Notices

Vacation encouragement please :)

Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation encouragement please :)

I'm going on a long weekend vacation with my 2 sisters and niece (21) . We've been going for 7 years, usually involving lots of drinking. I have 19 days sober right now and want to keep it that way. My family is very supportive, but I'm scared I'll cave in and drink. I don't want to. I just need some encouraging words. Thanks
Renee
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You can do this. I share 19 days with you too. We got this! The beach is a great place by itself. There are so many things that dont need to involve alcohol. Just simply enjoy being alive and not feeling hung over! You CAN do this!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by renee410 View Post
I'm going on a long weekend vacation with my 2 sisters and niece (21) . We've been going for 7 years, usually involving lots of drinking. I have 19 days sober right now and want to keep it that way. My family is very supportive, but I'm scared I'll cave in and drink. I don't want to. I just need some encouraging words. Thanks
Renee
Bring your AA Book.
Call women from AA while you are on your trip.
Have the AA hotline telephone number with you.
Research meetings near where you will be staying.
Pray.
Make a list of what happens when you drink, write it down and bring it with you in case delusion sets in.
Stay in service to others. Find the person, or thing that needs your help. Stay in positive action.
Take lots of photographs.
Journal.

One more thing...

I just recently got back from my first sober vacation.

I called my sponsor from the trip because other people were drinking and it made me want to drink.

She said...

"I am sure it is not God's will for you to be drunk."

and

"I am sure you didn't go on a trip so you could get drunk and ruin it for yourself and others."

You get to do it differently.

You don't have to get drunk this time.

Be encouraged.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first one is a little tough, especially so early in sobriety.

Just remember, it does get better, lots better. I am on my fourth summer vacation since recovery and it's fine, just fine. I have taken up new interests for vacation fun and they are so much more rewarding than before!

Have a plan, phone numbers, leave if you have to. You can do this. Take walks, read, all that. Next year it will be something you look forward to, not feel anxious about!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by renee410 View Post
Renee

do a forum search for "sober vacation" and you will find tons of inspiring messages
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...it's possible to have sober fun...vacation or not....
perhaps finding something different to do that you
would not have considered as a drinker.

Participating in anything is always better clear headed and sober. Please don't let alcohol ruin your time together.

Prayers that you continue your sobreity
Enjoy your special time with your family...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it! Make a long long list of all the sober wonderful things you can do on holidays, I'll start (I'm going on holidays in August and it's a big deal to face it sober).

Waking up without a hangover and getting the best sun-lounge chair (or breakfast before the rush, enjoying time alone reading, watch a sunrise, meditating, or REALLY sleeping--when you're hungover you're not truly sleeping in and relaxing)!

You know you can do it, be prepared and practice, don't let doubts creep in.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"...lead me not into temptation...."
Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

If your family members you will be with are supporting you and not drinking also: don't even mention drinking or making it the "elephant in the room". Make plans beforehand on some activities so there will be structure and not so much time to fill with "let's have a drink" or "i'm bored, wanna have a drink". have a routine to the days. i think if you have some reading that is inspirational to you to keep on keeping on. and also a vacation journal so that you can talk to yourself and let out any negative feelings or thoughts of being scared, awkwardness and the good stuff too. then you can read it later and see how things went - your true thoughts at the time. for every day that you don't drink and do other activities, send a postcard to yourself - something to look forward to when you get home. write positive things on them.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Update ---
Yeah! I did it!!!
I am so lucky to have such a great, supportive family. My niece drank one might (she was hungover the next day), but my sisters decided not to drink at all
Also, they couldn't believe how much money we all saved by not drinking!
We had such a great time, and I am so proud of myself for being honest with them (and myself) . Thanks for all of your support and advice
Renee
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whoo Hoo! Good job! It gets easier. Keep going friend
Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

My sponsor would tell me not to go if all I had was 19 days. I am powerless over alcohol, and it ruined my life.
I had to change everything about me, including my hangouts, vacations places, and friends. My family is always going to be there, but I am no longer hanging out with my sister because she drinks heavily. I am hanging with my brother, who has a year and a half of sobriety, and my mom.

Alcohol is cunning and powerful and baffling. It sneaks up on me and gets me to drink it. I can't afford to be the same person I was before.