Notices

What is an alcoholic?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick
That makes a lot of sense to me, and I didn't hear that before until I came to this room, but I am relating to this.
If I were to quote everything I can relate to, I'd quote about half of everything that's been said in this thread. The posts by aeo1313, hypochondriac and RobbyRobot have hit particularly close to home.

I consider myself an alcoholic (albeit in the incipient stage), but since things are under control for now and I've got a lot going on at the moment, I'll focus on the other stuff in my life and try not too worry too much about the future (or the past, for that matter).

I have a doctor's appointment in a few days because my chest has been acting up. I'll take the opportunity to have a little talk with him about my drinking habits (past and present) and ask to have my liver enzymes checked. I don't have any reasons to be worried, but it couldn't hurt to know where I'm standing.

For now, my plan is six drinks a week, allowing for one or two more when I have a special occasion, and it seems to be working out. I'll keep reading the forum and I'll post when I feel weak. I'll let you guys know if I slip up.

When I decide to stop giving Lady Liquor the occasional booty call and finalize our break-up, I'll let you know.

Thank you for the support.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Someguy23 View Post
I have a doctor's appointment in a few days because my chest has been acting up. I'll take the opportunity to have a little talk with him about my drinking habits (past and present) and ask to have my liver enzymes checked. I don't have any reasons to be worried, but it couldn't hurt to know where I'm standing.

For now, my plan is six drinks a week, allowing for one or two more when I have a special occasion, and it seems to be working out. I'll keep reading the forum and I'll post when I feel weak. I'll let you guys know if I slip up.

When I decide to stop giving Lady Liquor the occasional booty call and finalize our break-up, I'll let you know.

Thank you for the support.
Awesome.

Have a great day, Someguy. Great thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi, I have not had a drink in 40 days. Feel better in many ways... high functioning with few if any visible losses... I too question my alcoholism. Have a sponsor and try to get to 3 meetings per week. My goal is to not drink while I am questioning... It is not easy. I too cannot relate to much of what I hear in the rooms. But I can relate to some of it... and my drinking did bother me and it did make me feel guilty and it did block my relationship with God. I believe it was slowly sucking the life out of me... dampening who i am and who I can become.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I cant answer this myself. I have realized that I sometimes (not nearly often enough though) open up notepad to chronicle my true feelings while drunk in an attempt that it will remind/influence/convince me when Im sober.

Its SO much easier to understand/empathize/articulate whats its like in the throes-which I think is part of what makes it so hard to recover perhaps- that selective memory. I will at least continue on with that project from time to time, and perhaps post it here if I find sobriety.

I remember one day feeling so desperate that I was determined to type up an entire and extensive expose (expressing all my real feelings and the emotions/motivations behind the behavior and very philosophical) but for some reason I didnt (probably drank more and forgot). I should proceed with that one night though and share it. I do believe I can be rather articulate.

Ive finally got somewhat a break from work after a ridiculous deployment, and all that. I would be humiliated to admit to anyone the true nature of what Ive been doing during this time (I havent harmed anyone, besides myself perhaps). Its even embarrassing admitting it to myself. Rather humiliating really.

As Ive said before, I think helping (preferably being able to inspire) others may be my true path to sobriety if I must ultimately take that path. Im hoping it wouldnt be due to escaping negative emotions, but to pursue positive ones (as Tony Robbins, probably rightly, said two underlying motivations in human behavior is to seek pleasure and to avoid pain). It would behoove me (and everyone) to perhaps focus on the positive.

Sorry to ramble. If I do finally compose that thing I alluded to earlier, I will post it here as I think it would contain some value.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You write about drinking alcohol to change the way you feel.

Part of alcoholism as I understand it, is that it is our solution when we are not happy about our life.

Our reaction to life is to drink.

You talk about having history with binge drinking. I think that means drinking way too much, right?

There is always the intention...have a couple with my friends, put myself out there...
then...
What really happens...

and finally...who was harmed...yourself, others?

What really happens for you when you drink.

Even though we may be able to moderate...there always comes the time when we don't.

What concerns me most is that when you write about making the zero drinking declaration, you also write about not being able to keep the promise to yourself.

This is a real earmark of an alcoholic.

About your AA big book reference:

The quote is about getting a full knowledge of your condition.

If anyone questions that they are alcoholic...this test is to get a full knowledge of your condition.

It is not the AA definer for whether or not you are an alcoholic, in my opinion.

