Notices

Withdrawal without Dependance?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal without Dependance?

Hey guys, can people go through withdrawal, without being dependent on alcohol?

For example:

I used to be a heavy drinker. I drank to get drunk and loved the flood of dopamine & serotonin. It used to make me feel incredible (until the next day). I would have as many as 10 drinks, up to 3 nights a week. This went on for about 2-3 years. Then, I got sick of the hangovers so I took almost a year off from drinking.

Now I drink 1-2 times a month and no more than 2, maybe 3 cocktails at most. My body craves more, but I force myself to stop as I want to stay in control of it and not allow myself to be hung over! I am very good at controlling it and it's not a problem in that regard.

But, after my body processes the alcohol, my heart races and I get very, very jittery on the inside. It feels like electricity is running through my body! I feel like I am shaking, but I am not really shaking. Maybe just some minor twitching. The sensation is mostly on the inside, as if my nerves are going haywire!

This seems like withdrawal. But I also have anxiety and these are also anxiety symptoms, though I only feel this way after drinking.

So my question is: Do you think people can go through withdrawal, if their not actually dependent on alcohol, but their body is just craving more?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol depresses the nerves, heart, everything. once it's not in you, everything goes haywire.

Please see a doctor or go to the ER and then don't drink.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear. I went to the doctor for a full work up.

So do you think it's a normal reaction and not actual withdrawal? I've just convinced myself I am going to have a seizure and now I have so much anxiety over drinking!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 333president View Post
But, after my body processes the alcohol, my heart races and I get very, very jittery on the inside. It feels like electricity is running through my body! I feel like I am shaking, but I am not really shaking. Maybe just some minor twitching. The sensation is mostly on the inside, as if my nerves are going haywire!

This seems like withdrawal. But I also have anxiety and these are also anxiety symptoms, though I only feel this way after drinking.
It sounds like you're at the beginning of getting the real hangovers. And with that I mean that this is going to get a lot worse the longer you drink.

Please see a professional.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

333 President

We have a rule against giving medical advice

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
The only way to really discover what you're suffering from is to see a medical professional.

Sometimes you might have to see a few and get a few second opinions before you find answers that satisfy you.

As noone can really answer questions like
So do you think it's a normal reaction and not actual withdrawal?
without breaking our rule 10, this thread is closed.

D