Notices

Update- quitting for a month :)

Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Update- quitting for a month :)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I posted before that I was quitting drinking for a month. I am on around 2.5 weeks and doing well. I think it was Sapling that suggested I go 90 days, and I am going to do that. I agree that 30 days is not enough to get me out of the “partying” lifestyle. I never drank alone and drinking was my fun thing to do. I am realizing that I am a fun person, and I do not need to be sh*t faced to have fun. Plus I was not fun anymore when I drank. The hangovers sucked, I acted crazy, drinking made me paranoid and anxious and caused me to feel horrible about myself because the things I would say and do while drunk- Plus no more rotating convenience stores, so they can’t see how much beer I was buying- and being afraid of what I will do next. It is a terrible thing not to trust yourself.

Anyhow,
One thing that has helped me a lot is not being around people that drink, and I am fortunate that my BF doesn’t. Well, he does smoke weed, but I don’t have an issue with that; I can take it or leave it. I decided it would be best at this point to have a clear head and not get high though.
In addition, one of my close friends was hospitalized in detox and is now 10 days sober. His doctor told him he would die if he didn’t stop. He told me he hasn’t felt this hopeful in ages. I am so happy for him. A few weeks ago he thought he could never go a day without drinking, and that he would just die. Yesterday we talked on the phone, and he said that miracles are happening in his life. I am so happy for him, and for myself.

I know there are tough times to come, but I am going in the right direction.

Thanks for your support and suggestions
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you...I'm glad you are going for it...Stay away from the pot...I know if I smoked a drink would come shortly after...A clear head is kind of nice anyway...It grows on you. Congrats on your time...And keep checking in. That's awesome!!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I often rotated stores too so the clerk didn't think I was an alcoholic. Not too good.

I wish you the best.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

You just made my day!

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I posted before that I was quitting drinking for a month. I am on around 2.5 weeks and doing well. I think it was Sapling that suggested I go 90 days, and I am going to do that. I agree that 30 days is not enough to get me out of the “partying” lifestyle. I never drank alone and drinking was my fun thing to do. I am realizing that I am a fun person, and I do not need to be sh*t faced to have fun. Plus I was not fun anymore when I drank. The hangovers sucked, I acted crazy, drinking made me paranoid and anxious and caused me to feel horrible about myself because the things I would say and do while drunk- Plus no more rotating convenience stores, so they can’t see how much beer I was buying- and being afraid of what I will do next. It is a terrible thing not to trust yourself.

Anyhow,
One thing that has helped me a lot is not being around people that drink, and I am fortunate that my BF doesn’t. Well, he does smoke weed, but I don’t have an issue with that; I can take it or leave it. I decided it would be best at this point to have a clear head and not get high though.
In addition, one of my close friends was hospitalized in detox and is now 10 days sober. His doctor told him he would die if he didn’t stop. He told me he hasn’t felt this hopeful in ages. I am so happy for him. A few weeks ago he thought he could never go a day without drinking, and that he would just die. Yesterday we talked on the phone, and he said that miracles are happening in his life. I am so happy for him, and for myself.

I know there are tough times to come, but I am going in the right direction.

Thanks for your support and suggestions
Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JM1

Congrats and keep at it. Definitely go the 90 days - I made the mistake of going 60 and thinking I could socially drink again, but it's just put me back in the cycle. I've come to the realization that I can't drink at all, ever again. Very good to hear that your BF doesn't drink, that is one less thing you have to worry about. Stay positive and keep a clear head. Best wishes!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not only should you be able to go 90 days but it should be no problem at all. You might even be impressed with the money you save and not drink again.

The main thing is it should be easy and not require much in the way of discipline.

That is how it would be for a non alcoholic.

Dave
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck with it.

I admire you, I could not do it, It is all or nothing for me, I cant stop and start.
I stopped and have resigned myself to the fact that I will never drink alcohol again, if if do.................I wont stop until I die.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sapling,

I will stay away from the weed for sure. It is weird for me though-- when I smoked I didn't want to drink, but anyhow- better to have a clear head.

Thanks for your support

DalyCityTrain,

I know right, I had about 5-6 stores on my route- LOL I know it's not funny, but it is!
It also makes me feel better that I wasn't the only one. Thank you

JM1,

Yep - what I have done in the past is try to cut back, but I always built myself back up quick.

LookAhead,

Well, I went from committing to 30 days up to 90 days. I have that gut feeling though, that I may have to stop for good. I am afraid that if I drink after 90 days that the whole drinking cycle will start again. I hope to experience life without beer as a good thing in this 90 days, and then press on from there. I guess I am still not quite willing to admit that I have to stop for good. The thought is too much for now.