If you are open to the idea...read the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

I hope it all works out for you.

You sound incredibly smart. I am proud of you for what you have accomplished with your education.

Be well.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

An alcoholic can not drink. But once an alcoholic picks up a drink he/she is unable to control it, has no control over the quantity or his/her reaction. And, it's what happens to someone when they get drunk.

You don't have to drink today. Always remember that.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?

To find out how you did, count your "YES" answers.

If you answered YES to one of the questions, this is a warning that you may be an alcoholic.

If you answered YES to any two, there's a good chance that you are an alcoholic.

If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

Source: The Twenty Questions: Are You An Alcoholic? was developed in the 1930s by Dr. Robert Seliger, Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins Hospital, and intended as a self-assessment questionnaire to determine the extent of one's alcohol abuse

16 out of 20.

Best score I got for anything.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
No. I lose time due to playing games, internet etc.
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
No. I'm a loner
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
No. I used to drink because I enjoy it.
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
No. Others are not aware of my drinking habit.
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
Yes. Who hasn't ?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
No.
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
No. If by lower companions you mean people who don't have education as I do ? But then they are humans too, what is wrong with hanging out with lower companions. No to inferior environment, whatever that is.
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
No.
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
No. In fact, I think drink more, earn more.
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
No. May be at certain day, weekends, holidays.
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
No.
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
No. Internet is the reason I'm losing sleep.
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
No. Not when I'm not drinking.
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
No. I've done worse when I was not drinking.
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
Yes/Sometimes. It depends. It definitely helps to take your mind off of something. Less stressed.
16. Do you drink alone?
Yes. Only when I moved to this new country where I don't have friends.
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
Yes. Once, recently.
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
No.
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
No. Again, this is the same question. I drink because I enjoy it. Same as No. 3.
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
Yes. An ER visit due to stupid drinking.

5 out of 20. (2 Yes due to the same incident )
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

HIGHBOTTOM57....

Glad to see you here again and bringing good news too...
Well done on your sober time...forward is always the correct direction!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm alcoholic, 43 and a wife and mother of a daughter 16 and son 14. I feel guilty most of the time. I know I need to stop, for my own health and lifestyle and for my children's sake. I drink because I physically and emotionally need to. Because it helps me to express my feelings, because I am lonely, and bored. Because I am selfish. Because I am socially anxious and nervous when I'm sober. To all the kids of alcoholic parents, I beseech you not to take it personally. You are deeply loved, we just aren't able to readily show it. And we are so sorry.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpikyMis View Post
I'm alcoholic, 43 and a wife and mother of a daughter 16 and son 14. I feel guilty most of the time. I know I need to stop, for my own health and lifestyle and for my children's sake. I drink because I physically and emotionally need to. Because it helps me to express my feelings, because I am lonely, and bored. Because I am selfish. Because I am socially anxious and nervous when I'm sober. To all the kids of alcoholic parents, I beseech you not to take it personally. You are deeply loved, we just aren't able to readily show it. And we are so sorry.
Hello

We think we need to drink but we don't.

Welcome and I encourage you to believe that if others have found the way out, then you can too.

You listed many reasons why you drink...

I learned that the reason that I drink is because I have untreated alcoholism.

Alcohol was my solution.

You can find a new solution.

If you are not sure how....lean on sober women of AA for support to show you the way.

You can pm me anytime for help.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

At the beginning of your post you say you had two beers for courage. Sounds like alcoholism to me. Using alcohol to manage your emotions: fear, anger, loneliness etc. is alcoholism. I did it. I am an alcoholic. Truth is best. You can beat this. First you have to admit it.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I don't think it has to be complicated. I was dependent on alcohol, and I was getting in deeper and deeper and the slope was getting steeper with every drink. Is this you?

The question of what we should do in this situation doesn't matter in the least. The question is - what will you do? What will you choose?

A refusal or postponement to answer is still an answer, and it is not the right one.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol...still free from the hooch, but eating cookies like crazy. Need to slow down or buy Nabisco stocks. Any tricks to curb the sweet tooth? Magic vitamin pill?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

eating fruit is probably a healthier alternative...still sugars but simpler ones

D
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Thanks Carol...still free from the hooch, but eating cookies like crazy. Need to slow down or buy Nabisco stocks. Any tricks to curb the sweet tooth? Magic vitamin pill?
I had to quit cold turkey. 7 weeks now. No magic vitamin pill, unfortunately.

Fruit works wonders, as Dee mentioned.