Notices

help im self detoxing!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help im self detoxing!!!

Hi, im 24 hours without alcohol. i have been drinking since i was 15 im 27 now. My alcohol worker wont give me a home detox and has referred me to residential detox because of dangers. Ive been waiting too long. I need to give up NOW. Im sleeping and being sick. got pains in my stomach. shaking sweating etc. im drinking plenty milk and water. My partner is with me. This is the worst day of my life. Is there anything to make it easier
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you are concerned, please have your partner take you to the ER. Home detox can be deadly, so don't mess around with it.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go to the emergency room!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

For sure, please go to an ER if you are concerned. Detoxing from alcohol can be unpredicable and dangerous.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

And Yes! the ER is the best idea.

Welcome...
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was in er 2 days ago they gave me librium for 1 night then sent me home. they said carry on drinking till you get into residential detox. I cant wait for it my world is falling apart i need to give up now.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PLEASE go back to the ER!!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Not to sound harsh, but if you think your world is falling apart now, wait until you have a stroke or seizures from alcohol detox. PLEASE, follow the instructions of your alcohol worker and the ER. They know a lot more about this than you do.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're not alone - alcohol withdrawal feels like a level of hell I never want to revisit! Don't do what I did...withdrawals were so bad that I thought I would croak that day. Woke up amazed that I was still alive. I would tell myself to go see a doctor if I could do day 1 over again (hopefully that won't happen again)
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can't do this without medical supervision !!
It's very dangerous.
Please go to a doctor.
Good luck.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It does sound like you are in an emergency situation. That is what the ER is for. Please go.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nearly 48 hours now. managed a shower and shave. lay on sofa feeling depressed. hot and cold sweats. drinking plenty juice and trying fruit. my partner is with me if we feel we need er i will go. i feel as though i need to do it by myself.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

xxjamiexx....
We can only urge you of course it's up to you how you de tox.
Prayers coming your way that you survive without serious
and or lasting complications.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It sounds crazy but the ER that you visited is right. The Dr. orders of continued drinking until you get into a residential program is the best option. Not sure as to why they didn't keep you for 3-4days for detox though. That's what they use to do with me. In the hospital for 3-4 days & then they would send me home with a "detox kit" of meds & vitamins. I've done it at least a dozen times.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxjamiexx View Post
Hi, im 24 hours without alcohol. i have been drinking since i was 15 im 27 now. My alcohol worker wont give me a home detox and has referred me to residential detox because of dangers. Ive been waiting too long. I need to give up NOW. Im sleeping and being sick. got pains in my stomach. shaking sweating etc. im drinking plenty milk and water. My partner is with me. This is the worst day of my life. Is there anything to make it easier
I have self-detoxed myself a few times. It is not fun. The last time that I tried I went 4 days and thought that I was out of the woods. Ha...on the 5 day I went into full DT's or had a psychotic break. It is hard to tell the difference. I thought that I was dead and everyone that I knew was dead. A friend came by to check on me and I was out of my mind. I did not even know what country I was in. Please take your friends advice and go to the ER. They will re-hydrate you, feed you the necassary balanced diet that is so important. Avoid the torture of self-detox.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Not everyone handles detox the same. Just because one person only needs a couple of days to feel better doesn't mean that the next person won't need a week or more. Just because one person didn't suffer ill effects doesn't mean the next person won't have serious problems.

It is ALWAYS better to err on the side of caution. It is very irresponsible to discourage someone from seeking medical attention for something as dangerous as alcohol detox. The alcohol worker you have been seeing knows you better than we do, knows your drinking history, and the ER doctors told you not to attempt detox at home. It is foolhardy at best to poo poo the advice of professionals.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

day 3. feeling little better. still shaky and dizzy and pale. feel sick a little. managed to eat and keep it down. things can only get better. still taking note of all your advice and i will go er if things change.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Make sure you remember how miserable you have been the past 3 days. Because if you are like a lot of us, in a couple of weeks you might start thinking about drinking again.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ive already thought "im not going through this again". But time will tell. Im getting angry and depressed at the moment. Hope it passes.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

im being made to wait around for detox and its like torture. i just want to get there right now but the people who organise it all are having me hang around. i get withdrawl so im now scared to drink and scared not to drink so i am going through pure hell at the moment.