Notices

Extreme Anxiety Since Last Drink----

Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Extreme Anxiety Since Last Drink----

It's been a couple of days & my anxiety is still through the roof. Even with extra doses of my anti-anxiety meds I'm still having problems. I have a psych Dr. appoitment but thats still a week away. I'm almost out of meds & that's when I will be tempted to hit the bottle again. I can't go to the hospital since they will think I'm just a drunk seeking a buzz. It hurts to know that I did this to myself. It's scary that this was only one night of drinking. I blacked out but have a $50 bar tab of my credit card. I also woke up to many bruises from falling down drunk. It's like my whole attitude & outlook on life changes when I drink. It's a very dark & lonely place.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's a very dark & lonely place.

Yes, it is. BUT, you are now on the other side of that dark and lonely place. You just need to keep putting on foot in front of the other and continue doing the next right thing. That would be to NOT drink, no matter what!

You can do this and we are here to help you in any way we can. You never have to go through this again, so hang around here and let us support you in this journey.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way for
clairty... comfort amd peace.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks carol. I'm just not going to drink tonite. Hopefully, tomorrow also.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

It may be scarey, but you have to know that drinking isn't going to fix any of your problems. In fact it will just multiply them. Go to a meeting, call somebody, call your sponsor, do whatever you have to do, not to pick up that drink.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Justfor1)) Try to eat comfort foods and get lots of rest. I use to have horrible anxiety after drinking heavily. It will get better. Try not to think about the blackout. What's done is done and you don't ever have to live like that again. You didn't choose to have this unforgiving disease so don't be too hard on yourself. I think it is great that you come here and seek guidance.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

can you call your psych guy J41?
thats what I would do?

D
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

theres a couple good threads in the anxiety disorders section. I'm not sure what to say. its something i suffer from as well. its really bad. Its gotten better for me but it was the main reason i quit too. It was downright intense. Like i would have loved to taken a sledge hammer and smashed wtvr i could till i could no longer lift it. Anything if it would have released that. If i had to say then it was 10 being the worst. It was 10 all day long nonstop with panic attacks as flair ups. Now a year later its probably a 4 or 5 with an 8 or 9 for a few hours now and then. Not totaly gone but it is getting better. I read the other day it can take 2 years to go away. I thought OMG NO. My wife says least your halfway there. I had a doc say it might still be with drawels. This late in the game i doubt it but i was drunk or intoxicated just about every day past 14 years old for well over a decade.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try a hot bubble bath and then have some chamomile tea with honey. The Sleepy Time kind.

I am sorry you are feeling anxious. I know EXACTLY how you feel and it sucks. The further you get from the drink, the better. Part of it for me is KNOWING that I am not supposed to drink, that I am an alcoholic. The guilt kills me.

Watch a movie, read, post here.

It is gonna pass. DON'T DRINK no matter what!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

All the usual things you read about didnt really work for me. But i did them anyway. Sometimes the simple act of knowing your trying can help just enough to hang in there. I got into a routine with herbal teas. Now at night i sit around and make various herbal tea concoctions. Its a placebo for me but the little ritual / routine has helped.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The feeling that your nervous system is screaming for something to make it stop hurt..
And its only a few swigs away..
Yeah.. that is very hard..
l know..
Wish you strength..
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In love with life.

I suffer from terrible anxiety and the last bender I went on was by far the scariest (they just keep getting worse and worse). I didn't have any of my anti-anxiety meds either and had to white knuckle it. My heart felt like it was going to explode. The only thing I had access to was water, so I drenched my tshirt in it and forced myself to freeze and shiver. For some weird reason the cold I felt on my chest actually helped me. Try putting a ice pack on your chest and actually feel your heart beat, it might help slow it down a bit.

It will go away eventually, just try not to worry and think happy thoughts. Easier said than done, I know
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

"The feeling that your nervous system is screaming for something to make it stop hurt.."

Yep thats a good description. I still wonder if i've permanently damaged my central nervous system. Its like somone ringing a loud bell through it. Like its being PINGED and yes white nuckled I'd want to stretch out my arms and clench my fists and scream some times.

It gets better. I'm still not perfect but it gets better push through it!.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Justfor1
the anxiety is a killer- I have had mild anxiety in the past but nothing prepared me for the massive anxiety and night terrors post stopping drinking- the terrors went on for a few weeks the severe anxiety is still with me but lessening (10 weeks) i've been prescribed an AD which may be helping and also trying "mindfulness" which i think is potentially useful for low grade anxiety but (in my hands) when it comes to severe attacks I still feel defenseless... I found the benzos maybe took the edge off but did not stop them and given that they left me so spaced and confused I decided to use them only when extremely distressed...
I use herbal tea/ mineral bubble baths/ relation techniques (this i find almost impossible) but i guess you should try whatever you can and hopefully find something that works for you- or even just allevaites things a bit. Are you sleeping okay? insomnia will potentially worsen your mental state and may be associated with anxiety and depression so maybe this needs to be looked at as well7
I wish you all the best - hang on !!
DD
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You'll be alright Buddy. Just hang in there for a few days and you will start to settle back into a sober frame of mind.