Notices

noticed alcohol affects my mind different

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

noticed alcohol affects my mind different

Just wondering if this is something unique to alcoholics. When I drink too much/binge all day/night. Seems like once I'm done and sober up. I am so depressed. Want to be alone. Hide from the world etc. My "freinds" who could drink as much or go out and get trashed - just don't feel that way or understand (not that they need to nor do I care that they do). they just think it's no big deal that they got trashed or whatever.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressant, amongst other things

At some point in their drinking careers, your "friends" will come to the same way of thinking you are.

If it's no big deal what they're thinking and doing - does it really matter? If you think it's a big deal with yourself, then I'd say you should consider doing something about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I just had this discusion with my husband the other day. For about 2-3 days after a binge I feel depressed, anxious, embarassed, suicidal, etc. I asked him if he ever felt this way when he had a hangover. He said no- he just has a headache. HA- headache is the least of my hangover issues!

I am an alcoholic and have stopped drinking. I don't feel this way when I wake up anymore.

Seems non-alcoholic hangovers are mainly physical without all the mental crap that we feel.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree totally with FredG, it's about you now them.

You also probably feel depressed because of some level of guilt you might have towards yourself. You know deep inside the relationship you have with Alchool and if it's a healthy one or not. Your friends are a different relationship then you, they are stil in love with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it's no big deal what they're thinking and doing - does it really matter? If you think it's a big deal with yourself, then I'd say you should consider doing something about it.
I guess part of me wishes I could be one of those, drink with no consequences people, get drunk and think its no big deal kind of people. But fact is I AM different and I am doing something about it

You also probably feel depressed because of some level of guilt you might have towards yourself
That is probably it too.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to have "normal" hangovers... but when I started drinking really heavily, like the all day/all night kind you describe, that's when my body and brain went through hell coming off it. Exactly like you say -- shame, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts.

It really doesn't matter what your friends go through. All that matters is that YOU experience this nightmare after you drink. Don't worry about labels (alcoholic? non-alcoholic, etc) just that you don't want to go through these awful withdrawals, and you don't have to if you don't drink.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Seems like once I'm done and sober up. I am so depressed."
welp, the reason, IMO, is because that is what alcohol is supposed to do to us who cant drink like normal people.
i also believe that the misery wasnt because you sobered up. ya just stopped drinking.

sober-not affected by alcohol; not drunk;
serious, sensible, and solemn
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The final 5 years I was a drinker...I was very depressed.
Finally got a diagnoses of situational depression...caused by alcohol.

I was actually relieved because I thought it was going to be forever.
That's when I joined AA and began my recovery..

Rather quicly I noticed my depression was lifting..by the end of
2 months of AA recovery...it vanished...has not returned.

Hope everyone finds their way into a sober life of purpose and joy....
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

im the same everyday, i dont answer my phone, i dont deal with people at the door (today i shouted at my son to tell the milkman to come back another day becaus i just couldnt face anyone). theres even times i cant stand my boyfriend to come anywhere near me but i know its down to the drink as when im ok with interacting with people ill just go over to him for a cuddle. when it comes to the amount people drink, i have a drink problem but i always wonder how people can drink allday everyday as i only drink on a night and wonder how someone can still be standing after drinking vodka or cider all day as i drink just lager on a night but iv realised everyone is different with how much their body can handle and im actually thankful that i never got into drinking through the day and drinking things like vodka or cider as i think id be much worse than what i am and i feel dreadful now. people that only drink 3 nights a week can also have a drink problem as they can consume just as much in 3 days as what an alcoholic can consume in 1 week. one more thing, your friends might make out they are fine after a night out as its a masculine thing to be able to handle drink but some of them could be feeling the same way as you yet wont admit it incase it takes away their masculinity, but in all honesty your the better man out of them for saying enough is enough
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That guilt and shame is a terrible energy suck...today was my first Monday waking up feeling worthy of my day. No guilt, no shame, no feelings of "Today is Monday...a fresh start." My fresh start started last Monday and I want it to be the last "fresh start" I ever have. I find I have more energy now that it's not focused on the guilt or feelings of worthlessness. I still cannot believe I never connected the dots between the alcohol and my anxiety/depression. The one thing that worked to calm me down is what got me most high strung other times of the day!!! I feel much more relaxed and patient after just a week.

As far as your friends...yes, it's all about how you feel, but you really never know what's going on in someone else's mind. They may present in such a way that it's no big deal, but they may be struggling as well. You never know so try not to worry about what they think or how they seem to handle alcohol. All that matters is how you feel about you and how your body reacts.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Towards the end, I didn't get regular hangovers. I went into anxious panics. It was AWFUL, but a blessing. Alcohol stopped *working* completely. I would start having heart palps and anxiety while drinking.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes alcohol is a depressant. I felt that too.