David,

Thanks-- although I was buying nasty cheap beer. I know-- pathetic, but I wanted the maximum amount of beer I could get for the money I had. Hey, even cheap ass beer adds up fast though. I look forward to having a little extra cash.

lifewithoutbooz,

Thank you!!!! You are so nice. You made my heart smile
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

MC...
You are already making positive changes...super...

All my best as you and your newly sober friend
continue to move forward
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I went from committing to 30 days up to 90 days. I have that gut feeling though, that I may have to stop for good. I am afraid that if I drink after 90 days that the whole drinking cycle will start again. I hope to experience life without beer as a good thing in this 90 days, and then press on from there. I guess I am still not quite willing to admit that I have to stop for good. The thought is too much for now.
Not a bad thought to have in the back of your mind. See how you feel when you get done with the 90 days... Who knows...Sometimes it's just best to go with your gut feeling. You're doing great by the way!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Sapling.
That first week and a half was a doosey! I am finally going outside and even putting makeup on.

Anyway,

I don't want to go 90 days looking forward to the 91st when I can drink. I am hoping that the 90 days tells me a lot about how my life is changing for the better, and that I don't go " woooohooo" 90 days- time to party. That is what I am afraid about.

I also have a tough situation coming up. My BF, who has been a real support (not as a counselor, but as a friend to do sober things with me) has to go out of the country for 12 days. I will be lonely, and I know I will want to go out and drink. He leaves tomorrow, and I need to come up with a plan. I have the best intentions, but that isn't good enough. I was thinking about writing down the reasons I can't drink and posting it on the fridge. Also, to not let anyone over here when he is gone that is a drinking buddy(which is the majority of friends in town).
Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

and that I don't go " woooohooo" 90 days- time to party. That is what I am afraid about.
I have a friend in AA that did that....He has 6+ years now...But he actually did that....Insanity.

P.S. He did 90 meetings in 90 days and drank on the 91st day.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad you're still thinking about positive changes MC

D
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also have a tough situation coming up. My BF, who has been a real support (not as a counselor, but as a friend to do sober things with me) has to go out of the country for 12 days. I will be lonely, and I know I will want to go out and drink. He leaves tomorrow, and I need to come up with a plan. I have the best intentions, but that isn't good enough. I was thinking about writing down the reasons I can't drink and posting it on the fridge. Also, to not let anyone over here when he is gone that is a drinking buddy(which is the majority of friends in town).
Go drop in on a few AA meetings...All you need to be there is a desire to stop drinking...You're in. You can't get in trouble there and you might meet some cool sober people...It sure couldn't hurt you. Otherwise you can just sit and listen to them.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick
I don't want to go 90 days looking forward to the 91st when I can drink. I am hoping that the 90 days tells me a lot about how my life is changing for the better, and that I don't go " woooohooo" 90 days- time to party. That is what I am afraid about.
I've done exactly that. Two months sober (as planned), and on the first day afterwards (that I had nicknamed B-day for beer day), I got wasted.

Something changed though. Aside from my tolerance going down (I went to bed after only 10 beers, inconceivable), drinking was no longer fun for me past a couple of beers. Not sure why, but I did a few more binges afterwards and each was less and less fun.

Eventually, I decided to stop binge drinking. Good luck on your 90 days.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

MetalChick. You're circumstances are different, but then so are everybody's. Life is so much more free, easy and fun without alcohol. I feared a lifetime of boredom, despair and resentment- it was BS.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats Metalchick Glad things are going well for you.
Not sure what advice I can give on what to do while your BF's away. I'm sort of in the opposite position. My fiance lives in London and we won't be together for another week. [and then it'll just be 7 days together]. I'd try and find some sober friends, I think. People who you can hang out with, go for coffee with.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You're doin' great MC. I enjoy your posts and admire your open minded approach. If you keep that up you can't help but succeed.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. You rock--- all of you! You are a really cool bunch for sure.

I am going to go to a meeting and take your advice. I looked them up for tonight but the info said closed meeting. Not sure what that is about, but I am going to go to an open one tomorrow. What is so cool is that it is really close to where i live. I am nervous and will probably walk in with my hands shaking out of nerves. (they will probably think withdrawal- ha) The bad part is a actually thought about having a few beer before I go to calm my nerves. What a terrible idea. I am going to go shaking or not. Anyhow, I almost bought beer on the way home from taking my BF to the airport, so I figure I better check out this meeting thing if I am going to make it.

I will keep you lovey people posted. thanks for listening and thanks for caring it means a lot to me. I even had a good cry last night(tears just poured out of me from nowhere) I thought about what I have put myself though with alcohol and all the wasted time (no pun) but seriously it felt good to cry.

Take care all- thank you again
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

MC...

I too was so nervous when I went to my first meeting.
I went with a friend.....maybe you could do that?

Anyway...please check out this link

Your First AA Meeting<