Notices

Question

Old 01-04-2004, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Spurred on from reading threads here, I attended my first AA meeting today (3+ yrs. sober). I enjoyed the meeting and the people very much. I was given a beginner's info package at the end that I read when I got home. One of the "myths" dispelled in this info was that alcoholism IS NOT hereditary. My question is: What geneticist in the organization decided this?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Band and congrats on your first meeting and more importantly your sober 3 years! Awesome!!! Wow, I'm not sure which piece of literature your speaking of but I and this is my opinion will disagree to an extent. My family is full of alcoholics though my parents themselves were "normal".

I was just reading Under the Influence, and it does appear based on the physiological aspects of alcoholism it is in part heridetary. Sometimes we just need to "take what we need and leave the rest".. though perplexing it is!

Good question though, don't let it detour you from going back, IMO that's in inaccurate statement.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi band, very good question. Sometime ago I asked a counselor at an after program the same question. As I read something along those lines.

First I got the lecture as to why this disease hasnt been at least at that time labled a life threatening disease which would entitle it for more funding for reasearch like cancer, heart disease etc. As we all know it sure as hell is a life threatening disease. But its a disease of the mind more than the physical sense. Thus making it very difficult to look at it as they do other diseases. All I got from it was this. Its a mental disease causing physical effects. Left untreated once its progressed almost certain to lead to death. So why the debate in the scientific world. Cause no-one really has the answer. They havent spent the time nor effort into it. I guess only an alcoholic can understand an alcoholic. But boy they sure as hell make the money off it dont they. Billions $$$ are made every year in detox centers, after care, and programs related to this disease. And the main program as I see it is free. Because not 1 of them can come up with any better solution compared to AA. Do I believe its inherited, I sure do! at least by example. In my case as to not lay blame, I believe alot of us are taught. Maybe it isnt genetic. But I wonder how long I could get my young son to believe the color "black" is white. And the color "white" is black. I bet I can! Its only till they develope their mind and trust other influences they may question it. Then the question is will it still be there in their mind long after they knew better. It sure as hell would!

Theres a song out there by "Billy Carrington" Called "Walk a little straighter" wondeful song about alcoholism and its influence to the next generation. Learning by example is how many of us inherited this disease. That my friend is no secret. Whether it is inherited by genetics or not really doesnt mean much. The only difference would be is we got 1 more reason to tell ourself its not our fault. And have another excuse. I tend to look at it like. I was born this way and Im stopping the cycle right frickin now.

phil
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know that you will find too many MDs or even folks "in the field that will argue the point that there is not a "genetic component" to alcoholism. Whether this manifests as a predisposition towards the disease, or as a predictor of possible behavior, is the most probable "battleground" for the question that you raise. Isuppose it's more "how" that genetic component will play out, rather than the fact that it's there in the first place.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey

I did a seach on google for "alcoholism gene"
there seems to be a ton of work being done to identify this gene.

but even if there is a gene that is common in alcoholics, I read that it would only make you more predesposed to become an alcoholic, theres also cultural, and psycological factors to consider,
I guess it really doen't matter, fact is that millions have gotten sober through AA, and probably as many have not.
take it or pick it apart, its up to you.

good luck and 3 years is great no matter how you did it.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so glad you enjoyed the meeting...Congratulations on your sober time.

I knew many family members..even 2 Great Grands. A few Aunts and Uncles dramk socially. Not my parents or Grandparents.

And yet my only sibling and myself became alcoholics.

For me..I don`t know or care how we got there.
We both found long term sobriety with AA.

I consider AA meetings a path to a better way of living.

Chy said it "Take what you need...leave the rest"