Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I finally got off heroin! But now im an alcoholic

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I was on heroin for about four years, finally got off that ********. However, I now drink every day, and the people closest to me are now saying Ive replaced one addiction with another. Note: I am on no opiates of any kind although I was almost forced to take methadone, I just did a hard kick and made it. But now, I drink malt liquor, reg beer, hard liquor, etc every single day. I just registered just now to post this, and I was wondering if anyone had any input or advice for me, because I am concerned. I feel like **** in the morning until I drink, almost like when I was a heroin addict. My girlfriend is close to leaving me, my mother hates it, I just want my life to be normal again. help?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well I just fell off the wagon. But wanted to tell you that I have a very good friend that went from heroin to alcohol. I heard it processes in the brain in a similar way. The withdrawals are somewhat similar also.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friend I did the exact same thing. Kicked dope but never got any better, just got drunk instead. Same cravings and behavior just a different chemical.

Read my thread about having DTs. That's what happened to me as an ex heroin user that drank...I went off the deep end.

Any questions feel free to ask me. I've been off dope for years but still have trouble with booze so we have things in common.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dubstep,
Welcome! Replacing one addiction for another is not uncommon at all but will bring no peace to your life. You have it within you to stop drinking. Understanding a bit about why we (addicts) use in the first place helped me. We are "allergic" to drugs and alcohol. If we knew someone with a nut allergy eating pecan pie everyday we would think that they were insane. This insanity is what your now recognizing in your life. This is the first step in many that will ease the burden of drinking. The next is knowing that you no longer have control over your drinking. Then finding a higher power of YOUR understand that does have control. There's much more but this is a starting point. I hope that some of this helps and hope to hear more from you soon.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

You can quit heroine but not alchohol? Think about that question for a while. Did you ever quit? are you just replacing the substance? Your capable of quiting herone your strong enough to beat that but you cant beat alchohol?

The point is you clearly have an idea how to beat an addiction. I realize its different. but theres some simlier concepts.

its like your chasing a high. Oh i can't do heroine anymore let me find something else to anebriate myself with hey its ok least it aint heroine. Thats like me thinking i can cure my booze habit by switching from whisky to beer. Or solve my drug problem buy quiting coke and going to heroine. Sooner or later you'll go back to your poison of choice if thats what heroine was.

The object to is to get sober. Get off all of it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I want to add that i'm not trying to sound abraisive or lecture you. I'm trying to point out that you are obviously a strong person being able to give up the heroine. And from my own expeirence I knwo its easy to make excuses in your head to justify various actions that really dont make a lick of sense. I've done it myself many times.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

WWelcome...

Many of us are winning over alcohol...useing a variety of concepts/ideas
and structured programs. For me....I went directly into AA and it's
continued to be an awesome adventure ..

Thanks for joining our recovery community...Yes! you too can overcome alcoholism!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Heroin and alcohol were my demons too. Welcome. I'm also in Denver.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I here this story a lot in AA, replacing one addiction with another. It really means that no recovery has taken place as the addict is still unable to function without chemical assistance. If what and A&D counsellor tells me is correct, it gets a bit more dangerous with alcohol, as it is not uncommon to die from the withdrawal. Apparently heroine addicts don't die in withdrawal.
In anycase, if you have crossed the line, if you are as seriously alcoholic as I was, you may be suffering from an illness that only a spiritual experience can conquer. That is my experience as a member of AA.

Having tried every other remedy, and having done my best to pin my problems on any number of outside causes, I finally conceded defeat and took up the AA suggested program. Though AA I found lasting sobriety and a life of immense satisfaction.

Your could do worse than give AA a try.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just registered here as I came across this thread on Google. We are / were in the exact same situation. I haven't used or seen heroin for over 12 years, but since quitting I have drank alcohol on a daily basis. Now I'm drinking a bottle of vodka every night. oddly enough I'm managing to hold down a very good job and have a family with four kids. But I know things can't go on like this. How are you now and how much are you drinking?
Old 02-21-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Crasfd the this thread is 3 years old nice to meet you bud
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm an addict plan and simple. I had to give up all mind altering substances and even have to be on the lookout for other addictive behaviors.

I have come to accept me for the way I am and work a program of recovery which keeps me between the rumble strip of sobriety