Notices

SSRIs and cravings

Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had been sober for a number of years when I began a lovely transitional phase of my life known as menopause. I was depressed, irritable and anxious. My doctor prescribed Lexapro to help me thru this transition time.

After the initial adjustment period, my depression lifted, I was relaxed and mellow.

I was so relaxed and mellow, I thought, I could have a drink or two. I had this "under control". It was as if I forgot I was an alcoholic.

Fast forward to a few short months of insanity. My drinking took off with a vengence. The Lexapro combined with drinking, created a truly dangerous combination.

I stopped drinking once again, and got back into the rooms of AA. As I worked my program, I spoke with my doctor about weaning off of the Lexapro. The Lexapro had
kept me relaxed, etc. but, I didn't feel any real emotions I weaned off the of the Lexapro and worked the steps.

Today, even though I am a bit hormonally challenged, I am no longer on Lexapro, and I am no longer depressed, anxious or unhappy.

This is just my experience, but, in talking with other alcoholics, I am concerned that our doctors are not aware of the possible problems the anti-depressants, etc. may cause we alcoholics
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post
I found out something recently that I'd never considered and that is a possible connection between antidepressants and cravings for alcohol and/or sugar.

I've been taking antidepressants for several years, starting with Cymbalta and shortly thereafter moving to Celexa as the Cymbalta gave me pretty bad insomnia.

About the time I started on the Celexa I also began to drink more. I'd lost my job at the time and thought that was the reason but the drinking continued although I did get another, although crappy, job.

I experienced cravings for alcohol that I'd never experienced before although being a social drinker for most of my life. Went to meetings which never helped as the 12 step programs always seemed like an unlikely answer to the problem.

Recently my wife suggested that I look into changing to a different antidepressant so I began researching Celexa only to find that it, and it's little brother Lexapro are considered to be the most effective of all the meds.

However, in doing the research, I came across more than a few forum posts from people who said that they went from light or moderate drinkers to heavy drinkers after starting on the medication.

I then Googled ssri+alcohol cravings and was astonished at the number of posts, articles, etc. which seemed to support the idea. The working hypothesis is that, over time, the medication can cause a drop in blood sugar levels. For those of us who drink, this can cause an overwhelming compulsion to drink and for those with a sweet tooth, an overwhelming compulsion for sugar. This could go a long ways towards explaining the weight gains that many people experience while on these medications.

I decided to go cold turkey off my Celexa and, although I haven't stopped drinking completely, the overwhelming urge and compulsion that I felt to do so have disappeared.

Not suggesting this is the answer for everyone but it might be worth looking into further.

TM
It doesnt take rocket science to realize an anti depressant can make you crave a depressant !!! to even out !

Anti-depressant= stimulant anti-stimulant= depressant

psychiatry hurt me also. I wish they would leave us alone and especialy the newcomer with there bogus labels and drugs just days after there last drunk !!!

Most psychiatric drugs cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision....

Psych drugs never did anything but make me want to drink.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't think there's a connection. I was on anti-depressants while I drank and on other ones throughout the 20 years I've been sober. It's because we're alcoholics that we crave booze.