Notices

Im not sure about this

Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im not sure about this

today is my 3rd day sober

today is so hard. i see all my friends pics on facebook and i wanna be with them but they all drink. im lonely, sitting homw all alone.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would stay off facebook. I used to go on facebook all the time. One of my biggest triggers is being around people who drink. I would not go into a bar. I'm not a normal drinker so I don't have the luxury to think like that. ... good luck. Stay strong and go find some sober friends. I recommend a meeting
Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welp, you are here and not drinking so ya made a good decision to change 2 things and that progress.
we are here. may be crazy and sober, but we're here.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Tigerlover,, I would like to suggest that you disable your Facebook account , temporarily, ie. for few days.. You can always enable it after few days or weeks.. None of your old friends will be lost and once you enable , your friends list will be the same .

If you are serious about qutting alcohole, do you still want to hang around with the friends who drink hard ???

OR create a new FB account and look for Sober Friends who share the same hobby,sports, activity, you like ...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

As difficult as it is find the bright side about being "all alone" there is one probably different for everyone. But focus on that and hold on tight. You'll get through it. Even if that is all you got to hold on too. In a way you have to be a bit selfish. its your life at stake not theres you have to work hard at repairing yourself right now. Thats the most important thing not what there doing or all the drinking fun your missing out on. Seriously are you missing out? if you are why did you remain sober for 3 days?
Its doubtful your missing out on anything other then the illusion of a good time. Hang in there worry about yourself and getting better.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety....I found a local AA group with mostly singles.
We had a blast...did all sorts of fun and interesting things outside
of meetings. I think having new sober friends helped me a lot...
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep in mind that Facebook is a narcissist's dream - a platform for them to share whatever THEY choose to share with the world. Of course they are going to post pictures of them drinking with friends and having fun.

I wonder why they don't show the morning after when they're hungover as hell, laying in bed afraid to open their eyes, or puking into the toilet? How come there are no status updates about how they've wasted their entire day laying on the couch trying to nurse a hangover? Why no status updates concerning their withdrawal anxiety or the shakes? All I can say is facebook is not representative of their real lives and there is not much to yearn after when it comes to posts like that. IMHO.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

stay off Facebook--delete your account if you have to. I just posted a thread about it a week ago. Facebook drove me nuts. Good luck--it can be done!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

I always felt alone when I drank. Over time it got worse.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tigerlover 3 days sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. It sounds like to me you honestly want to stay sober. If your friends will still except you as a sober person then it is on you be with them and stay sober. Regretably I couldn't be with my friends and stay sober. I do not associate with any of them and in the beginning it was painful and hurt terribly. 1 year 11 months 9 days sober now it hardly bothers me at all. You are just starting life as an adult, and its better to be sober than not. Prayin for ya.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Tiger,

I know, that sucks. I also see the stupid fights and lame posts some of my friends make when they drunk off their asses.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mwstylee, what a great post. So true. Welcome tiger! Your post is how most of us felt in the beginning. I was so scared I was going to lose all my friends when I got sober because our friendships were based on drinking. I've learned, over time those friendships were not as deep as I thought they were. One of the hardest things in recovery and growing up is learning which friends care about you and which ones care about a party. You now get to find out, which is a blessing. In my case, the relationships I have now are more genuine and fulfilling than I ever had in drinking. Give it time because it takes time to wash out. But if you stick with it, things will change for the better.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too posted about FB and agree - it bothered me that there is so much posting about drinking, pictures of drinks, jokes about drinking etc. What MW wrote was great- no posts about that aspect of drinking.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi tiger! I am so happy that you are still sober. It is hard to change your life. Keep going. You will be feeling better physically and mentally. It will be well worth it. Hugs
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know that feeling Tigerlover. It was so hard to leave the old crew. At least what happened to me was that after a while we stopped having anything in common. I realized that what kept us together as friends was the fact that we did the same things and drank the same way.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Even to this day two years later I look at some of those photos and remember the 'good ol days' but I have to snap back to reality and remember that right after those happy moments I would be in blackout, doing regrettable things and waking up in some yard or a strangers house.