Notices

Alcoholism & Depression - BIG problems

Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism & Depression - BIG problems

I have posted a few threads since I had a meltdown on the 21st May and was admitted into a pysche unit. I stopped drinking three months ago. I didn't realise that I was an alcoholic and depressed and had been self medicating with alcohol for many decades. Without the alcohol, things deteriorated until the wheels finally came off. The result is that i have ended up in a very dark place and I am plagued by suicidal thoughts. I have the AA, a crisis team, therapy (CBT) and meds- i am trying to hold onto my weight and force myself to exercise-- i am doing most things I think but i am losing ground. I just wanted to share this as I had never thought of the depression - alcoholism link but it makes sense- the following may be useful for SR members who may be in a similar situation ... Depression and Alcoholism: Five Tips for Recovery | Psych Central
I just need to share these thoughts with SR - sometimes it keeps my head above water
David
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Hang in there. I never thought i was that depressed either. I thought anxiety was my main culprit. the 2 go hand in hand but are uniquely different. Each positive step truely does make life a little better. This coming from someone who said oh whats the use many of times. Sometimes all you can do is breathe or go for a walk or take a deep breath but thats the only positive thing your able to force yourself to do. It gets better.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pleeeeasedont give up 5 seconds before the miracle happens!

thoughts and prayers your way this morning( dont forget to pray,too!)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't give up David, you've done the right thing posting on here. Even if no one replies it's great to vent, I was down last night big time, posted in my blog and it took a weight off.

Keep fighting the fight mate!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

David...
Thanks for shareing that link and your expereinces...
My history is different from yours...but perhaps you wil find it useful.

The final 5 years I drank I was depressed...then diagnosed with situational depression.
My doctor said to quit drinking and he suggested AA for help with quitting.

I was not thrilled...but my sanity was shakey...so off I went

Rather quickly my depression began to lift...by the end of 2 months of AA recovery .
.it had vanished. Has not returned for 23 years
regardless of all the ups and downs of life.

Hope you too will soon find your way into a purpose and joy filled life....
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I haven't checked out the link yet, but I will. I have struggled with depression my entire life- even as a child- way before I ever drank. Depression is a scary beast. I loved CBT and found it really did help. You are not alone in this struggle.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
pleeeeasedont give up 5 seconds before the miracle happens!

thoughts and prayers your way this morning( dont forget to pray,too!)
And the prayers I say while walking to an AA meeting seem to be the ones that come to fruition first.

DONUT, keep attending your meetings regularly, this too shall pass.

I attended meetings daily in the first year or two of sobriety. If you knew they were giving free beer at the pub from 7-9pm you would certainly find a way to get to it... do the same to get your free daily dose of sobriety, sanity, serenity.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My depression issues got worse also when I quit drinking the first time. I went into my first major depression & hospitilization at 19. Years before I started drinking & drugging.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is medicating depression with drink any differnent to an alcoholic without depression? Is it the same disease?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe it says in the 12&12 that the three states of the alcoholic are anxiety,depression,and excitement.Quite true from what I have seen over the years.
Alcoholism is a dark stain on the mind that lessens when we drink,stop drinking and things get darker and darker.It is the compensating actions of AA that make the alcoholism tolerable.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So by default alcoholics at least have depressive episodes causing them to seek 'excitement' through drink? Also same goes for numbing anxiety?

Because that sums me up entirely.