Notices

Sober Social Event Observation

Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Social Event Observation

The vast majority of people don't care if you drink or not, the ones that care will press you to have one, are invariably drunk and often end up admitting they wish they could stop and admire your for not drinking (I guess misery loves company).

The ones that 'get it' are a joy to find, the ones who know that feeling of not being able to stop once started and are honest with it (I estimate in any situation it's probably about one in 8 or 10 seem to have the bug, whether they identify or not is another thing).

Went to a party last night refused all drinks, drank water and was still the one trying to turn the music up and get everyone dancing, seems like even the 'fun' things are mine and not the booze. Really have to scratch that one off the 'pro' side of my cost benefit analysis.

Thanks for reading, hope this message finds you strong and happy too.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donenow
The vast majority of people don't care if you drink or not
As far as parties go, well-attended ones anyway, I agree with you. Too much going on for people to care what you're drinking.

I don't really agree with you when it comes to all social occasions.

The first time I decided to cut out the booze for awhile, two days into it in fact, a friend asked me to go to a dance club with him. I don't dance so I didn't want to go, but I knew he was asking because an ex of his would be there and he wanted moral support. Besides, he knew I was off the juice and had encouraged me to do so, so I figured he would give me some support in return...

Anyway, we get there and I go to the bar to ask for some water. The barmaid gives me a bottle (which cost as much as a beer anyway) looking at me like I'm some exotic animal which doesn't smell very good. I made sure she gave me back exact change although I'm usually a good tipper.

A bit later, I start a little side conversation with a girl who eventually asks me why I'm drinking water. I tell her I'm trying to cut down and the side conversation ends roughly 5.1 seconds later.

Still a bit later, my friend leans in and tells me I could have one beer, just not to get wasted like I always do. Still later, he says there's something wrong with his beer and asks me to taste it. I had a sip and told him it's fine, he just ordered an IPA without realizing it. Incidentally, he was not drunk and has no drinking problems himself.

So, I've found that there are social occasions where people will notice, and care, whether you're drinking or not.