Notices

Withdrawl or what? Please help!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl or what? Please help!

Hi Guys,
I am 30 years old. When I was 25 I used to drink several times a week. Then I took a few years off drinking.

Now I only drink 1-2's times a month, and when I drink it's about 3-4 cocktails. I don't drink to get wasted like I used to. Now I just enjoy a few drinks in moderation.

But lately. After the booze wears off, I am really jittery feeling and my heart races! It happen this weekend. I had 2 cocktails, barely even got a buzz. Once my blood alcohol level hit zero, I got these symptoms as always. It feels like electricity is ruining through my chest, arms, fingers, etc. It's awful. I don't physically shake, but I feel REALLY jittery inside.

I went to a cardiologist to make sure it's not arterial fibrillation and had a full work up. I am healthy and he said it was just anxiety.

What do you think? Is this withdrawal or anxiety? I am SO afraid I am going to have a seizure. Can I be depandant if I only drink 1-2 times a month, granted, I used to drink pretty heavy years ago?

Getting married in a few weeks and would love to have a glass of champagne, without feeling like I am going to have a seizure.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

"Can I be depandant if I only drink 1-2 times a month, granted, I used to drink pretty heavy years ago?"

Sounds strange the the symptoms you describe are the exact things that drove me to quit combined with aweful panic attacks. The electric feeling still happens now but luckily not as instense and i'm one year sober.

I didnt htink it was the booze either tried this tried that soon as i stopped drinking things started improving.

Assuming its booze related simple answer is dont drink.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like withdrawals to me. Anxiety is a withdrawal symptom too. If you connected the feeling with the lack of alcohol, then it probably is. Why is the glass of champagne important? I don't get it. It's not important to me. Sobriety is. Best wishes. Dr. Phil is talking about drunk drivers. Try urge surfing.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not giving medical advice here, just saying that I highly doubt you would be going through withdrawal from that amount of booze just a few times a month. The fact that you are so terrified of going into a seizure also makes it sound like nothing more than anxiety.
Why not just toast with some sparkling cider or something non alcoholic? I am getting married in a couple weeks too btw! Congrats!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This could be withdraw you are experiencing or it could be something else. For me, whenever my BAC started dropping after drinking, I would feel severe anxiety, panic and discomfort. So you may be experiencing something similar but not as severe if you are in fact only consuming 3-4 drinks.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nerves..
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no idea....glad you did get a medical opinion.

I am an alcoholic....no doubt in that.
I never got the "shocks" or anxiety or panic attacks as some have

Instead I had to deal with depression caused by alcohol
That began to lift rather qquickly in early sobriety.
I quit many years ago...my depression has never returned.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
All my best as you begin your marriage...
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

It doesn't sound like you would be alcohol dependent, so I doubt it's withdrawal.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Do you eat and drink water while drinking alcohol? Low blood sugar can cause jitters, but I can't see any way that that small of an amount of alcohol could cause withdrawal from alcohol.

Unrealistic fears can be a sign of anxiety disorders from what I have heard- but I am no doctor. I think alcoholics that get seizures when they quit are pretty hardcore drinkers for a long time, so your fear seems unrealistic to me.

That is my 2 cents-- but again, I am no healthcare pro and a newbie here

I also don't see the point of 1 or 2 drinks, that is just a teaser for me, I would rather not drink then have only 1 or 2-- if that makes sense.

Good luck to you
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For how little you are drinking it's odd to have those things happen, which is very common with those that drink much more, though you may just simply not have a system that tolerates alcohol well. Just make sure to drink plenty of fluids as well as a meal before you drink again, which should help.