Notices

cigarettes=lifesaver

Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When you are ready, you will quit smoking. I agree with the others that it can be harder than quitting alcohol - it sure was for me. But I smoked 2 packs a day for years and managed to quit and haven't gone back for 7 years now. It can be done, but like quitting alcohol, you have to be ready.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

This confuses me. My sponsor has 25 year sober and after a breakup in January she picked up smoking again because she "needed something". That made me feel uneasy. Yet, had she never stopped smoking I wouldn't feel as confused- it's the fact that she started back up.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Normal relapse behavior and denial to do it for an addict to any drug.

I quit 20 years ago and could not stop again until I was in detox with medical help in the hospital. I figured why not detox from both and quir both at once. Out of the hospital and trying to detox without librium and whatever else they use to clear my system safely, I would not have succeeded at either or maybe just alcohol. Smokes were always tougher for. That's why I won't make the just one smoke mistake again. I only quit drinking once almost two years ago. I learned from my relapse after not smoking for 18 months 20 years ago that I won't do that again with either. No relapses for me.
YMMV
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Wish me luck. I intend to give up my cigar habit anyday now.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepfinding2 View Post
Odd, but good. I'm a little concerned you're trading one potentially deadly substance for an even deadlier one. Have you tried looking into quit plan?
I agree don't let trading one addition for another fool you. That is great and congratulations on making it 13 days sober (or hopefully 15 now) but the cigarettes are actually far worse for you than the booze is.
If it is a temporary "stepping stone" to keep you sober and it works, then it should be fine, but trying to kick both while still in the early days is still the best plan of action like many have stated.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Undrunk since Jan28 2012

Oh, man, Hendrix! So glad I found your post right now, I don't think I could have made it this far without my smokes, and I was thinking I was insane! I also plan on quitting smoking, but for right now, smoking allows me something to do without demolishing my life, kids, marriage, etc.

Congrats on not drinking, man, and thank you for a dose of support, even if you didn't realize you were doing so.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Both aren't real good for you. Cigarettes are what killed Bill W. It always stuck me as kind of odd reading about him speaking to addiction while he chain smoked. Hello?? Anyone in there?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat View Post
Obviously smoking is deadly too....but I really think cigs help keep me sober.

I've made it 13 days without a drop and my life's much more manageable now.

I can see why they say you are becoming sane when you stop getting drunk.
Stop lying to yourself. Your ability to stay away from booze has no relation to your smoking (or lack thereof). If you like smoking and want to continue then just say that, but don't claim that smoking somehow enhances your ability to stay sober.

Its like saying, "God I couldn't imagine quitTing alcohol without this cocaine". And yes I know there are obvious diferences but the premise is the same.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EricL View Post
Stop lying to yourself. Your ability to stay away from booze has no relation to your smoking (or lack thereof). If you like smoking and want to continue then just say that, but don't claim that smoking somehow enhances your ability to stay sober.

Its like saying, "God I couldn't imagine quitTing alcohol without this cocaine". And yes I know there are obvious diferences but the premise is the same.
You're totally right! I changed my mind and already thought what you just said straight after I made this thread.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For me, I would say that smoking does help with the anxiety I'm experiencing from putting the bottle down. I'm in early sobriety (25 days), and smoking definitely helps to keep my hands busy and my mind off of drinking.
I would like to quit smoking but my sponsor says to master one addiction at a time, so I'm going to listen to what I'm told to do since after all...my best thinking got me here.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Now that I think about it and read all these great responses I believe that it would be better to stop smoking, if you're quitting alcohol already. Get all the hell out of the way at once. That way cigs won't be a part of recovery from alcohol. I am soooooooooooo glad I don't have to quit smoking again!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab, they had a schedule for smoke brakes.

AND, the staff would come at 7am and knock on doors for anyone who needs a smoke before the day starts!

I thought that to be very strange. It's one thing, being allowed to smoke during the day, but to actually wake you up for a smoke brake? WOW!

So, I asked why in the world would they do that, and in a rehab of all places. The answer was that it's too much for some people to go through rehab from one addiction and if they don't get their ciggie before a meeting, they can't concentrate and are more edgy so they said "one habit at a time".

I'm a smoker, but hell, if I was going to get out of bed just to have a cigarette.