Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Everything checked ok with doctor so why am I still worried about my health?

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not seeking health advice here, just wondering if I'm being a hypochondriac and needlessly worrying about something.

Can health problems associated with alcohol abuse resurface years after complete abstinence? After many many years of hard drinking, it'll be almost 2 years since I touched the stuff. I had a physical last year (about 6 months since I stopped) and liver function tests came back normal and the doctor felt no signs of an enlarged liver. I haven't had any symptoms that would suggest liver disease but I can't get over the anxiety when something as simple as skin rashes cause me think they might be subtle signs of liver problems. I read somewhere that elevated liver enzymes usually is a sign of severe liver problems but normal enzyme levels might not show signs of mild liver damage. I want to believe that years of abstinence would repair whatever damage I did to my liver but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and it seems that googling any ailment can be traced back as a symptom of liver disease. (I am aware that alcohol does long-term damage to other organs other than the liver).

I do plan on scheduling another exam later this year but I'm trying to get my blood sugar under control (I'm prediabetic) before I see the doctor to make sure I don't get diagnosed as diabetic. Anyway, does having a clear blood test really means you're in the clear?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll bet if you google it enough...You could find a brain tumor too...Seriously....Take it easy on that stuff.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

AMEN on the stop googling! My daughter had herself convinced she was schizophrenic and bi-polar, had borderline personality disorder, and everything else under the sun. Turns out, she just didn't want to grow up and be responsible for herself.

If the tests show that your liver is okay, then trust them. Yes, you are most likely being a hypochondriac. Calm down!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anxiety is not part of my medical history .but
if it were I'd be calling my doctor for an honest talk.

We are not a medical site but have you noticed this?

Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hope you soon find peace...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay away from Dr. Google! lol
You're probably fine, but sit down with your doctor and ask these questions if it will make you feel better. That's what he/she is there for.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

your doc thinks your hard drinking hasn't affected your health so what can you do about it apart from worry yourself sick? Talk to your doc about your worries.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had an ultra sonic scan on my liver you could talk to the doc about that.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Trust the doctor, not your google abilities!

Great news that your liver is all good!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

when i was 13 months into recovery, i was diagnosed stage 3c melanoma. the dumbest thing for me to do was google. when i finally stopped that and let God and my doctors do what they do best, kept my nose out of it, and put my trust in them that they know what they are doing, i got emotionally and mentally healthier.after all, it takes a lil more than a degree from the knart cancer college to work where my docs work.
if you want to help ease your mind, you may want to seek a 2nd opinion. but if all tests come back good, you may want to let it go and get busy living.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your mind can actually make you sick if you let it.

Think positive. The liver is one of the rare organs that can regenerate. See in your mind that your body is healing, visualize your are healthy as a horse.

If you want to google something, google the Secret. Your life will change ;-)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for feedback all. I know that I tend to worry needlessly sometimes. I do plan on scheduling another physical in a few months. Maybe that would ease my mind somewhat. Thanks again.