Notices

where to start?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Welcome Bluelgune, I'm so happy for you that you are taking this first step.

I'd suggest spending a lot of time here on SR reading and getting to know some of the different methods and tools people use to live sober. Also get some reading material on sobriety.....local library, there is also tons free to read online, or available on amazon etc.

I found that doing that during early recovery helped me develop a language about addiction/recovery so I could put my feelings and experiences into words and into context.

Then when some uncomfortable feelings started rising, rather than having to drown them out, I had words, ideas, "ah ha!" moments etc...things that had been a whirlwind of chaos before now started to have labels, explanation and made some sense.

I was, at long last able to begin sorting things out.

spend the time you used to spend drinking, reading or hanging out here. And start to take note of the types of situations, times, etc that make you feel especially itchy to drink...it sounds like you are already aware of several of them...but that is both a useful tool for self awareness and a game that keeps you sleuthing rather than boozing!