Notices

A Sober Recluse

Old 06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I too am a loner by nature. I enjoy my own company and other people exhaust me emotionally a lot of times.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wanted to say "hi". You are one of my first friends here. Thanks. It won't let me do the messages yet. Says I have to have 25 posts first. Look forward to talking to you. BTW I love that movie Waiting to Exhale. aahhhh
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Not sure what I think, I dont have close friends, dont need them, they just want you to help them move or something...

"I ENJOY MY OWN COMPANY.
You're always alone, but you're only lonely if you don't like the person you're alone with." ~ Wayne Dyer
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to go from isolation to just being comfortable being alone. Its normal.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are others like us in recovery, the theme of this thread seems to be the lack of intelligent meaningful conversation that can lead to friendships at these meetings. My ability to "small talk" is very limited and I cant stand or will say hate doing it. I am trying to goto the same meetings long enough to get past that part of it.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Love this post!
My friends have complained that I am a loner since becoming sober. These are the same people who complained when I was a drunk hot mess... My take on it is I am comfortable with myself being sober and not hanging out anymore. Take it or leave it because I am happy with myself.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

i'm a loner but I still like to get out and do stuff (i.e. go to concerts, workout, hike, etc.), sometimes I'll hang with other people but mostly I just do stuff by myself. i want to work on this and be more social but most of my older friends and the new people I meet when i'm out drink/use so I can't really kick it with them. i suppose i could try to be more social at meetings and maybe make friends that way but i don't usually see too many people there that are my age (i'm 27).
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Absolutely isolation is part of addiction. With 20.5 years it's still a big problem for me, I could stay in my home for days and not even notice it. My problem with it is I live in my own head, which isn't healthy (look where my best thinking got me -- drunk). So I push myself to get out and I'm ALWAYS glad I did. I go to meetings and don't give myself the option of choosing (because I'd never go).
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have always had the belief that 90 percent of the people out there are a**holes and just cause problems. This is why I am a loner. Maybe its just me, but almost everyone in my life (including myself) has lied to me, manipulated me, taken advantage of me, or hurt me in one way or another. I'm not dismissing the fact that I chose these unhealthy relationships and brought some of this on myself, but then again you cant choose your family. I almost lost all faith in humanity until I learned about Buddhism. Hopefully my perception of people can change as I remain sober and become healthy, but I have A LOT of recovering to do.