Notices

Little Victories

Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little Victories

Two good things to report:

1) I went into the C-store yesterday and did NOT buy beer or wine! It was weird, my feet almost started walking toward that cooler (force of habit) but I corrected course, got my pop and left!

2) One of my summer jobs is to take care of a rental property. The former tenant has been out for over a month, but has not retrieved all of her belongings yet. I was out there yesterday to do some maintenance, and when I went in to the house, not only had she not picked up her clothes, boxes, dishes, etc... but there were 3 open bottles of booze on the counter and one full bottle of wine. I was all by myself, had no where to go for hours. Easily could have served myself plenty of the booze, could have nicked that whole bottle of wine without notice (if she's left it there for a month, it's not like she's all that concerned about it, I figured). But I NEVER TOUCHED ANY OF IT. When I left I locked the door and drove away. Emailed her this am to pick up the rest of the stuff, dumpster is arriving next week and everything will be tossed.

What are your little victories today?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on you! This morning I'm up earlier than I've been in years. I've had oodles of energy and been cleaning out every drawer, cupboard and closet and put it to the curb. It feels so freeing to let go of unwanted burdens and baggage. That goes for my insides too. Two months on the 21st and I'm changing so much that some days I don't even recognise myself!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm pleased that both of you are doing so well...

I guess remembering that I had a service job here...and got up
at 3 a.m. to do the AA Daily Readings was todays small victory
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely fantastic - Way to go - It's always so gratifying to be able to walk away from situations like this, knowing you did the right thing.

Just be careful
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

I never understood how alcoholics could have such difficulty with stuff like that untill i became one. I'd like to stop in the old beer store and say hello to the owner catch up etc.. But i know I just cant walk into a place like that especially that place. I'm sure i was just another customer to him anyhow. I did make the mistake of going into a bar to pickup an order chicken wings. I was twitchen watchen all that booze. and it really makes me wonder if i could sit down and eat dinner in a place like that again. I'm sure i have the will power but i cant think i'd like sitting in that much. Nothing wrong with folks having a good ole time. But I dunno that i'd enjoy subjecting myself to that even if i can easily say no.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome work
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't mimimize getting through a day without drinking. That's not a "small victory", you just won the world cup today!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! My victory today was getting the house ready for the in laws visit. I usually panic and drink and usually am HO when they arrive. This time I had it all under control and even had time to work on a project for a art class I'm taking. Feels pretty good!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SamanthaIam View Post
Two good things to report:

1) I went into the C-store yesterday and did NOT buy beer or wine! It was weird, my feet almost started walking toward that cooler (force of habit) but I corrected course, got my pop and left!

2) One of my summer jobs is to take care of a rental property. The former tenant has been out for over a month, but has not retrieved all of her belongings yet. I was out there yesterday to do some maintenance, and when I went in to the house, not only had she not picked up her clothes, boxes, dishes, etc... but there were 3 open bottles of booze on the counter and one full bottle of wine. I was all by myself, had no where to go for hours. Easily could have served myself plenty of the booze, could have nicked that whole bottle of wine without notice (if she's left it there for a month, it's not like she's all that concerned about it, I figured). But I NEVER TOUCHED ANY OF IT. When I left I locked the door and drove away. Emailed her this am to pick up the rest of the stuff, dumpster is arriving next week and everything will be tossed.

What are your little victories today?
By the way, Sam, this is a awesome thread. I'm very happy for you. It's hard to resist temptation when you know that no one is looking-but you are all the better for it! We can do this!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to get that feeling everyday when I walked into the C-store after work.
I don't remember just how long it was I had been sober (probably 4 or 5 months). But I was a few miles down the road when i realized I had walked into the C-store. Bought a bottle of pop and a bag of chips,and left without even looking or giving a thought to the beer section. To me that was a HUGE victory.
All the little victories add up to HUGE victories. But I am still only one drink away from getting beat.
Fred
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Excellent reminder Fred/NevertheLess -- that we're so close to going back to the terrible nightmare of drinking. One drink is all it takes for me.

Yesterday's little victory: I went for a hike during what is my husband's Friday night drinking time with his buddies. I used to just stay home and drink alone while he was out, and I'd go through at least 2 bottles of wine by myself. Then when he got home of course we'd get into a drunken (asinine) argument.

So instead I hiked to the top of an amazing place to look out over our pretty valley.

yippee!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Congrats Sam, well done and thanks for the thread I've made it 17 days without a drink, which really isn't that long. 3 days ago my grandmother passed away suddenly and instead of turning to the bottle, I was able to morn her death sober. For me thats a huge victory but like Fred said, I am just one deadly drink away and I cant forget that.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I caught up on the happenings here at SR after a break

D
Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Another little victory to add....I went to the store today to buy a bottle of wine for my step dad for fathers day, and then I managed to get it home and give it to him before I had any temptation to open it. It felt so good to be able to buy booze for someone and not touch it.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wow! awesome, everyone!

Mysterious, I'm so happy that you could manage that. I know I couldn't -- not yet, anyway.

My victory today was going into WAlMart and not even walking down the beer/wine aisle. This becomes a big WIN when you consider that my husband isn't home, and again, no one would have known... ha... until later, right?