Notices

Tell me something that you can laugh at now..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell me something that you can laugh at now..

I thought to myself at the beginning, that I was afraid of A.A.They were all bible beaters, they had problems etc.. When I finally went, I found something very different, but I said Wow, one meeting a week, that's a lot. Now I look forward to my two meetings a week, and might throw a third in from time to time.

I laugh at the fact that i was scared to go, and I laugh at the fact that I thought one meeting a week was too much of a time commitment..

I revel in the fact that I have made the right choice, and I belong there...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I came into the rooms through court. I had to get a sheet signed twice a week. I hated meetings, mainly because of fear.

Now I go almost every day.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i can laugh at my sick thinking that i was unique!!! no one knew what i was going through in my head!
read a story in the 1st edition of the BB. the titled is "fired again!" i said," i gotta rad that because i know how that feels!" turns out is was me!! only the mans drinking career started somewhere like 1918!!!

mostly, i can laugh at how i was because now i can see the insanity of it when at the time i dont recall ever thinkin i might a wee bit insane.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In many AA meetings....the Promises are read
For months I did not hear this word..:Fear: in this one
"Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us"
Rather disappointed when no new cash appeared. .

Here are the AA 9th Step Promises ..for those who have no idea what I am talking about...
BTW...they really have come true for me....

"We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone,
we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things
and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle
situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us
what we could not do for ourselves."

Alcoholics Anonymous, Pages 83/84
First Edition
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am really enjoying the process of learning how I have gotten in my own way, "my part in it". I am becoming more aware of how annoying/controlling/judging I can be. I was at a friends house the other day - I almost told him he was washing his dishes wrong! Because of sobriety, I sat there noticing my emotions - and said nothing. I can laugh now as I become aware of my own defects of character that drove me to the obsession of alcoholism.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can laugh at the fact that I used to think everyone regularly got belligerently drunk. In reality, it was just me and my drinking buddies (and other people with drinking problems). These days, I don’t regularly associate with ANYONE who gets hammered drunk, let alone gets wasted several times a week.

I also think it’s funny that I used to have to deal with hangovers. At the risk of sounding redundant, hangovers are such a waste of time…
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How's this for a chuckle...

Since I use my computer for work, whenever I used to load up my browser and type in www. it would fill in the rest with my work email.

Now, lately, I have noticed that it loads up Drug Rehabilitation | Drug Addiction Treatment Center | Alcoholism | Addiction Mental Health | Directory Substance Abuse Detox Programs | SoberRecovery instead. Which means I'm checking SR more than I check my work email!!!

It was a little annoying at first, until I realized that it's actually a good sign. That and the fact that I've been sober for over two months!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midnightapt View Post
I can laugh at the fact that I used to think everyone regularly got belligerently drunk. In reality, it was just me and my drinking buddies (and other people with drinking problems). These days, I don’t regularly associate with ANYONE who gets hammered drunk, let alone gets wasted several times a week.

I also think it’s funny that I used to have to deal with hangovers. At the risk of sounding redundant, hangovers are such a waste of time…
Yes, I can relate to everything you said. I had myself convinced my drinking was not that bad as all my friends liked a drink, but most of them did not drink as much as me.

And the hangovers, oh God, I was always taking paracetamol in the mornings. I can't remember the last time I bought it now
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FattyMcFatty View Post
I thought to myself at the beginning, that I was afraid of A.A.They were all bible beaters, they had problems etc.. When I finally went, I found something very different, but I said Wow, one meeting a week, that's a lot. Now I look forward to my two meetings a week, and might throw a third in from time to time.

I laugh at the fact that i was scared to go, and I laugh at the fact that I thought one meeting a week was too much of a time commitment..

I revel in the fact that I have made the right choice, and I belong there...
I laugh at the fact that I first went in to AA and would cry and say I was terrible...I had no idea, that I was supposed to save that for a sponsor! LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I laugh at the fact that I used to think once you joined AA/NA you had to remain sober or else. That joining meant you had conquered your disease and now you sit in a room with others and talk about how stupid people were that still drank/used.... How far from the truth. In the short time I've been around, I've seen a few people with over a decade go back out and more then a few with a few years. Its sad, but laughable at how I used to think.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can sorta laugh at the fact that the last year I was drinking, I would always buy only one six-pack, I guess I was hoping that maybe that would be enough, and I would for some very strange reason lose interest in drinking more than that.
Well, I always ended up buying 4 more six-packs right after the first was finished.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l don't have very much to laugh about sadly.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I kind of thought AA was like Weight Watchers....

After a month or so I kind of got the gist of it. But what I thought was insane was someone mentioning taking a flight without alcohol. I said of course you can drink in a plane. It's in the sky!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I laugh at when I saw a guy get his 5 year chip and I asked if he brought his blood test with him or if they tested him there...the "telling the truth thing" blew my friggin mind.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I first started going to meetings, I heard over and over again "don't drink and go to meetings!" and I thought who in their right mind would go to the bar before an aa meeting?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I can laugh at how stupid I used to be. Like getting so drunk I dont remember last summer....at all...lol. It is funny to me now because I know I'm a good person today.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I second all of those who said none of it is funny.

I look back and cringe or hate myself, but i never look back at my drinking history and laugh at any of it.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not in a laugh out loud kind of way...but I cannot believe how I used to look in the mirror every day to see if the whites of my eyes looked yellow...and if not I was good for another day of drinking.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Muunray, good heavens that brought back memories. All the steps to avoid liver troubles.

Gingko Biloba for my memory, Milk Thistle for my liver, and St. Johns Wort for that low feeling I had, in the morning with a mult-vitamin. In the evening Vodka, lots of it or beer when the vodka ran out.

Then came the discolored urine. The Alta Vista (pre Google days) search, all the hits read CIRHOSSIS OF THE LIVER.

The death sentence, the foxhole prayer, the "Mom was right", the tears, the drama all in a span of 5 minutes. Then the "OH BTW" in the article about cirhossis, that food dye and some multi-vitamins can cause discoloration.

Let's see, DAY GLO green urine, GREEN multi-vitamins.

Tears turn to laughter, which turns to "Whew, I need a drink".
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I can laugh today. Real honest to goodness laughing. It's great for the soul! Sobriety is FUN!