Notices

You Guys Are Right...Another Slip

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

You Guys Are Right...Another Slip

I'm going to be honest with my group tonite. I had a horrible slip yesterday again. It's like the "monster" is on my back again. I hate it. I hate the feeling of needing alcohol to cope with life. I know these slips will eventually lead me back to everyday drinking/drugging. I'm not afraid of dieing in my addiction, I'm more afraid of living in the hell of addiction for another 10-20 years.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sorry you're feeling down - but glad you're talking about it. Once I gave up the idea that booze was going to make me feel better (about anything) I was able to stop reaching for it every time I had a problem. It took me many years to finally get it, though.

It sounds like you've learned from the slip. You know there's nothing but misery when you pick up. Just keep moving along - you can do this.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think it might be helpful for you to post exactly what you were thinking when you decided to drink again. Often it is our thinking that is more of a problem than anything. Perhaps you might get some help with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good idea....
Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you drank again - but thats the J41 I've been waiting and wanting to hear

great decision, mate

D
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you JF1. Let's just both get back on the right track and learn from our mistakes. Remind ourselves what we did wrong the last time. No sense in dwelling on what is done, just go back to what worked for us and stick to it.

I literally may write out a list and keep it in my pocket, I will take it out and look at it when I get weak.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

which recovery programs/literature have you consulted?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had 19 sobriety dates the last two years of the madness,I kept coming back to the rooms of AA until the miracle happened.Don't ever give up,you'll make it.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm going to be honest with my group tonite. I had a horrible slip yesterday again. It's like the "monster" is on my back again. I hate it. I hate the feeling of needing alcohol to cope with life. I know these slips will eventually lead me back to everyday drinking/drugging. I'm not afraid of dieing in my addiction, I'm more afraid of living in the hell of addiction for another 10-20 years.

Now that is HONESTY! :ghug3
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

We've been there, that is why we suggested otherwise. It's not about being right today, it's about trying to help someone else. We can't have experiences for you, but we can support your decisions or let you know how we feel (for me, based on my own experience).

Are you really ready to stay stopped yet? or Do you want to live in that vicious cycle?

Hugs,
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are about ready to surrender... to commit to AA..

You can get off the garbage truck at any time.
I had to get down on my knees and truly ask God to help me. Then I got up and went to a meeting.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The truth will set you free Justfor1...That's a beautiful thing.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I had to get down on my knees and truly ask God to help me. R
Thats what I had to do.
At least you realize that if you continue to slip, you are going to be going thru hell with the hangovers and shakes.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fall 7 times, get up 8 times.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by indakut View Post
Thats what I had to do.
At least you realize that if you continue to slip, you are going to be going thru hell with the hangovers and shakes.
I know it. When I get on to the 2-4day benders then I have to have a hospital type detox. It's going to be real nice weather here the next few day & I don't wish to spend it in the hospital. With doctors, nurses telling me I'm going to die if I don't stop. Which never scares me into sobriety.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Justfor1, How did it go with the group last night?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Justfor1, you're so right that addiction is hell. Just look at the insane ways we behave ... what we do to get drink, to over drink, to fight with people who don't understand why the hell we are acting so different when drunk, to struggle with the shame and guilt and then the lying. Not to mention the awful physical effects, which we pretend aren't there so we can appear normal. All to "protect" our drinking.

It is a monster, you're right about that. But you're smarter than the monster. And you really don't have to protect that monster anymore.

Just my $.02. I am still addressing this crap in my own life. But it sure helps to be able to talk to you and other SR people who get it.

very best wishes.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Justfor1...Just curious if you ever admitted to the group about your slip? If so...How'd it go?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you for everyones concern. No I haven't admitted it yet to my group. I'm sure there will be a few members that are happy that I slipped.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you for everyones concern. No I haven't admitted it yet to my group. I'm sure there will be a few members that are happy that I slipped.

Why do you care about a couple of stupid people? You need to get over this "status" thing in your group. It is pretty silly.