Notices

My quick story....

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My quick story....

I write on several of the forums in soberRecovery but I have never posted my real story, you know, the one about being an alcoholic...I am sober for many years now but did it thru AA and 12 step meetings, treatment for 2 weeks, and going on AA commitments and teaming up with others that were sober and ditching the drinking friends, the bartending job and moving out of my situation with a drunk husband. I totally listened to all the advise given by those who had some clean/sober time... I had to change it all, that was back in the eighties. Thinking back when I was in my Uhaul driving away from my house with everything i owned heading towards my real life. what a wonderful feeling that was, I was moving from a beautiful house with a pool, to a crummy buggy basement apartment but I didn't care. I felt a sense of freedom that I've never felt again in my life, true freedom from the terrible grip of depression, obsession, daily self loathing and the list goes on...I forget to have gratitude sometimes, I have had alot of tough times even in sobriety over the past few years but if I had've kept drinking I know my life experiences would have been much worse, I probably wouldn't have even made it this far. Life goes on, I always believed it was a choice to drink and to not drink, I don't know what happened to me the night I went to my first AA meeting but something clicked, I was so desperate, empty, numb, I didn't care about anyone or anything at that time. Awful what this disease does to so many. I did remarry and had many years of true happiness with someone else in recovery but that person chose to pick back up and died just a year ago now, I can't tell you how painful that all is but i didn't pick up a drink. I don't know how I got thru it, maybe a higher power has more plans for me, I hurt but am okay, I wish everyone here reading this today just one day of sobriety, to breath, try to feel that serenity and freedom. i wish I could pass it on - I think we all must pass it on to keep what we have. blessings,m
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for sharing your story. It touched me.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story! God bless you
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for sharing that Mavis - great post

D
Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mavis...good to see you shareing your strong recovery journey with us
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Mavis1 View Post
I hurt but am okay, I wish everyone here reading this today just one day of sobriety, to breath, try to feel that serenity and freedom. i wish I could pass it on - I think we all must pass it on to keep what we have. blessings,m
Thanks for sharing your story Mavis.

Its my story sans the 12 steps of AA. I have had to go through dicey emotions, robbery, scandalous dealing with other AA member, ratassing from family, friends, lock down on BS charges. Lawdy oh mighty it was hellish.

Blessed be there is another side to see. Oh Gawd its good to not to be there again..yessum good in deed.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing your life with us, I too feel the freedom and serenity that comes with the conscious breath.:ghug3