to drinking, I'm happy being sober and I will continue antabuse, and the work with myself, afterwards.

I won't drink before I know antabuse is out of my system, I'm not driven to drink by cravings.

Also nobody will be hurt by me drinking for a few days, I live by myself, and I won't go crazy either-that takes much longer before that happens.

I want to do a controlled relapse into drinking, for many reasons, mainly to understand myself better afterwards.

The Dr that prescribed me this doesn't know much. Just "stay away from alcohol while on it".

It wasn't my intention to hurt anyones feelings or progress.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Ok, now I am really confused here. If you do not have cravings then why are you on Antabuse? Isn't it used to treat CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM? In other words, you don't just roll up to the doctor and get that if there isn't a big issue.

You said no one would be hurt, but what about yourself?

Do what you feel you must, and I am new here, but this doesn't sound like a good idea. I was trying to use that excuse last night when I bought 8 tall boys of ice beer-that I wanted to test it out, no one would get hurt, I wanted to understand what happens, lemme see if I can control this etc.... I did not drink them and gave them away today, but it sounds to me like BS of the mind at play here.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you have your mind made up

keep us posted, and take care
Old 06-30-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

I'm not sure why you are posting on this forum asking us when you can drink again?
We are recovering alcoholics here.
I think you should go back and see your Doctor.
Also think back to WHY you went on Antabuse to start with.
I'm a tad confused.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((Skandi)) - Though I also wish you wouldn't drink, I've looked up antabuse only to come up with this suggestion - if you are dead set on drinking, ask a physician or pharmacist about how long it stays in your system. It's dangerous to mix antabuse and alcohol.

It sounds to me like you want to do more "research". Whatever your decision, if you want recovery, we are here for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not trying to pick a fight - but c'mon Skandi!

Also nobody will be hurt by me drinking for a few days, I live by myself, and I won't go crazy either-that takes much longer before that happens.
I used to say that too. I conveniently forgot about the CONSIDERABLE damage I was doing to myself.

I also forgot about all those things I'd blow off when I was self absorbed and off on a bender....I actually let a lot of people down over the years and didn't even realise it, I was that out of touch with reality.

I want to do a controlled relapse into drinking, for many reasons, mainly to understand myself better afterwards.
I fell for this line too.

I never understood myself better after a relapse -there's no clarity & no progress in getting drunk.

If you want to understand yourself better - *really* genuinely want to understand yourself - throw away the crutch Skandi, and embrace recovery.

What are you doing for your recovery besides the antabuse?

D
Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi skandi, go back to your post about a month ago you said I've decided that I will remain sober the rest of my life, NO MATTER WHAT and I've done nothing but drinking, doing drugs and being sent to institutions for the criminal youth, ever since I was 13.
just try and remember what it was really like. It won't be any different this time. why give all your sober time up and go back to day ONE its just not worth it. what are you doing about recovery if you don't do something you will always end up drinking again. But I guess as the big book of AA says if you are not sure if you are an alcoholic go and try some controlled drinking it will not take long for you to realize if you are a real alcoholic. If you are a real alcoholic you will never be content with just a couple, it is only going to get you into trouble. Have you forgotten what the hangovers are like. Have a google of P.A.W.S ( post acute withdrawal syndrome) it will show you that it can take a couple of years for all the symptoms of alcoholism to go away, your over half way Don't give up it will get better. AA is a great program that will teach you the best tools to live more happy than you can imagine if you practice there 12 steps. It is a place where you can make great friends that don't drink . alternatively you could practice the principles of rational recovery where you will separate yourself from the voice in your head that wants to go back to drinking. I hope you choose to continue your recovery good luck.