Notices

drinking days

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking days

Be honest--is there anything you miss from your drinking days?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No way. I don't miss the extreme anxiety the morning after followed by fear and self loathing.

I definitely surpassed the fun stage by a long shot.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, all the things I thought I enjoyed drunk turned out illusional at best deadly at worst.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sure, sometimes. The buzz, the laughing a little more at funny things, how it tastes with a smoke. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss it as a whole and I'm glad I don't do it anymore. It got outta hand. But sometimes, sure.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Not anymore bc it quit being funl The early days in my early twenties it was fun having drinks and laughs with friends then over this past few years alcohol threw me into severe psycho depressions so I dont miss it,
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I miss is how (some) music sounded much better when drunk. I had to stop listening to most of my favorite music when I got sober, simply because I no longer liked it - that was quite weird at first.

Some of my favorite movies that I always watched when hangover, and just drinking a few, no longer makes me feel as happy (or whatever you could call it) I kinda miss that.

And there's also some drinking moments I kinda miss.

Alcohol was mostly not pleasant at all for me to abuse, but there were a very few good things, and I accept that.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used up all my fun tickets a long time before I quit

What are you missing B?
D
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

handcuffs, pukin on myself, pissin on my shoes, black eyes, not knowin where i am when i wake up, gettin fired form many good jobs, getting evicted, givin away my belongings to the pawn shop, wakin up and lookin under my vehicle to see if theres anyone there....... nope, dont miss it. never had any fun because i hated myself before i even took that 1st drink at about 13.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Almost everyone will say no... but they all did it...
And so did l.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Creativity is the only thing which comes to my musical mind - while having a buzz creativity would awaken very easy. Other than that, not really.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Okla. I agree with Innerchild. I miss the early days, when it was still just fun and relaxing. In the beginning I never imagined it would take me down so painfully. So when I start missing it, I remind myself of the black hole I ended up in.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I used up all my fun tickets a long time before I quit

What are you missing B?
D
Actually so far (again) nothing. I find myself happier when sober. The first few days are gut wrenching. Im on the down hill now and feel good. Im hung up on the idea of it. Hanging with friends, being the life of the party, glass of wine with dinner......truth is....i ruined all my friendships, was never the life of the party I was the one everyone pointed at or avoided, and Ive never had a glass of wine with dinner...I have 2-3 bottles before the manager of the resturant catches wind and asks me to leave.

So for today I dont miss my old "friend" at all.

I appreciate you asking Dee!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No- But it was not all a veil of tears. I had some great times. Booze turned on me however
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
No- But it was not all a veil of tears. I had some great times. Booze turned on me however

Yeah...it stabbed me in the back too.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At first...I missed Jazz Clubs...quit listening to the music at home too
Missed going up to the rooftop pool that first summer.

The past years in AA recovery have enriched my life immensley.
So glad I kept moving forward...regardless of temporary feelings.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

I remember the old days, but to miss something, not so sure. If anything, I miss the weed buzz, I loved that, but I don't want to go back to it as it's not worth it now. It had it's place in my life and for that, in many ways I am grateful to have done what I've done. Like a former lover, those were the good ol' days!

I don't romanticize those days, but I can remember them with fondness. Of course my memory isn't so great for specifics and I don't miss that part....

I think I've had enough. Today, every day has something to look forward to and in my past, I can't say there was much to look forward to other than numbing the pain in the end. It's time to move on to a new chapter in my life and I am enjoying it so far.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

In the early days, before alcohol enjoyment became alcoholism, I did enjoy that nice, warm feeling/buzz that would come over me with the first drink. I felt relaxed, happy, contented and calm. In the end, I couldn't get drunk anymore but I couldn't get sober either. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss "the early days" when I could drink somewhat normally, but I don't miss the end result ... the hangovers, looking 10 years older than I really am, feeling weak, overwhelmed and sickly, and worst of all, waking up in the morning with no recollection of the often horrible things I did/said to the people I love.

And as much fun as the early days were ... I wouldn't trade one minute of my sobriety for them. I'm having much more fun now than I ever did then.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I can be nostalgic about my youth and the crazy times I had with my friends way back when. That being said, my drinking for at least 10 years had little to do with friend and fun. I don't miss what it became.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I miss certain things about my social drinking days. I miss nothing about my alcoholic drinking days.

And during my alcoholic drinking days, I missed my sobriety days more than anything.