Notices

Laco-fermented foods, kefir, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Laco-fermented foods, kefir, etc.

I've read about the nutritional and probiotic benefits of lacto-fermented foods such as brine pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, and kombucha. Lacto-fermentation creates trace amounts of alcohol which are present in juices, yogurt, sour cream, etc, which people eat on a regular basis. Has anyone considered these trace alcohols? I was thinking about making brine pickles and kefir even though there are trace amounts of alcohol. I've had kombucha and NA beers a few times with no desire to drink the real thing. I feel comfortable in my sobriety and don't get thoughts of using. To me, these products wouldn't be cause for concern because nobody eats sauerkraut or kimchi to get a buzz.

What do others think?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. When I was in my first few weeks of withdrawal, I had stomach issues. I read that apple cider vinegar balances your PH or something. So I drank a glass of water with a few spoons in it everyday. I'm not real sure what it did. It seemed to help my stomach though.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drink a tsp or so of ACV in a glass of water whenever I think of it. Vinegar also uses fermentation to turn liquids into alcohol and then vinegar. Raw ACV still has the fermenting bacteria present. I suppose probiotics in your gut break down sugars into alcohols anyway.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

Lol ACV saved my life. It brought the panic and anxiety into check quick. I didnt get rid of it but it knocked it down a notch. Life saver godsend for me.

I also make my own kraut now its an absolutly disgusting process to see. I loved kraut then i started making it and learning about it and asking myself OMG i'm gonna eat this? Tasty tho and so good for you.

I never had alcohol related issues to either. But i will admit the ACV sometimes as it goes down makes me think of a hard apple cider or the apple jack i used to make and drink. I guess thats a slight trigger. But i still continue to drink the acv.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Y'all sure have strange taste in odd foods....at least to me...

I have no expereince to share other than I prefer to not eat
anything with alcohol

I don't drink OJ nor do I bake with pure vanilla extract.

Never tried ACV for anything....my stomach works well anyway..

Hope everyone is continueing to heal and enjoy sobriety...