Notices

Feeling Pretty Useless----

Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I think the most important thing for me is to get a full time job.
No, it's not. And, that, in itself, is the problem, that you still think circumstances and situations are the problem...

The most important thing for you to do is to get honest with yourself. Here is a passage from the Big Book, 5th Chapter, 1st edition...

"Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

I think you have the capacity to be honest. Truly, I do.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
No, it's not. And, that, in itself, is the problem, that you still think circumstances and situations are the problem...

The most important thing for you to do is to get honest with yourself.
Well said!

Playing the victim to a disease or circumstances is not the path to recovery in my opinion. Accept responsibility. Take action. Be the master of your destiny.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
Playing the victim to a disease or circumstances is not the path to recovery in my opinion. Accept responsibility. Take action. Be the master of your destiny.
I'm not even sure if it is a disease anymore. Maybe I'm just a selfish human being? Overall, society really doesn't believe addiction is a disease & I'm slowly understanding why. My behaviors while using are out of control.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Those questions, Just, are distractions. They miss the point.

Looking at and being honest with yourself is scary, for sure, but it often times what we are afraid we'll find isn't near as bad as what we thought.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I agree with Mark, the questions are just distractions. Please read the AVRT material on the link I posted for you. To me, the rationalizations, the temper tantrums, the excuses are part and parcel proof there's more going on than just selfishness.

Here's the tricky part: Are you willingly acting out in a manner that gets you put in jail, keeps you on the streets and lets you go hungry? No, but the "deep Pleasure" we get from alcohol, or memory of what was once pleasure, keeps us going back to old behaviors that destroy us. doers this make sense to you? It does to me.

Just, we don't have to live like this. you can live a better life, one that's peaceful and where you are content. but you have to take responsibility. And take action.

I worry for you.

Love from Lenina
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Do you think it might be that you are so used to the chaos that you get bored when there is none?

Try some meditation and reflection.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
This insanity has been going on for nearly 10yrs! Why would a loving God let someone live like this???
How many AA meetings did you attend weekly over those 10 years?
My first 10 years I probably averaged 6/week.

I wish you the best but if you want what the oldtimers have you will have to do what the oldtimers did. That's the Law of Nature (God's Law ??!!)

Bob R
Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
High on Life

When you're tired of running, you will get off the wheel. Apparently, I'm afraid after 10 yrs it looks like you still have some more running to do.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm wondering what's really going on for you, Just...

I've watched your progress, and indeed, it was true progress, and it was like observing a rose about to bud, and then something??? caused you to shrivel and fold into yourself.

Can it be something like it's easier to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't know?

I know when I was getting sober, the excitement of being sober in the future was oftentimes obliterated by a fear of my future unknown That fear would get me stuck like a deer in the headlights, and it was the people around me in the program that helped me get unstuck. I've always been one who had the perception that I was tough and could handle things on my own, but as was suggested to me, I had to let people in and let them know what was going on with me. Simple, not easy, so I understand that.

I've been stuck more times than I can count, and in order to keep from the backslide, I had to get honest and outside of my own head. It was like a sucker-punch to my pride, but I had no reason to doubt those that were successful in the program of my need to do it.

I often got too far ahead of my sobriety when putting my action plan in to play. I've done this so many times when I tried to stop drinking on my own without a program. When I moved too fast, the last thing I gained was the first thing I lost as I tried to end the madness on my own.

It was through the feedback of my sponsor and a skilled therapist that helped rein me in. My mind without booze would race for months, if not for the first year, and I was a disaster waiting to happen if it were not for the help of those skilled in recovery being around me. I did not take their suggestions lightly.

I am grateful for the steps - they are in order, and a roadmap, and that's what I needed. That's where I found relief from the obsession and the angst of addiction.

When girlfriends, jobs, the inability to become honest at a meeting to protect your perception of having it together get in the way; the drink is not far behind.

Truth is, it's the devil that we know that will keep us hell.