Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Risk of prescribed medications causing MORE liver damage in recovery from Alcoholism

Notices

Risk of prescribed medications causing MORE liver damage in recovery from Alcoholism

Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am only 2 months and have had massive problems eating (thanks for comments on previous thread!) I was prescribed a drug for anxiety / depression/ inappetence (not sure if i can mention names) when i read the data sheet it said BE CAREFUL if you jave a raised ALT!! I panicked as i had started the drug and asked the psychiatrist - he said "don't worry all data sheets say these things" "your liver will be fine!!!" (he actually said this)- - I did my own research and it seemed this drug was potentially hepatotoxic in 2% of people so i told my GP who is super- she ordered tests and in the 5 days of taking the meds my ALT had gone from 2 x normal when i stopped drinking - to 5 x normal (in 5 days!!!) this has not helped my anxiety
I think we need to remember that we have damaged our livers and they may be more sensitive to other potentially hepatotoxic agents - so BE CAREFUL - scrurtinize what you are prescribed- don't be brushed aside when you query something as the medics aren't always correct (at least in the Old Dart)
D
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We can't give medical advice on SR...I'm really glad you did check
with your GP on how best to proceed.

All my best as you continue to heal...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Know and care for your own body. I am glad you kept seeking medical knowledge for yourself.

Are you working any kind of program of recovery? AT 2 months, you are just starting to heal well.

Peace,
Old 05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A close friend in the program is a physician and a big help in these areas. My dentist has almost 30 years and a very good program.

HOWEVER.

This is what happened. My sober dentist told me I had to get a very deep cleaning done by an endodontist. They've known each other forever. For the cleaning I was to be put to sleep by taking two Haldol. So I told the new dentist to ask my sober dentist who said he thought that was fine. So I fell asleep, knocked me out. Problem is when I woke up I was staggering, couldn't stand up. A friend came and took me home and I fell into bed. It was identical to being very drunk. I had to go to daily meetings for a week and share about it before the craving left. The thing was neither my dentist or the endondist knew I was taking another medication which boosted the effect of the Haldol.

So yes, certainly be careful.