Notices

Foods you used to enjoy

Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Foods you used to enjoy

I got good news from the doctor today and decided to treat myself to a big bag of Doritos. They were a favorite of mine to eat while getting wasted.

I finished the bag because there's a law against opening a bag of chips without finishing it, but I didn't really enjoy them too much. Certainly not enough to justify all the empty calories.

With kettle-cooked chips, it's even worse. I used to love them when drunk out of my skull, I'd go buy more if I ran out no matter how drunk I was. When sober, or even a bit buzzed, I find them very greasy and they make me nauseous.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't think of anything I used to eat when I was drunk that I don't like now. But then I'm one of the (supposedly) rare people who's had a kebab while stone cold sober.
By the same token, most of the stuff I used to eat loads of while drunk, I wouldn't eat in the same amounts sober. I'm thinking crisps of all kinds, dry roast peanuts. [Crumbs, could I ever pack those away...]
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes. I find that when you are aware (sober) you make better decisions all around. Including food. I like high-fiber, high-protein and low-fat. No barroom food for me anymore. As you say, I just don't enjoy it. When you are aware that you are doing something bad for you, it loses it's appeal. My favorite now is oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips. So overall healthy but a little treat too. It's the holistic approach. Your whole life. Hugs.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"...there's a law against opening a bag of chips without finishing it"

So full of win!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never really ate much while drinking.

I like gummies, hot sauce and ginger ale now.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I found out I could eat spicy food while sober. No digestive problems!

I still don't eat junk, although I indulged a few times while sober. Still have a sweet tooth, though!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Chicken wings and Taco Bell...

Not gonna happen sober!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beer and cashews was popular with me. Don't eat cashews anymore.
On the flip side,I rarely ate chocolate. But it has become quite a problem since I quit. When I first quit my reasoning was beer doesn't even sound good after 1/2 a chocolate cake,or even a candy bar, Now over 3 years later,I can't shake the chocolate monster. Beats the hell out of the beer monster though.
Fred
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

When I was drinking I didn't eat anything......... just drank.

Food tastes fabulous now
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

After a blackout...I woke to smears of red all over the bed and me.
Blood! I shreiked ... heading to a mirror....

I no longer care for delivery Pizza...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hm... there's a lot of things I don't eat now that I used to love. Bacon cheeseburgers and fries from McDonalds with a rum and coke on the side *shudder.* You know I'd eat the whole thing too. You can get fried cheese curds with ranch at a bar I used to like. I LOVED those. Basically I liked anything with a lot of fat and salt.

Now, I actually have panic attacks when I go out to eat at a breakfast diner - seriously! There were so many days I'd roll in from a night of hard drinking and order the biggest, spiciest, greasiest thing on the menu, chase a couple xanax with way too much coffee, and pass out until 5PM ready to start again. My grandmother still loves that stuff... she has no idea why I hate going out to breakfast with her now! These days toast, fruit, and tea are more my speed.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, what is it about abusing alcohol that makes you crave salt and fat? I couldn't get enough chips, fries, fast food etc. while drinking, but now that sounds pretty gross.

I stopped for a fast food burger the other day, thinking I could justify this "treat" since I don't have the alcohol calories... but it just seemed icky and made me feel almost drugged. Conditioned reflex? Or maybe that stuff is full of who-knows-what, and a sober body is better able to detect unhealthiness.