Notices

Happy New Year and.....

Old 01-01-2004, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Happy New Year and.....

Folks, I find myself here....and it's quite disconcerting! I've known that I drink to much too often and now I think I want to do something about it. I'm drinking tonight....I'm quite sick of it. I do not drink in the A.M. or if I'm working. I seem to drink when I'm home at night alone. I tend to drink until I'm drunk and that is what has got me thinking it's time to stop.... I'm not a violent or mean person.... I just feel that I'd be better off stopping. I used to drink only beer then I started drinking wine, now I drink vodka straight not chilled or mixed.... I want to change my life. My family is probably gonna think I'm losing it as they don't understand, but I feel if I don't stop it'll be the end of me. My folks are Irish and my married family is Italian, wine and whatever. My Dad owned a bar when I was a kid, he owned it for 20+ years..... I bought a CD from selfhelp anyone know if they work? I've never given it more than a couple of days... I know this is a tough row to sow, please help me as I feel I'm ready to put and end to drinking. I'm not a feely touchy type Thank you, and Happy New Year.

Last edited by M-N1891; 01-01-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome To SR

so glad you are here.

A super book about the dissease of alcoholism is...

"Under The Influence" by Dr. James Milam and K. Ketcham
Amazon carries it about $8.

I also suggest seeing your doctor before you quit. De toxing is a serious undertaking and can be dangerous to attemp alone.

AA is my recovery nethod...Meetings are full of support and understanding. Please post again...we are here to help YOU. :shades:
Old 01-01-2004, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Me Again M

here is info on Withdrawal

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...9788.html#what

I hope you find a way to go forward...Sobriety Rocks!!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am so happy you are seeking help. It is difficult but, rewarding. You can't worry about family or friends, and what they might think. There is plenty of help if you seek it. The first thing I'd suggest is you consult a doctor. A doctor can help you be safe and with the side effects. We, can help with support and encouragement. Just remember, if you drink don't give up. keep posting and share your feelings. I would also suggest you find a support group. You can join one, and then shop around for one that fits. Don W
Old 01-02-2004, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there ! I would like to add my welcome . You have found a great place for support and friendship.

I cant really add anything to what Don and Carol have said , I too, advise you to consult your doctor, and be truthful with him about your drinking, and take his advice regarding withdrawal.

I am only 73 days sober myself, so am very new to this journey, I have chosen AA as my method of recovery, and have found them invaluable .

Hope to see you around often

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-04-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi M-N and welcome!

Glad you found us! There are many options to recovery, gander at the various forums see what you can relate to and seek out a means of support. Be it AA which has worked miracles for me, counseling, church, support groups.. something.. we all know to well this can't be done alone as our failed attempts to do have been proven. So good luck, keep coming back, we've been there done that, and will help you wherever you need support!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. I am feeling quite well and do not desire to get drunk. I talked to my wife right after I posted here and we talked for some time. She is behind me and is very supportive. I think things are going to turn much better for me in the comming future.... I will be checking in periodically, especially if I think I may relapse. Again thanks to all your support is appreciated more than you know. M-N
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well..