Notices

Can an alcoholic work in a bar?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
learning

I will just offer this...

I was fired from the job I had when I created my username years ago...for drinking on the job.

Since then I have 2 1/2 years of continuous sobriety

Best firing I ever had!

But that's just me...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I know some bars don't allow you to drink on the job, but its the after hours what I would worry about.

Maybe you need to educate your parents on alcoholism. a lot of people don't know its a diseased and just need to understand it.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I could handle it, but part of me thinks it would actually be cathartic in my situation. I NEVER drank in bars, I always drank at home. Bars just didn't work for me because it was too expensive and I would lose control and blackout.

I've been in plenty of bars since rehab (my first attempt at sobriety) and it has not tempted me at all, it just makes me sad to see people who remind me of myself.

One thing about bars that does get to me is that I am young and live in the city, and meeting new people means every conversation ends with, "Let's get a drink!" I have thrown away so many girls' phone numbers because the bar wouldn't tempt me, but the possibility of someone filling the loneliness void might be too hard to pass up.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

darn it

It's the old Barber Shop story.
If I hang around long enough at a Barber Shop,
I will probably end up with a haircut.

If I hang around long enough at a bar (working or not)
I may end up with a drink or two or three or darn it, I lost count yet again !

MM
Old 02-28-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have a client who own's four(soon to be five) bars and actually tends bar at one. He's been sober 9yrs next month. I don't know how he does it,besides the fact that he's making money hand over fist! He's actually told me in the past: "If I have ONE drink I'll be shooting up cocaine by the end of the night."
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
"If I have ONE drink I'll be shooting up cocaine by the end of the night."
It's true, for some the two run hand in hand.
Just another good reason not to drink for some.

MM
Old 03-01-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know several. One has 22 yrs. sober and the other around 10.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Frankh77 - as you mentioned, this original post is a few years old. You'd mentioned how it was difficult for you to work in your current industry due to the drinking culture that surrounds the business.

I'm around your age and used to work at a restaurant and was also a bartender. There is no way in heck I'd return to the service industry and I applaud you for noticing the challenges that might come with this line of work. Any thoughts on alternatives? The restaurant biz experience gives you a good background that you can apply to other careers. I myself have dipped my toes into tourism and adventure style shops (backpacking/hiking stores, outdoors stuff, etc). Maybe you can shift your focus?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes, its possible My late father was an alcoholic, and became sober while bartending. He said you just really have to want it. He said it didn't bother him at all. I couldn't believe it myself, but its true.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It can go either way, but the temptation would be extreme.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I know a handful of people who actually own bars.
So yes, an alcoholic can work in a bar.
We can not hide from alcohol.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
We can not hide from alcohol.
True. But we don't have to spend our days in bars and pubs. Those places are Ground Zero for alcohol in terms of consumption and visibility. We have choices. I don't "hide" from alcohol - I simply choose to spend my personal and professional life focused on the other 99.9% of the world. This has helped me grow and change as a person, and I think that getting away from alcohol is good for other alcoholics as well.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The guy nearly died after three alcohol induced seizures and you parents are suggesting he becomes a bartender?? Drinking scotch in front of him?

They are free to drink scotch pretty much when they want but it all sounds completely inappropriate to me. I would recommend an alcoholic who had almost died worked sweeping the streets before I would recommend they work in a bar.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I know a few folks like us that are around booze in their jobs. Guess it depends on the individual.
Glad your here franky, sounds like you've answered your own question which is really all that matters........

Keep coming back!

Last edited by Fly N Buy; 03-03-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: dated thread.....
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've done it. In early sobriety I had no choice- either live with an active alcoholic or work in a bar.

People are all shocked that the parents are drinking in front of him. They very well may be alcoholics. Drinking is a part of life. We can't escape it. I had to live with my mom in early recovery and she drinks every day. I can't expect her to stop for my benefit if she's an alcoholic.

I work in a bar/restaurant now. Doesn't bother me. But I'm the exception to the rule.

However, I never would go to a bar unless I was there for employment purposes.