Notices

Non alcoholic beer

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer

So it's been real hot out so I got myself a six pack of non alcoholic beer. I really love the taste of beer but ya-not so much the other bad stuff that goes along with having lets say 10-14! Anyway, people have different opinions on consuming this type of drink. Does drinking NA beer just set you up for relapse or is it ok to have one or two for the taste of it? I don't want to relapse but kinda considered my ice cold bottle a little treat today. Am I setting myself up? Sure doesn't feel like it but just wondering if any of you had an opinion or experiences with the NA beer?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some think yes,but I personally drink NA beer and it does not cause me to crave a real beer. Totally depends on you and your body though!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I asked this question in the first month or two of my attendance in AA to a fellow.

His answer was "Are you an alcoholic"

I said - "Yes". His response. "Well it says it right there on the label it's NON ALCOHOLIC beer, it's for NON ALCOHOLICS".

He then followed up with a story about him and Xanax and O'Douls. I stopped. When I stopped I noticed my body responded fondly to no longer drinking it - a less irritable feeling, as did my mind - face it, I was drinking this stuff but it didn't taste like good beer and it didn't make me feel like real beer did. In short, I didn't realize the torture I was putting myself through until I stopped. When I asked him if I had to pick up a 24 hour chip, he said "Not if you stop drinking O'Douls". Not sure what he meant by that. I suspect he meant, it would lead me back to drinking the real stuff.

That's my non alcoholic beer experience. Oh, and I'd drink all six sometimes.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the outside like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I stay away from it, made me crave the real stuff hard enough to relapse early last year. Maybe I was destined to fail on that attempt (12 days), but I think it's asking too much of some of our strength to drink something that tastes just like the thing which has destroyed our lives...
I like the new Dr. Pepper Ten on a hot day or iced sweet tea. Just finished a hard project around the house (re-siding garage) and I was amazed how I didn't feel the need to 'reward' myself with the beer.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If I delibertly drank anything with alcohol....I'd be compelled to
re-start my sobriety...

I don't play games around drinking...recovery is too precious
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if you're an alcoholic and beer is your drink of choice you can backslide to the real thing very easily. just my personal experience
Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not familar with NA beer, but I like to get a fruit smoothie in a cute margarita cup and float around my pool
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the no sugar seltzer water type drinks as a beer substitute. I have friends with years of sobriety who drink NA beers but frankly I'm afraid of them.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

there is alcohol in NA beer. for me it would be russian roulette.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank to get drunk, so I never saw the point of NA beer.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have tried a couple, but it just keeps me in the mindset that I am missing something.

It keeps the illusion/myth/Brainwashing alive.

Alcohell does not tastes nice, think back to your early days when you first started tasting it ? Once addicted, in which most drinkers are, only then we are convinced it tastes nice.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I was warned to stay away from non alcoholic beer and wine because it still contains a very small amount of alcohol in it regardless, and it is a trigger for most people. I drank to get wasted, not just for the taste. If I drink one of them it will only make me want the real thing and I can't put that back into my body.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We cook with wine and there's always wine in the 'fridge, but like FormerBeerLover, I drank to get drunk and a bathtub full of near-beer wouldn't even register on my drunk-0-meter. I don't bother with the stuff.

I think intent speaks more to whether we're maintaining our sobriety. I know people in recovery who are Orthodox Christians, lots of them around here, and they partake of wine to celebrate communion. They approach it as a sacrament and don't consider it backsliding and don't experience cravings as a result of the drink.

To me, NA beer just doesn't taste that good.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I use NA beer in cooking (makes a great liquid for braised short ribs!) but I'd never drink it. Not because I think it would mess with my head, but because I don't think it tastes good as a beverage. If I want to drink something refreshing or festive, I go with italian soda.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not sure I see the point of NA beer, to be honest. There was a time when I might have done, but that was (not saying how many) years ago.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by NewHouse2012 View Post
I don't want to relapse but kinda considered my ice cold bottle a little treat today. Am I setting myself up? Sure doesn't feel like it...
Considering there are soooo many non-alcoholic options, why fake beer?

What caught my eye was your use of the term "treat." Today you are treating yourself to NA beer, maybe next week the treat will be "just one" real beer.

Careful how you justify your choices. Your addiction is subtle and cunning. Just a thought.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I was never much of a beer drinker, but my husband was (along with his whiskey). He got sober for about a month and then decided that it he missed the taste of beer, so he started drinking NA beer. A couple of weeks later, he was back on the whiskey and is still drinking. I honestly think the NA beer had a lot to do with it.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

everages but i was only fooling myself.

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Considering there are soooo many non-alcoholic options, why fake beer?
I claimed to like the taste of beer over other beverages, but I was only fooling myself. Now that I see the truth about my excuses to drink, Root Beer tastes better than any alcoholic beer I ever had. Ginger Ale is the best Ale and lemon-aid beats any Margarita.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

To each his own, if it doesn't cause problems for you then enjoy.

I have a NA beer on occasion, with raw seafood because to me washing down a raw clam or oyster with Ice cold beer tasted good, and now since I no longer drink the real stuff I have one N.A.

other than that I find no use for it.

Good luck and enjoy,