Notices

7 weeks sober

Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 weeks sober

hello i have been sober for 7 weeks today and i didnt go to therapy,but i have a sponsor and i go to meetings and do all the right things but
i have been feeling depressed and kind of lost sometimes
is that normal?i am very patient about my recovery just want to know if its normal to feel like this in early weeks in my new life
thank you all and stay sober
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Icelandic

I drank for 20 years - the last 5 years daily - so it took me a while to get myself together.

Those kinds of feelings were normal for me in my earliest months. I noticed a change around 90 days - I hope you will too.

Welcome to SR - & congratulations on those 7 weeks
D
Old 06-29-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off...Congrats on 7 weeks!!...That's awesome. And for the path you are choosing to take....I recommend anything that saved my life. As far as how you are feeling at 7 weeks...I'd say that's pretty normal...My emotions were all over the map my first couple months...Like I was defogging....It evens out with time...If you are concerned...Seek medical attention...For me...The only solution for my problems I needed was working the 12 steps...I needed the things that book promised...And they were delivered.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What you describe was normal for me in early sobriety. One factor was the chemical aspect of withdrawing from alcohol. That can bring on substantial mood swings. When you think that alcohol is a depressant and we stop taking it, first we go up, then we come down, then up again and so on. But that is only part of the picture.

I followed the same path as you have chosen, I went to AA without the benefit of a rehab. Aside from the mood swings I was prone to frequent bouts of self pity, which I confused with depression.

I also had trouble thinking and couldn't sleep. Every few days I would get this awful cloud of doom feeling, like the sky was going to fall on me, and I needed my sponsor's help to find my way out.

My sponsor took me through the steps quite quickly (most step work was done by the time I was 4 months sober) and as we progressed, these problems got less and less. by the time I had taken step 5, I could sleep like a baby and the cloud of doom was gone. by this time I knew I was on a different path, wallking hand in hand with my creator, and the obsession with alcohol was removed. And life just kept gettiong better.

I learned through the 4th step that many of my problems were of my own making, I made decisions based on self which later placed me in a position to be hurt. Cause and effect if you will. Selfishness was at the root of it all. I never knew that.

So yes, it is normal and it will get better as you work the steps.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Icelandic 7 weeks sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent work!! I'm right behind you at 4 weeks.

Up the hill we go, all the way up. Then we stand on top of the mountain and screen from the top of our lungs "I'm free!"

Deal? LOL!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
What you describe was normal for me in early sobriety. One factor was the chemical aspect of withdrawing from alcohol. That can bring on substantial mood swings. When you think that alcohol is a depressant and we stop taking it, first we go up, then we come down, then up again and so on. But that is only part of the picture.

I followed the same path as you have chosen, I went to AA without the benefit of a rehab. Aside from the mood swings I was prone to frequent bouts of self pity, which I confused with depression.

I also had trouble thinking and couldn't sleep. Every few days I would get this awful cloud of doom feeling, like the sky was going to fall on me, and I needed my sponsor's help to find my way out.

My sponsor took me through the steps quite quickly (most step work was done by the time I was 4 months sober) and as we progressed, these problems got less and less. by the time I had taken step 5, I could sleep like a baby and the cloud of doom was gone. by this time I knew I was on a different path, wallking hand in hand with my creator, and the obsession with alcohol was removed. And life just kept gettiong better.

I learned through the 4th step that many of my problems were of my own making, I made decisions based on self which later placed me in a position to be hurt. Cause and effect if you will. Selfishness was at the root of it all. I never knew that.

So yes, it is normal and it will get better as you work the steps.
thanks i also have these feelings,sometimes with a short memory,nervous,somedays completly normal and happy but its a journey which is 1000% better then my past life
Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 weeks. I had problems with memory,nervousness,short temper,depression. You name it. At 7 weeks you are right in the middle of it.
But sitting back and looking at the bigger picture. I had all of those problems while drinking except for memory problems (I'm talking about during the day when I wasn't drinking) (I was an after 5:00 drinker). In reality the emotional things I wen't through while drinking were actually worse if I really stop and think about it. For example doing something stupid because I was drunk,and punishing myself for the next 3 days over it. That was an emotional roller coaster also
It does level out though,you just gotta hang in there.
Fred
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh yeah!! the wolrds largest rollercoaster ride for me! as time went on and i worked the step, then stated practicing the principles, the hills and valleys of the rollercoaster got closer together.

keep up the work. the world may not get better, but you will.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

It took me about 2 months after I quit drinking to feel back
in balance mentally and physically...

I don't think there is a set in stone time line..too many variables
to be accurate.

Congratulations on your sober time...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

update i am in better place now then a week ago
went to the countryside and it paid off just 2 days sober today
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to hear you feel better Icelandic

D
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icelandic View Post
update i am in better place now then a week ago
went to the countryside and it paid off just 2 days sober today
Glad you are feeling better...I hope you mean 2 months....Keep at it!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congratulations on 7 weeks into your new life . For me the first 6 weeks were quite tuff with cravings, depression and anger, I was also very very tired . then as I focused on recovery by reading about avrt and spending plenty of time on SR but most Importantly for me was doing the 12 steps and putting my new spiritual life into practice, that is what relived all my symptoms of cravings, depression, anger and the feeling Restless, Irritable and Discontent. now I am 9 months sober and feel happy and content with my life, I still have some days up and some days down but most of the time I feel great. So yes it is perfectly normal to feel the way you do, just try and focus on today and don't look into the future. try and remember emotions and feelings are a reaction to your thoughts negative thoughts always create negative feelings like being depressed, angry, frustrated etc. so if you practice not thinking negative and only thinking positive you soon will only have positive feelings and emotions like love and happiness.
I wish you all the best on journey to happiness.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you SoberDan....Congrats on working the steps and nine months sober!...It works if you work it!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats on 7 weeks, Icelandic! That's a great accomplishment. I was also depressed before I quit, and for some time afterward. I think some of that is normal, but, in my case, I sought help from my doctor, who prescribed antidepressants. Once I stopped drinking, and the fog lifted, I was able to stop using them after several months of sobriety. At eleven months this weekend, I am no longer depressed, and am loving my new sober life!

Keep plugging away, and keep posting! It helps!