Notices

What's your hobby?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's your hobby?

I am so excruciating bored sometimes that I find the bottom of the bottle. Can anyone share their thoughts on their hobby or passion with me? I'm running out of ideas.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SR

Vid games (god games really)

multitasking!

books and movies on speicality topics, taken bundles at a time (like, today is a good day to learn all about the iron age!)

trying to get back into exercising ((sigh)) maybe when my jail stint is done i will be able to focus on that....

politics and current events; are you worried so much about the world you haven't brushed your teeth in 3 weeks? No? Then read the Drudge Report it will reach right out and grab ya~~~~!

Stalking madonna (just kidding)

playing with my dog. he's great. I should learn how to give him a haircut; that stuff is getting expensive!~~

online learning for free. There's a lot of useful classes on line that are free free free. check your state website for its job page and training info, and you will find some. Also, did you know that the BBC has some resources for learning languages? Wee Wee, zay do!

Some folks are into HAM radios, since you can use the computer for morse code the licence is easier to get. I myself plan on leaving the house someday.

When in doubt, order a pizza. Spend lots of time choosing what you want on it however. Pizza making is an art, ya know.

Nothing keeps money in yur pocket like WINDOW shopping~~~~! Just saying~~~~

OK i gotta go to bed. Hope I came up with a few good ideas anyway.....

Goodnight buddy~~!

Oh yea don't forget music on youtube. You can get free software to record what you hear as an MP3 and then make a CD for yourself.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I've really gotten into reading up on (and doing) handyman projects, from electrical to carpentry to pest control. I've done a lot of work around the house, mapping our electrical circuits, ran new circuits and outlets, installed an in-wall a\c unit, new light fixtures in some rooms\attic, set up a transfer switch for gas generator when the power goes out, new siding along the bottom of our garage, I'm renovating an old 16'x8' shed... I already had many tools, but I have bought some really useful ones since getting sober.
Hang out at the Library, spend some time looking through a bunch of the how-to or DIY books and maybe one of them will speak to you louder than that dirty old addictive voice.
Best wishes, I cannot believe my fear of the 'boredom' kept me from living the way I do now.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pogo.com is fun when I am really bored at home. I love going to the dog park!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Photography, Music, Reading ( spirituality and philosophy- anything that inspires thought). Once while she was bored, my wife took all the light switch covers and painted them up. They look very cool. Volunteer in your community
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My hobby is to be of service, to my country, my regiment, and my fellowship

'Service not self' ...a motto to live by
Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

boy, thatsa toughy to answer. being a recovering addicted alcoholic i can go to extremes in things i take up. i have quite a few hobbies or past times now. i used to get into woodworking some when i was drinkin, but never really finished any project. got sober and now i have a pretty decent woodworking shop and i build just about anything but chairs. got into auto body work and love painting cars for friends( dont charge em a dime as long as they but the materials). also love to detail vehicles for friends, too. pretty much, my imaginaion has ben fired and i do whatever interests me.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I personally turn to graphic design programs like Photoshop or illustrator. Just the time it takes to learn the program is a hobby in itself. But it's really a great release to just focus and noodle around on there with family photos or doing new art pieces.

But I've always wanted to get into making hobo nickels. It seems like a lot of fun. I could just be a geek though. lol.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is a hobo nickels?

Service ... i think i want to try volunteering.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Girls usually don't like this sort of thing for some reason. But radio controlled airplanes and helicopters are my hobby. Building them is as much fun as flying them.
I am in no way comparing my skills to this guy's.
He is the best of the best.
Spartan Excutive,... G. McIntosh - RC Groups
Fred
Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluelagune View Post
What is a hobo nickels?

Service ... i think i want to try volunteering.
After reading this thread I googled hobo nickels~super cool! Check it out!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I bought some watercolor pencils and paper (thick special wc paper) and started doing youtube tutorials.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hike, I kayak, I go birdwatching, identify plants in the woods, garden, paint water color landscapes, read, cook...sky is the limit when sober. Mountain tops are awesome, spiritual and healthy activity. good luck. something will click, no such thing as boredom
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

hobbies bored me. after all its why i had drinking and substance abuse that was a hobby all by itself . Lucky for me i got into gardening prior to quiting and discovered a whole new world. It bled over into researching natural remedies and organic techinques and basicly consumed me in so many ways. And i feel really great that i have a hobby that in my mind is more productive for me then building model airplanes or something even tho some of the tasks that need to be done to the rest of the world see so stupid. Whats so exciting about chicken poop? most would thing but to me its like WOOOHOOOO more chicken poop!!!. keeps me really happy.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Honestly my hobbies now are all revolving around catching myself up to where I should be in life. I'm studying to get professional designations to increase my salary, home improvement all around my house, getting in shape, eating right, enjoying the outdoors (boating, hiking, walking, biking) ...just basically things I never did during the years I drank. "big boy" tasks as a friend puts it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Online poker/Live Poker.

Discussing hands on Poker forums.

Flight Sim on my Nasa powered Pc ( well its pretty powerful)

Running.

Junk food, when I can eat it without Mrs catching me, lol.

Reading anything relating to London History.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hunt. I can always shoot a bow or a rifle after work. I also do a lot of research and paint duck decoys, repair my boats, blinds, etc. During summer I do 3-d archery competitions and scout for upcoming hunts. Then late August till January season is in.

I also go to the local rock climb gym a lot and there is a great active community there.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey walktheline1.....happy to hear from another hunter. My entire family ( except for me) hunts. My son competes in duck calling competitions in and out of state......was actually the youngest ever to win the state championship. ( but I digress )

To stay on topic.... My passions are: reading, yoga, sailing, and all things DOGS! ( love 'em). Also gardening and fishing ( both of which I'm no good at).
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

I like to go for walks in the woods with my guns as well. It happens to be in season even nothing like hiking in the woods first day of deer season with your guns. I sure do like hiking and walking in those woods those few days a year.